Drivers duty to inform police of driving offences?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:40 am

dombooth wrote:Here's my vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/domdombooth/videos

Dom

Dom in the 2nd of those videos (mini roundabout) and the car fails to give way you then do an apparent U-turn which whilst not illegal is not recommended either according to the HC.

Could people not think you are acting as some sort of vigilante.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby dombooth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:21 pm

sussex2 wrote:

Dom

Dom in the 2nd of those videos (mini roundabout) and the car fails to give way you then do an apparent U-turn which whilst not illegal is not recommended either according to the HC.

There's nothing wrong with using RABs to do a U turn providing it's done safely, which IMO it was.

They probably do, but meh.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby sussex2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:43 pm

dombooth wrote:
sussex2 wrote:

Dom

There's nothing wrong with using RABs to do a U turn providing it's done safely, which IMO it was.

They probably do, but meh.

Dom

Better make sure you are squeaky clean yourself
I know I'm not and my Rospa Diploma is dated 1981 so I've had plenty of time to decide that :)
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby jameslb101 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:45 pm

jameslb101

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Funny that this didn't get picked up on the forum where he advertises his videos, but then it doesn't surprise me, they only pat each other on the back and tell each other how great they are.

Not a regular reader of the board, then :lol:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Silk » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Horse wrote:Funny that this didn't get picked up on the forum where he advertises his videos, but then it doesn't surprise me, they only pat each other on the back and tell each other how great they are.

What makes things a bit more restrained on here is, unlike most other fora/forums (delete as appropriate to your class), there's a much greater chance of actually meeting the person you've been flaming - not that it stops me. :wink:

The only advice I'd give is, " take the videos down immediately and don't put up any more". "Advanced" driving doesn't need any more negative publicity.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Silk wrote:
Horse wrote:Funny that this didn't get picked up on the forum where he advertises his videos, but then it doesn't surprise me, they only pat each other on the back and tell each other how great they are.

What makes things a bit more restrained on here is, unlike most other fora/forums (delete as appropriate to your class), there's a much greater chance of actually meeting the person you've been flaming - not that it stops me. :wink:

The only advice I'd give is, " take the videos down immediately and don't put up any more". "Advanced" driving doesn't need any more negative publicity.

I'm sorry to say it, but I have to agree with that. 'Advanced' driving has always been very much a minority interest, and rapidly developing technology is going to reduce the potential audience even further.

Those who wish to enjoy their driving in the future (advanced or otherwise) are going to have to make specific arrangements to get that enjoyment.
TripleS

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Estoril Sport - would you report yourself to the Police if you committed an offence that you caught on your own camera?
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Dom

Not sure what is happening, but the links to the videos from PH just take me to a message saying the videos are private.
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Dom

Not sure what is happening, but the links to the videos from PH just take me to a message saying the videos are private.

Likewise.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

fungus wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Dom

Likewise.

I think young Dom followed Silk's above advice.
Advice which was totally correct.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

“Ordinary people, simply doing their jobs, and without any particular hostility on their part, can become agents in a terrible destructive process. Moreover, even when the destructive effects of their work become patently clear, and they are asked to carry out actions incompatible with fundamental standards of morality, relatively few people have the resources needed to resist authority.”
― Stanley Milgram, Obedience to Authority
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Kimosabe wrote:“Ordinary people, simply doing their jobs, and without any particular hostility on their part, can become agents in a terrible destructive process. Moreover, even when the destructive effects of their work become patently clear, and they are asked to carry out actions incompatible with fundamental standards of morality, relatively few people have the resources needed to resist authority.”
― Stanley Milgram, Obedience to Authority

So much to discuss within this, isn't there?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum