Risks can only be mitigated not totally removed.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Observation, anticipation and planning can only relate to us and those other Humans around us.
How do those here consider the possibility of mechanical failure of the vehicle they drive?
I ask because when, a long time ago, I was a motorcyclist, I would, when "making progress" ask myself, "What would you do if you were to have a front tyre blowout".
Then, today, as a car driver, I assume the car will always respond to my demands, not considering that the engine ECU might decide to have "brain fade" when I decide to merge into the flow on a large roundabout.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby fungus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 pm

You have a valid point there. I don't think that in general drivers consider the posibility of mechanical failure when taking a vehicle on the road. Maybe fifty years ago when vehicles were not so reliable, drivers did consider it more.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Lingo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:52 am

How do I consider the possibility of mechanical failure every time I drive? Well, I look at this in terms of:
1 - What can I do to minimise the risk of there being mechanical failure; and
2 - In the event that mechanical failure occurs, what can I do to minimise adverse consequences.

To answer 1, it's important to ensure the vehicle is serviced at appropriate times, and it goes without saying ensuring all legal requirements are adhered to like MOT compliance. In addition, carrying out regular POWDERYB type checks should help. Also, keeping an eye on warning lights on the dashboard, both when starting a journey and during it, to get the earliest warning of problems.

To answer 2, the things I consider are, for example, holding the steering wheel appropriately so that, if something did happen like a tyre blowout, I'd have more control. To cruise on a motorway, say, with one hand gently holding the steering wheel at the bottom would surely give little if any control in the event of something suddenly going wrong. Also, it's so important to exercise proper lane discipline. If you're in lane 1 of a motorway and something goes wrong, the hard shoulder is of course next to you. If you're in lane 4, say, on a busy motorway and something went wrong, the shoulder is a loooong way away.

Also, keeping a nose and ear out for unusual smells and sounds when driving and checking out what the source is.

Just a few thoughts.
Lingo
IAM F1RST award.
---
Keep it smooth. Keep it stable.
Lingo

Postby revian » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:46 pm

fungus wrote:You have a valid point there. I don't think that in general drivers consider the posibility of mechanical failure when taking a vehicle on the road. Maybe fifty years ago when vehicles were not so reliable, drivers did consider it more.

I miss starting handles...well... Sort of... :D
Wirral
revian

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:36 pm

revian wrote:
fungus wrote:You have a valid point there. I don't think that in general drivers consider the posibility of mechanical failure when taking a vehicle on the road. Maybe fifty years ago when vehicles were not so reliable, drivers did consider it more.

I miss starting handles...well... Sort of... :D

Could have done with one a couple of weeks back. Stopped to collect my first pupil of the day. When she tried to start the car, the ignition switch would not turn beyond bringing on the warning lights. With a starting handle the car could have probably been started. Doubtless it would be illegal to atempt this with a provisional licence holder in the driving seat, and imagine the frustation of following drivers when the learner stalls at a busy set of traffic lights and the instructor gets out with a starting handle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:47 pm

The most commonly known acronym in risk management is ERIC PD, Eliminate, Reduce, Isolate, Control, PPE, and Discipline.

Eliminate the hazard if possible, e.g. consider different methods or carrying out the task, new machines, different chemicals etc. Often that is not possible so;

Reduce the risk, e.g. limiting the number of people in the area of the hazard, how often the task is carried out, maybe rotating the people carrying out the task to reduce exposure. The methods will depend very much on the hazard and the work that you do in your workplace.

Isolating the hazard, e.g. carrying out a task in a fenced off area, fitting guards round dangerous parts of machines, making sure that only people who are trained have access to the hazard, such as they do on building sites, with access controlled and all workers needing to prove that they are competent prior to being allowed on site.

Control, can be broken into three areas; the first being some kind of engineering control, such as fume extraction in areas where the build up could be considered dangerous, the second being safe systems of work, ensuring that the work is controlled and carried out in such a way as to minimize the risk.Thirdly, training to ensure that all employees know what they need to know to ensure their own health and safety and not to put others at risk.

P stands for Personal Protective Equipment, ensuring that if there is a hazard or risk that someone might be in danger that suitable PPE is issued and that the people issued with it are aware of how and when to use it.This would perhaps have taken the argument out of the current case going through Scottish courts where a forestry worker claims the Forestry commission made no suitable or sufficient assessment of the risk to its staff from tick bites. This case is disputed in that the Forestry Commission claims they issued suitable clothing, and insect repellent and pincers for the removal of ticks. £80,000 is the amount at stake.

D is for Discipline, ensuring that people do actually work the way they should be working, carry out the tasks in the prescribed manner, keeping guards in place, not short circuiting the system, wearing PPE where provided and appropriate.

A lot to say, perhaps, a little?

Essentially, no, if there is a risk - and the roads are full of them! - then it has to be managed. But also, the process includes assessment of likelihood and effect. From that can be decided whether mitigations are necessary or sufficient.

The worse the potential outcome, the more likely, the more necessary an effective mitigation. Or, worst case, you don't do it.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:12 am

Horse wrote:Reduce the risk, e.g. limiting the number of people in the area of the hazard, how often the task is carried out, maybe rotating the people carrying out the task to reduce exposure. The methods will depend very much on the hazard and the work that you do in your workplace.

For driving and riding, we try to reduce risk by education, training and practice, adding other measures when those don't work. But we increase risk by using more competent equipment that reduces the feeling of speed and/or danger.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby waremark » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 am

I was a passenger yesterday in rural Lincolnshire when a pheasant committed suicide against the front of my car. I think the very occasional pheasant strike is an acceptable risk and cost of extensive rural motoring. Damage happily very minor.
waremark

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 am

I had a bird strike on a motorway a few years back some small bird of prey Cost me a new condenser for the aircon. Guess it could have been worse at least I could still drive the car, it could have taken out the radiator.
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:39 am

Try a bird strike from the motorcyclist point of view.

It can - and has, I believe I've heard of it - be fatal to both parties. But can you mitigate against it happening at all?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:54 pm

An insect into the face can cause some problems on a bike. Maybe not as much now when most riders have full face helmets. but the old style open face. :shock:
exportmanuk

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 pm

exportmanuk wrote:An insect into the face can cause some problems on a bike. Maybe not as much now when most riders have full face helmets. but the old style open face. :shock:

Not wearing gloves? Oh dear, sir, that'll be four stitches in the thumb from a bee impact (not me BTW).
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum