RoADAR / IAM poll

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Since so many of you are members of one or both of these organisations, you are a great bunch of people to help me with my poll:

Can you tell me which local group(s) you belong to, and what is your annual sub, please? I'm assessing what the average is to assist our committee in deciding whether to increase ours (it's currently £14).

PS just to be clear I'm only talking about the sub to the LOCAL group. As far as I am aware, current NATIONAL subs are £22.50 for RoADAR, and £32 for IAM. Please correct me if I'm wrong on those.

Some of you may already have answered this for me. I don't need you to answer twice :)

Many thanks
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GHST » Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Birmingham advanced motorists £15
GHST

Postby trashbat » Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Southampton £8, although sod 'em, I'm not renewing this year.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby dombooth » Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Chesterfield IAM - £9
South Yorkshire RoADAR - Not interested, not renewing.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby martine » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Bristol Advanced Motorists group memebership has just gone up from £15 to £20 (£27 for joint members). This was the first increase since 2007 and was unanimously passed at our AGM last year.

Inevitably and quite rightly sometimes people ask: 'What do I actually get for my local subs?' - the answer is 6 newsletters (award winning I'll have you know!) and access to our driving events. Our monthly social meetings (with speakers and the like) are free and open to the public.

The other way of looking at it is the local members keep the group running and the subs are a donation to a cause they believe is important. We couldn't run all the things we do without our subs income. For each associate that does 'Skill for Life' with us we get £31 from IAM HQ (out of their £139 fee). We have an annual income of around £9-12k and keep a little more in the bank at year-end (as per charity commission guidelines).

I think if a group's committee have plans and make members aware of where the money goes and what will be done with any increase, most will support it. I think it becomes tricky if you leave the increases too long - like we have done in the past - people object to sizeable jumps even though it may have been several years at the lower-level.

IAM HQ now have a policy of increasing the IAM national membership every year by 50p or £1 - this makes sense if you can take subs by direct debit (which small organisations can't like us) as getting everyone to amend standing orders is a pain.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby trashbat » Thu May 22, 2014 7:16 pm

I wouldn't try and compare two groups on fees. I don't know much about Bristol but from what I hear, it sounds like you are much more active and much more competent than many local groups.

I'm not renewing locally mostly out of spite, having been particularly annoyed by my group. Otherwise I would see it as a donation to help people like myself.
trashbat

Postby fungus » Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm

IIRC the Bournemouth groups sub is £10. The group is not very active in matters motoring.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 pm

trashbat wrote:I'm not renewing locally mostly out of spite, having been particularly annoyed by my group.

Oh go on...spill the beans...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 pm

dombooth wrote:Chesterfield IAM - £9

Dom

Will you be paying your national sub and taking your 3 yearly retests? (and do you know what SY's annual sub is, just to help me a little? - thanks)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby trashbat » Thu May 22, 2014 9:04 pm

martine wrote:
trashbat wrote:I'm not renewing locally mostly out of spite, having been particularly annoyed by my group.

Beans already spilt - the 'failed observer' thread from a bit ago :) Might give Portsmouth a go!
trashbat

Postby dombooth » Thu May 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
dombooth wrote:Chesterfield IAM - £9

Dom

Will you be paying your national sub and taking your 3 yearly retests? (and do you know what SY's annual sub is, just to help me a little? - thanks)

Yes I'll pay the national sub but not SY. Their sub is £10, due 1st May regardless of when you join and pay your first £10.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby martine » Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

trashbat wrote:
martine wrote:

Beans already spilt - the 'failed observer' thread from a bit ago :) Might give Portsmouth a go!

Oh yeah...I remember.
martine

Postby gannet » Thu May 22, 2014 9:44 pm

East Surrey IAM - £10 a year, we have no plans to increase.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Mike H » Fri May 23, 2014 12:57 pm

As Martin has said above, £20 to Bristol Advanced Motorists, and £10 to RoADAR Avon Group, although the group is struggling a bit at present and there is talk of a possible merger.
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby martine » Fri May 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Mike H wrote:As Martin has said above, £20 to Bristol Advanced Motorists, and £10 to RoADAR Avon Group, although the group is struggling a bit at present and there is talk of a possible merger.

ROADAR would be welcome to merge with us! :wink:
martine

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum