Auto VS Manual

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Grahar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 pm

I think the new flappy-paddle gearboxes are the best. I mean the ones where you have proper chunky paddles mounted on the steering column (not those silly plasticky buttons) with a pull on the right for up changes and a pull on the left for down changes. that allow full manual overide (and no forced up or down changes ). They still have the auto mode, which is perfect for town or longer journeys.

It is amazing how long it has taken car manufacturers to get this right. For example, prior to 2011, the BMW 3 series auto/DCTs only had two way switches type paddles on top of the steering wheels. The 997 Porsche 911 tiptronics had silly buttons on the wheels and even the first of the 997 911 PDKS (2008) retained these until the proper paddles were available in 2011. Ferrari nailed it back in about 1998 with the F1355 (ok I think the changes were a bit harsh, but they got the essentials right).

I currently drive a car with a manual 6 speed, which I love, but will look for a flappy-paddle box next time to cover longer journeys and town driving. Having said that, if a flappy-paddled car was my only vehicle I think I would miss a manual box. I guess having at least two cars is the solution to this petrol-head's predicament!
Grahar

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 pm

jameslb101 wrote:While the 'J-gate' boxes in my Jags were slow and clunky

So the second Jag's gone as well now? Did I miss the announcement of your latest steed?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 pm

One of the issues with autos these days is that they're all sequential. So if you want to be 3 gears away from where you are, that's 3 gear changes, which in a manual would be 1. Of course they're lightning fast, but you have to either make a note of which gear you're currently in (usually denoted by a microscopic LED display on the dash somewhere among all the other kilobytes of information the car presents you with) and which one you think you'd like to be in, and add or subtract the right number, then apply that number of pulls / presses on the appropriate button / paddle / stick. Alternatively you shift once, test to see if it's high / low enough, and repeat until satisfied ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:22 am

Also, they all have feckin' umpty million gears, leaving enormous scope for a "what gear do I even want next???" crisis of confidence. :)
GJD

Postby Carbon Based » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:which gear you're currently in (usually denoted by a microscopic LED display on the dash somewhere among all the other kilobytes of information the car presents you with)

Or a glance at the revs: needle at 9 o'clock, very sluggish, drop several. Just past 11 o'clock quite swift now, could stay put, but dropping one would pick things up. Past 1 o'clock - probably should change up but it sounds so nice...
Carbon Based

Postby jameslb101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:While the 'J-gate' boxes in my Jags were slow and clunky

So the second Jag's gone as well now? Did I miss the announcement of your latest steed?

See the P&J thread :)

Back to "driving stick" now, as they might say across the pond!
jameslb101

Postby jont » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am

Carbon Based wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:which gear you're currently in (usually denoted by a microscopic LED display on the dash somewhere among all the other kilobytes of information the car presents you with)

Or a glance at the revs: needle at 9 o'clock, very sluggish, drop several. Just past 11 o'clock quite swift now, could stay put, but dropping one would pick things up. Past 1 o'clock - probably should change up but it sounds so nice...

Unless you've borrowed an Aston
jont

Postby waremark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am

I suspect the majority of the examiners I have met have autos of some sort. Definitely no prejudice about the type of box, all about demonstrating that you understand what you have got and know how to get it to perform well. That varies from box to box.

PS Happily Aston have moved on from that 'Power Beauty Soul' message. Mine says Pure Aston Martin - but only if you turn on the ignition without starting it. I got used to the reverse rev counter very quickly. And 6th is fine in 30's. It is supposed to flash red at you in lieu of a red line on the rev counter but I have never seen that. Am I a wuss or doesn't it work?
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

waremark wrote:Am I a wuss or doesn't it work?

You're not a wuss so it must be a fault. I suggest you take it back for a replacement. :lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Grahar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 pm

waremark wrote:I suspect the majority of the examiners I have met have autos of some sort. Definitely no prejudice about the type of box, all about demonstrating that you understand what you have got and know how to get it to perform well. That varies from box to box.

PS Happily Aston have moved on from that 'Power Beauty Soul' message. Mine says Pure Aston Martin - but only if you turn on the ignition without starting it. I got used to the reverse rev counter very quickly. And 6th is fine in 30's. It is supposed to flash red at you in lieu of a red line on the rev counter but I have never seen that. Am I a wuss or doesn't it work?

Definitely something wrong with it...I'll happily take it off your hands for no charge.

Luckily my car is sufficiently old that I don't have any annoying change up or change down warning lights. My car is sufficiently flexible that a surprising amount of town stuff can be done in 3rd; pretty much like a 'Drive' on an auto.
Grahar

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Grahar wrote:
waremark wrote:I suspect the majority of the examiners I have met have autos of some sort. Definitely no prejudice about the type of box, all about demonstrating that you understand what you have got and know how to get it to perform well. That varies from box to box.

Definitely something wrong with it...I'll happily take it off your hands for no charge.

Luckily my car is sufficiently old that I don't have any annoying change up or change down warning lights. My car is sufficiently flexible that a surprising amount of town stuff can be done in 3rd; pretty much like a 'Drive' on an auto.

I think you and I should consider joint ownership to share the running costs. :D
jcochrane

Postby Grahar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:21 pm

jcochrane wrote:I think you and I should consider joint ownership to share the running costs. :D

Good idea. You pay for the petrol, servicing, consumables and insurance and I'll look after the MOT...
Grahar

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am

That's two people to strike off my Chrismas card list. :twisted:
jcochrane

Postby Grahar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm

StressedDave wrote: As should those who drive convertibles with the roof up on a sunny day

It was all in name of handling ridigity,...and to avoid being hit in the head by cones as I followed certain people...:lol:
Grahar

Postby triquet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 am

Just come back to this one. Had another observed drive in the auto. Observer recommended that I use the manual parts of the box a lot and viciously kick down on leaving a limit for NSL to show "good progress". So much for economy eh?
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum