How to apply IPSGA...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby trashbat » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:57 am

The one I drove was I think 66ft and 25 tonne - it slept eight - and despite mostly avoiding incident, I did manage to ground it on an unmarked sandbank in the middle of the river. Few of my group really grasped the steering - as said, more power to turn!

I did think that perhaps if you found a way to quicken your own perception of time, it'd make an excellent real life implementation of something like Need For Speed.

What is an electric lock? We had no such things, although a few were manned by British Waterways staff or whoever they are now.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby dombooth » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 pm

The electric lock (Not sure if there is a proper word for it) is basically what the oil barges go through.

Huge lock with electrically operated sluices and gates.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby swatchways » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14 pm

dombooth wrote:
swatchways wrote:Aw - but it's got no sails - nor yours Martin. How do they move??! :wink:

Planning, planning, planning, and remember you have no brakes! :) Was it good fun?

Engine. ;)

It was brilliant fun. :D I have driven it before, but went today to help him out with the locks as it's bloody difficult on your own.

Dom

He he - I steer ours with my backside - leaves the hands free for g&t... :wink: Only kidding, dry boat if underway, but it's much more relaxed than behind the steering wheel of the car, until it comes to parking... :oops:
swatchways

Postby dombooth » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:16 pm

swatchways wrote:
dombooth wrote:
swatchways wrote:Aw - but it's got no sails - nor yours Martin. How do they move??! :wink:

Planning, planning, planning, and remember you have no brakes! :) Was it good fun?

Engine. ;)

It was brilliant fun. :D I have driven it before, but went today to help him out with the locks as it's bloody difficult on your own.

Dom

He he - I steer ours with my backside - leaves the hands free for g&t... :wink: Only kidding, dry boat if underway, but it's much more relaxed than behind the steering wheel of the car, until it comes to parking... :oops:

Haha, it is a very relaxed driving.

Parking the thing is another beast altogether.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby martine » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes my steed for the last 2 weeks was a 69' narrow boat (sleeping 6). We picked it up from Bradford-on-Avon and went East on the Kennet and Avon canal, up the infamous Devizes locks (16 in a 1/4 mile) through Hungerford and got as far as Kintbury before turning round back past Bradford-on-Avon, through Bath and on, into the Bristol ''floating' Harbour and then back to Bradford.

All manual locks and swing bridges - none of this new-fangled eeelectriciteee. Over the 2 weeks we did 150m and 140 locks!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:02 pm

martine wrote:Over the 2 weeks we did 150m and 140 locks!

Meters or miles? :wink:
jameslb101

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm

dombooth wrote:

Dom[/quote]
My method of parking is push the nose into the bank, then just ram the tiller fully to the left and full power.
Perhaps not smooth, but works every time! :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby dombooth » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
dombooth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Dom

My method of parking is push the nose into the bank, then just ram the tiller fully to the left and full power.

That method is fine, but try it with low power, come in smooth with the front and let the back slide in.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

dombooth wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:My method of parking is push the nose into the bank, then just ram the tiller fully to the left and full power.

That method is fine, but try it with low power, come in smooth with the front and let the back slide in.

Dom

I don't tend to cause any jolts when I do it how I do it, and I find that lots of power causes the back to go in while keeping the front pushed into the bank so the boat doesn't drift off.
One of those moments where bow-thrusters can always come in handy!
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum