New IAM Website

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:16 pm

Step forward or backwards?

You decide.
Darren

Postby Nigel » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:44 am

It looks easier to navigate.

Its a bit "narrow"
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:49 am

LOL, tip number 27, move over for bikers !

The IAM asking you to move over so a bike can UNDERTAKE you lol lol lol

Oh sorry, I forgot, when someone wants the manouvre to not be their responsibility...they call it filtering.

It must be me, I'm getting old
Nigel

Postby rodericksdad » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43 am

on the subject of bikers i was travelling between Crowle and Goole today on the A161 at about11.30 am when there was a huge amount of bikers came upto me from the rear,all i can say is well done lads they were a credit to the biking fraternity,pity all dont act as you all did,respect for other road users and passed all with such ease and proffesionalism it was a pleasure to be passed by this lot,cheers lads and possibly lasses you have restored my faith,ta,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby crr003 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:33 am

Darren wrote:Step forward or backwards?

You decide.

Well, it can only be forwards eventually.....

Shame they can't call Roadcraft by it's proper title on the books page.

And I can't find anything on Special Assessment.

And I wondered where the forum had gone as I don't get emails anymore........

Good job I have ADUK to rely on! :)
crr003

Postby waremark » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:08 pm

Much more cautious than the previous version about the description of SFL - 'Test Preparation' and 'Observed Drives' whereas the previous version referred to a course. I wonder why they have decided to be more cautious.

No Group lookup by postcode - I always thought this was an important feature.

Drive Check sold proactively for the 'discounted' price of £25. I think that offering this as a product and charging for it may bring more people into the full observed drive process as well as giving others who never go onto IAM the benefit of some contact with IAM ideas. I wonder what people think are the objectives for feedback after a driving assessment?

New forum - if it is easy to get into and it works well I can see that it may be a satisfactory replacement to the current mail list, but it does not look good at first glance.

Have just read Darrens post elsewhere on the loss of all existing links - sounds very wasteful!
waremark

Postby Lady Godiva » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:43 pm

It may be just me, but I dont like it. However, I don't like chage, which is why I've stuck with an idiot of a Husband for so long.

That aside, can anyone tell me how to log in. I've gone to the sign in page, and it says "enter membership number as username and surname as password" so I did, and it says I'm not recognised.

Any clues anyone.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby Nigel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:30 pm

I'll get my details and try to log in,,, how long you been in Sally ?
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 pm

I couldn't sign in using the quick login method either

I did however manage to sign on using the full sign up page.

The forum, although better than the auto spamming e-mail list they had is very very basic, I've put them a link to here so they can see how Darren has done it, hopefully it will give them ideas.

I wonder what would happen if we link to a topic there ?....lets see : http://www.iam.org.uk/iammembers/member ... a4b9592b6e

Can anyone view that ? ( I can, but then I would, I've written it, and I'm signed in).
Nigel

Postby crr003 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Nigel wrote:Can anyone view that ?

No - sorry, not me.
crr003

Postby MikeG » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:45 pm

No,just opens a new blank window :shock:
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:18 am

Blank page before I signed in, correct link when signed in.

Signed in using lower case for my name. No probs.

Have posted as follows:

I have not seen such an awkward forum interface before.

I liked my Daily Digests from the email list, and hate to lose them. It looks like we are going to lose a lot of the good contributors to the email lists too.

Specific requests to improve the usability of the new forum are:

Remember login details
Ability to remain logged in
Ability to check list of replies to my posts, and posts since my last visit
Ability to read threads without having to scroll down individual messages, and to open each new message individually
Wider text width to make messages easier to read
waremark

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:32 am

I'm very happy with the new IAM website. Sorry to be the only one though (but generally IAM members don't usually like change in my experience<<Joke! :lol:). I like the new forum, I HATE mailing lists, UGH! I DO NOT want e-mails every time someone posts something, so I decided not to use the IAM "forum" for that reason.

Now that it's a web forum like this one, I will be using it. :)

In order to log in you have to sign up first. Ignore what it says about the surname and member number it doesn't work. Obviously got a few teething problems, but I think it's a very professional website. Well done IAM HQ I say.

Although the only thing is you have to click on each individual post in a thread to view it.

P.S. The text width and font is fine, no need to change it. If you have trouble with your eyesight just increase text by one size in your browser.
Last edited by jibberjabber25 on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby crr003 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:50 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:However, I don't like chage, which is why I've stuck with an idiot of a Husband for so long.

Well I hope he doesn't look at this web site! (Or does he know?) :)
crr003

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:15 pm

crr003 wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:However, I don't like chage, which is why I've stuck with an idiot of a Husband for so long.

Well I hope he doesn't look at this web site! (Or does he know?) :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum