Jaguar E-Type

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Nothing wrong with mid-engined cars:
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Ah, good man. I wondered if the 246 would make an appearance. I thought of posting it (it's my current desktop wallpaper) but thought maybe another 60s car would be too much for poor Silk :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 pm

[/url] http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/ ... etype.html[url]

Just one reference pulled from ''Net, no debate in my mind.
Form followed function, using tools of the the time, it was a wow upon revelation and has remained so.
Do not forget its price either, bargain at the time, probably not equalled until the era of the Japanese rally reps.
I would say it was very much in the same vein as Concorde.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Silk wrote:Another example of, if you say something often enough people will eventually believe it.

No, people saw it at launch and went "wow".
It is one of those artefacts that is timeless.
No matter how you choose to provide steering inputs. :)
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby martine » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Sorry to resurrect a previous post here but while we're on the subject of pretty cars...

Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 pm

jont wrote:Nothing wrong with mid-engined cars:

Surprised you didn't mention the Miura. Along with the E-type that's the other people seem to love so much. Neither of them are bad designs, but there is some bandwagoning I'm sure when there are so many other good (if not better) looking cars around.
jameslb101

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:40 pm

martine wrote:Sorry to resurrect a previous post here but while we're on the subject of pretty cars...

Is that a real car? It looks like a peddle-car I had when I was 5.
Silk

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 am

martine wrote:Sorry to resurrect a previous post here but while we're on the subject of pretty cars...

It is a bit peddle-car, but what I really like about this is the strong ratio between door to wheelacrch and wheelarch to front bumper. It just signifies a longitudinal engine which in turn shouts out RWD. So much better than today's FWD cars which have a really weak ratio here, visually implying nose heaviness and a packaging/cost over dynamics mindset from the manufacturer. I actually have nothing agaist FWD on a moderately powered road car, but this visual implication is underrated, as it surely must act in the subconscience of a potential customer. Or maybe I've drunk too much and I'm talking shit; someone help me out here.
jameslb101

Postby waremark » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 am

jameslb101 wrote:Then again, this whole discussion is a bit pointless as it's all "in the eye of the beholder", but interesting anyway.

Yes - and the E Type has scored highly in the eyes of an unusually large proportion of beholders over the long period since its introduction.

In my eyes, the two best looking cars mentioned so far in this thread are the E Type and the Dino 246.

What do people think is the best looking sports car made today - Aston Vanquish anyone?
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:15 am

jameslb101 wrote:...maybe I've drunk too much and I'm talking shit; someone help me out here.

For the benefit of both of you, it's spelt "pedal". HTH :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:26 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:...maybe I've drunk too much and I'm talking shit; someone help me out here.

Yes, it is isn't it :oops:

Unless of course I meant peddle :wink:
jameslb101

Postby Silk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 am

jameslb101 wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

Yes, it is isn't it :oops:

Unless of course I meant peddle :wink:

I actually mis-spelt it differently and the spell checker made it even worse :shock: I think it's a rather nice pedal-car, as pedal-cars go. I haven't had a drink since August, so I have no excuse. :lol:
Silk

Postby martine » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:04 pm

So Silk what do you think of my earlier suggestion for perhaps an ultimate form over function car?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:54 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Silk wrote:Another example of, if you say something often enough people will eventually believe it.

No, people saw it at launch and went "wow".

That's probably because anyone who said "yuk" would have been fired.
Silk

Postby stefan einz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:29 am

I love the E-Type's shape, but am not so keen on how it drives!

Agree very much this is all very personal, but I do tend to prefer designs where form follows function. My personal all-time favourite is the Carrera GT - probably the only car that looks as wonderful "naked" as it does fully clothed. Truly an exemplary example of engineering design resulting in - to my eyes - a beautiful shape. And unlike the E-Type, the driving experience matches the looks - and then some.

In the "naked" image you can see the monocoque and the engine carrier frame, as well as the inboard pushrod suspension. Just gorgeous.

It also sound fantastic - first 10 seconds is my car at the Ring (the later shots are a different, modified car).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBX3uPG ... 1137C15B7B
stefan einz

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum