Jaguar E-Type

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that far from being the most beautiful car ever made it's actually one of the ugliest?

That big bulbous body and stupidly small wheels, and that's just for starters.

Another example of, if you say something often enough people will eventually believe it.

P.S. I don't care what Enzo Ferrari said about them. He's also wrong. ;-)
Silk

Postby Angus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't much like the look of it either, but I'm still glad that it exists and if an e-type is someone's dream car, then good luck to them.
Angus

Postby Custom24 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Silk wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that far from being the most beautiful car ever made it's actually one of the ugliest?

So, what would be the most beautiful car ever made, in your opinion?
Custom24

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Custom24 wrote:
Silk wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that far from being the most beautiful car ever made it's actually one of the ugliest?

That's a difficult question. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a beautiful car. I tend to be drawn to cars that possess functional elegance. In some ways, although I've never owned one, a VW Golf fits the description, whereas a Nissan Juke does not, if you get what I mean.

If I was pushed and had to go for beauty, I suppose it would have to be an Aston Martin or modern Jag. I'm looking for the car equivalent of Concorde - a beauty that results from being the best way of achieving the desired result without unnecessary "styling".
Silk

Postby martine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:35 pm

You cannot be serious...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Custom24 wrote:

Is Silk actually Alan Partridge? :lol:
jont

Postby martine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Silk wrote:That's a difficult question. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a beautiful car. I tend to be drawn to cars that possess functional elegance...I'm looking for the car equivalent of Concorde - a beauty that results from being the best way of achieving the desired result without unnecessary "styling".

?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:15 pm

I sort of with you on this one Silk. Wouldn't go so far as to say they're ugly, but certainly over-hyped looks-wise.

I know what you mean about 'functional elegance' , 80's German metal shines in this regard - mk1&2 Golfs, E30 and E34 BMWs and Porsche 924s are all brilliant pieces of design. More recently, I think the BMW Z4 coupe is a stunner and the Ferrari 456 is completely underrated from a styling POV. The Ford GT and Merc SLS win in the retro camp, and the Disco looks as tough and utilitarian as it should.
jameslb101

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:46 pm

I think it probably depends how old you are, and how much you like stirring ...

Personally I'm very fond of these:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:48 pm

martine wrote:You cannot be serious...

Yuk!

Your Focus is a much better looking car. As well as being more practical, faster, more reliable and more economical.
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Silk wrote:Your Focus is a much better looking car. As well as being more practical, faster, more reliable and more economical.

... and 50 years newer ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:06 pm

That big bulbous body and stupidly small wheels, and that's just for starters.

Another example of, if you say something often enough people will eventually believe it.

P.S. I don't care what Enzo Ferrari said about them. He's also wrong. ;-)

I don't know about the E-type being the most beautiful car ever made, but to me it is certainly one of the leading contenders for the title.

To my mind the most unattractive (not to say weird) styling is to be found on some of the designs seen in the last few years. My own nominations would include:

Fiat Multipla - weird front end.
Honda Civic - Very unattractively hunch-backed in the rear three-quarter view.
Nissan Juke - should that be joke?
Range Rover Evogue - looks as if an unusually fat arsed elephant sat on the rear of its roof.
Renault Megane (shakin' that ass).

Some of the above models may be very popular - most notably the Civic, for example - but to my eye they are not at all attractive; rather like the attire now chosen by many women. I can remember a time (1950s and 1960s) when pretty girls dressed to look attractive, and most of them did, bless 'em. That, of course, was before the fashion 'industry' took leave of its senses, and most of the gullible public went along with all the nonsense and started buying the over-priced rubbish.

Bah, humbug!! I is not a dedicated follower of fashion.

The customary 'best wishes to all' may return in a few days, but alas the Christmas Spirit has not yet arrived.
D. :P
TripleS

Postby martine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Silk wrote:
martine wrote:You cannot be serious...

Yuk!

Your Focus is a much better looking car. As well as being more practical, faster, more reliable and more economical.

Def. more practical, quicker accelerating (but not faster), more reliable and more economical (just!) but I thought we were talking about looks and I cannot agree my Focus is a good looking car (in the scale things).

Of course it's very subjective...but I think you do a disservice accusing anyone who loves the looks of an e-type as simply following the crowd.

James: personally I prefer the Ferrari 458 over the 456 and I really can't see a Porsche 924 as being anything special at all (engineering or looks-wise).
martine

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think it probably depends how old you are, and how much you like stirring ...

Personally I'm very fond of these:

I agree. Nice houses. But why has someone dumped an old car on that bit of grass. :shock:
Silk

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 pm

martine wrote:James: personally I prefer the Ferrari 458 over the 456 and I really can't see a Porsche 924 as being anything special at all (engineering or looks-wise).

In general, I prefer the looks of front engined cars, especially the "cab back" stance of things like the aforementioned Z4 coupe, but the Morgan Aeromax and Caterham 7 are other good examples. I'd buy (in fact bought) a mid-engined car for how they drive, but they're not as well proportioned as something with a long bonnet IMO. There are exceptions to this, like the one I mentioned earlier and the one I'm about to mention.

The 458 just looks quite vulgar to me, it was better about three generations ago in the shape of the F355.

Then again, this whole discussion is a bit pointless as it's all "in the eye of the beholder", but interesting anyway.
jameslb101

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum