US drink drive report

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Russ_H » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 pm

I thought this was a spoof at first, but now I'm not so sure.

http://news.msn.com/offbeat/cyclist-driver-didnt-see-me-stuck-in-windshield
Russ_H

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:49 pm

We have plenty of similarly-challenged drivers over here (whether there is any suggestion of DD being involved I don't know) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25816281
Ancient

Postby Gareth » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm

A newspaper report includes a photo taken a little later the same day, still showing the low sun. A trial report from another newspaper gives some details but doesn't indicate which vehicle was driven over the cyclist.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Yeah, kinda irritates that "low sun" seems to be an accepted excuse to drive into something on the road, it has been done (and succeeded) a few times! Low sun? Fog? Blinded by oncoming lights? Can't see what might be in that patch of road? Then slow down until you can! Apparently a normally careful and considerate motorist is no longer expected to do so (from other cases - will see what happens on this one).
Ancient

Postby jont » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Ancient wrote:Yeah, kinda irritates that "low sun" seems to be an accepted excuse to drive into something on the road, it has been done (and succeeded) a few times! Low sun? Fog? Blinded by oncoming lights? Can't see what might be in that patch of road? Then slow down until you can! Apparently a normally careful and considerate motorist is no longer expected to do so (from other cases - will see what happens on this one).

But if you aren't breaking the speed limit, you can't be driving too fast, so clearly it's someone/something elses fault when you crash :roll:
jont

Postby Russ_H » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 pm

I enjoy cycling, but I don't ride on public roads, simply because of incidents like these. If someone doesn't see you, your survival is down to pot luck. I now chuck the bike into the back of the car and find a suitable off-road site.

Along similar lines, I retired from motorcycling a few years ago. However, I can look back fondly on many bike trips. In particular, I remember with pleasure a glorious week on Skye, with roads like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/1eIqs
Russ_H

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 pm

I seem to recall an 'incident' where a driver continued on for 12 miles with a motorcycle embedded in the front of his car . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 pm

jont wrote:
Ancient wrote:Yeah, kinda irritates that "low sun" seems to be an accepted excuse to drive into something on the road, it has been done (and succeeded) a few times! Low sun? Fog? Blinded by oncoming lights? Can't see what might be in that patch of road? Then slow down until you can! Apparently a normally careful and considerate motorist is no longer expected to do so (from other cases - will see what happens on this one).

But if you aren't breaking the speed limit, you can't be driving too fast, so clearly it's someone/something elses fault when you crash :roll:

Perhaps a speed limit mentality has come about aided and abetted by speed cameras.
That is until it comes to the crunch when the full force of forensic investigation may be put against you.
Just a thought :)
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Return to General Car Chat Forum