Drivers duty to inform police of driving offences?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:13 pm

StressedDave wrote: (unless you're really, really petty)

Thing is though, some people are that petty. If we want the world to be a pleasant and civilised place, making sure those people know that everybody hates them and they belong at the bottom of a canal tied to a lump of concrete has got to be a higher priority than road safety.
GJD

Postby Slink_Pink » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm

dombooth wrote:
Lingo wrote:Going ever so slightly off-topic, but on the theme of reporting drivers generally, what are people's thoughts on reporting drivers doing something careless or dangerous to someone's employer/organisation if they see one of those 'how's my driving?' signs on the back of the vehicle with a telephone number?
Do the organisations take people who report such behaviour seriously? I'm guessing so if the vehicles have such a sign in the first place. Does anyone know what action organisations/employers normally or can take with such reported calls of allegations of bad driving of their vehicles?

Lingo

From experience they treat it seriously, I reported a sign written van driver to his employer for running a red light and he was suspended.

Dom

I know of one company for which I used to drive for that had a dim view of complaints received from the public about driver behaviour. I have also reported a bus driver (he was smoking, eating and drinking - I used the free on-board wifi to inform the bus company!) who, it was claimed, had suitable disciplinary action taken. It does reflect poorly on the company in my eyes at least.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby MGF » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 pm

GJD wrote:
StressedDave wrote: (unless you're really, really petty)

Thing is though, some people are that petty. If we want the world to be a pleasant and civilised place, making sure those people know that everybody hates them and they belong at the bottom of a canal tied to a lump of concrete has got to be a higher priority than road safety.

The driver's employer may not agree with you as to what is petty and what is not. There isn't going to much room in the canal if we put everyone there who disagrees with you.
MGF

Postby cliftonite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:13 pm

MGF wrote:There's a blue and white arrow sign on the traffic lights. He turns left and does a 'U' turn immediately in the road he has turned into.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Aldgat ... 74,,0,5.15

Thank you.

The lorry driver was a very, very naughty boy after all, then!
cliftonite

Postby dombooth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby sussex2 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm

The lorry driver was a mildly naughty boy/girl and that's about it really.
As Henry 5th said before embarking from Southampton:

'If little faults, proceeding on distemper,
Shall not be wink'd at, how shall we stretch our eye
When capital crimes, chew'd, swallow'd and digested,
Appear before us?'

I would see no reason to report the driver concerned and who knows what pressures they were under? Nor would I report any other driver unless their actions come as near as dammit to causing death or injury.
To have an eye on ones own driving to ensure you are not involved in the mistakes or foolishness of others is more important than telling tales.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:23 pm

I think the main idea of How's my Driving is to encourage good driving - similar to giving young drivers the dreaded 'boxes'.
waremark

Postby sussex2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm

If you mean the insurance industry boxes then as always what you use to protect can be used against you.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby PeterE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:53 pm

michael769 wrote:
By submitting the video evidence to the police then does this make me a vigilante who operates within the law, or just a law abiding individual who would report a crime like a house burglary to the police?

Neither. Frankly I would describe it as a being busybody with an axe to grind.

Agreed.

I can't see that it's appropriate for private motorists to report alleged offences to the police unless something seriously dangerous or potentially life-threatening has occurred.

Nobody respects a sneak or prodnose.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Stephen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm

I for one will listen to someone who on the face of it has either witnessed or been subject to poor driving standards the main problem is having no evidence to back it up,either damage at scene if RTC or video evidence from within said vehicle.
I will however assess the area that it is alledgedly took place and see if there is any either council cctv or nearby premises that might assist,if not the most I would do dependant on what has occurred go and speak to the PNC keeper.
As for offences when off duty like middle lane hogging and mobile phone etc,then I just put it down to experience and I have a camera fitted in my car but it's not for driving round looking for the above offences,if the Police took every report of poor driving on then they would never get the important things done like attending the reports of RTCs etc.
I know a lot of you would say that we do nothing any way but you are entitled to your opinion and I am just answering on the topic which we are discussing and not going off on a tangent. LOL.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby waremark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Stephen wrote:I for one will listen to someone who on the face of it has either witnessed or been subject to poor driving standards the main problem is having no evidence to back it up,either damage at scene if RTC or video evidence from within said vehicle.

Hi Stephen. I am not quite sure what you are saying in this post. Are you saying that you encourage members of the public to use video cameras and provide video evidence of poor driving to the police?
waremark

Postby dombooth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:59 pm

PeterE wrote:I can't see that it's appropriate for private motorists to report alleged offences to the police unless something seriously dangerous or potentially life-threatening has occurred.

So by your vision it's better to report it only if something terrible has come of it? You wouldn't prefer to report the drunk driver before he kills someone?

Or you'd prefer to not report the bloke on his phone, but report him when he's run someone over?

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby PeterE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:05 pm

dombooth wrote:
PeterE wrote:I can't see that it's appropriate for private motorists to report alleged offences to the police unless something seriously dangerous or potentially life-threatening has occurred.

So by your vision it's better to report it only if something terrible has come of it? You wouldn't prefer to report the drunk driver before he kills someone?

Or you'd prefer to not report the bloke on his phone, but report him when he's run someone over?

I did say "potentially life-threatening" which would encompass the obviously drunk or drugged driver.

But are you constantly ringing the police to report other drivers who are speeding or on the phone?
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby dombooth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:07 am

PeterE wrote:
dombooth wrote:

I did say "potentially life-threatening" which would encompass the obviously drunk or drugged driver.

But are you constantly ringing the police to report other drivers who are speeding or on the phone?

Okay.

No, as they don't seem to care.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 am

I would encourage those who have good quality footage to report incidnts of really poor bad driving,but not for all minor incidents of poor driving along with traffic offenses.
Stephen
Stephen

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum