Excellent IAM video

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

The Think! one is brilliant. Hard to follow. The NZ one tries, but just comes across as a low cost remake. I took one look at VBH and noted it was more than 12 minutes long, at which point I lost the will to live. I may watch it some other time when I'm really bored (although I don't have much expectation of it dispelling the boredom). Sadly they're split into two opposites - boring films about advanced training, and interesting films that leave you with no hook into a way of avoiding the pitfalls they highlight. Why can't the two things be linked!? :roll:

Oh and I agree with Kimosabe - "better off-biker" made me cringe as well. Where did they get that from?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:It looked like a "Government information" advert. The participants could have been actors for all I know.

Oh I'm pretty sure they were all actors apart from Simon Best.
How about this, they all ride into the carpark of the Ace Cafe, on a wde range of 'bikes, walk in, removing helmets so we can see the variety of riders.

We then see them seated at a table with breakfast and a mug, talk is then about what each has gained from an IAM course.

Love it! You're commissioned.

From the comments in this thread it's obvious people have very differing opinions. I think we should bear in mind we're all advanced driving nerds here (in a nice way) and any promotional video needs to appeal to 'the public' or at the very least, someone who has a vague idea they should be doing some extra training. I'd like to see this played to a test group of more 'ordinary' people.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby waremark » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 am

mefoster wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Oh and I agree with Kimosabe - "better off-biker" made me cringe as well. Where did they get that from?

Did they mean "better off-biker"? or did they mean "better-off biker"?

As in, lower insurance premiums.

ETA: I still like the end of the Kent Police "Riding Plans" training video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4542dQ8OhQ

Better-off.

And agreed.
waremark

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

Ah! Just realised what it reminded me of:

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

martine wrote:I think we should bear in mind we're all advanced driving nerds here (in a nice way)

... and for that reason surely we're likely to be MORE tolerant than the general public!? I'm not convinced your average driver would even bother starting to watch any of these.
martine wrote:...any promotional video needs to appeal to 'the public' or at the very least, someone who has a vague idea they should be doing some extra training. I'd like to see this played to a test group of more 'ordinary' people.

What incentive would you be offering them to sit through the video(s)? :twisted:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby sussex2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
martine wrote:I think we should bear in mind we're all advanced driving nerds here (in a nice way)

... and for that reason surely we're likely to be MORE tolerant than the general public!? I'm not convinced your average driver would even bother starting to watch any of these.
martine wrote:...any promotional video needs to appeal to 'the public' or at the very least, someone who has a vague idea they should be doing some extra training. I'd like to see this played to a test group of more 'ordinary' people.

What incentive would you be offering them to sit through the video(s)? :twisted:

Most people will only do the training they are forced to do; a naughty boy lecture instead of points or that kind of thing.
I can get in a car with people who have been driving for decades and they still drive like learners; and old style ones at that.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum