Sadly, this Forum seems to be dying

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Although, how about an urban, surburban and Motorway based ADUK day?

Niche market I would have thought but as it makes up the majority of my driving, yes that would actually be useful.

Kimosabe wrote:anyone who fancies a jaunt in a roofless MX5 can drop me a line; i'm on first name terms with most tea room owners in the Sussex area...

Yes. I get into East & Mid Sussex from time to time. Can I tempt you over the border into Kent?

martine wrote:Do you fancy organising an ADUK day - that would be good?

Combined with the above & having looked through the archives, it seems the Kent & Sussex corner of the UK hasn’t featured in an ADUK day.
Is that due to being too far from most people? Not considered to have enough nice roads?

Just what is required route wise to keep everyone happy? I would consider helping out if there was interest.
Carbon Based

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:21 am

Re. the S.E. Corner of England for an ADUK event.

There are a few roads which are of interest but relatively short with boring connection roads. With traffic density and the large number of cyclists at the weekend these short streatches can easily loose their charm as you get held up with little opportunity to overtake. There are very few long sweeping fast roads that are reasonably quiet at weekends.

For most people it's a long way to travel, with the expense of maybe an overnight stop, with no real assurance of a good days drive for the effort. A shame really but that's the reality as I see it. :(

So for me and others from the SE we are very grateful for the generosity of ADUKers who live in better areas to organise good driving days we can attend.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:26 am

Thank you, thought that might be the case, but didn't want to assume it to be so.
Carbon Based

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am

Kimosabe wrote: Right now, after deciding that seeing people carriers being driven around country lanes by elderly ladies faster than I was able to do in a RWD MX5 was becoming a matter of mild paranoia, i'm once more in the U-Bend of LPA/ bend analysis/ car balance in it's application.

Entry speed and exit (or not at all) are two different things all together.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby MrToad » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

I was in Kent earlier this month, and agree that whilst there are some good bits, they tend to be isolated and relatively short. The best bits I found were the roads between the A20 and Dungeness. BTW - I'd highly recommend the Airport Café on the A20 for a breakfast stop if you're in the area.

The good news is that ADUK days based in Berkshire and Essex have great routes and aren't too far away. The Swindon day was a revelation, and the Banbury / Charlbury / Oxford days were good too.

The problem is that (apart from Essex) they aren't being run this year. If anyone could take them on though I'm sure the original organisers would supply the routes, and I'd be happy to advise on what's required to run a day.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby trashbat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 am

MrToad wrote:I'd be happy to advise on what's required to run a day.

Is that something that can be published? i.e. a public (if members only) thread or wiki with a recipe for how to run your own ADUK day.

That might encourage a few more days a year, or new regions.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby MrToad » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm

trashbat wrote:
MrToad wrote:I'd be happy to advise on what's required to run a day.

Is that something that can be published? i.e. a public (if members only) thread or wiki with a recipe for how to run your own ADUK day.

That might encourage a few more days a year, or new regions.

Good idea - try this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4687
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Carbon Based » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for putting that up. Anyone fancy helping out if I make a brave statement of intent on one of the locations?

If anyone has routes already planned I'll take on the other admin stuff.
Carbon Based

Postby MrToad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Suggest a location and a date, and I'm sure someone will be able to assist.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Perhaps we all need to migrate to Facebook, because, from what I've read, that seems to be where web based interaction now occurs.

Why would anyone want to spend all day looking at endless drunken group photos?

Indeed, I'm too busy featuring in them. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Perhaps we all need to migrate to Facebook, because, from what I've read, that seems to be where web based interaction now occurs.

Why would anyone want to spend all day looking at endless drunken group photos?

Indeed, I'm too busy featuring in them. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

No more than I'd expect from a veteran of uk.rec.driving. ;-)
Silk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:16 am

Our Group has a Facebook page which I initially created when our website was down for a while. Many other RoADAR groups (and probably IAM groups) also have pages, many of which are linked from us. Traffic tends to be light because only a few know about or are interested in them but we welcome "likes" from any FB member with an interest. I've linked it from my signature - although you can also get there from the website which has been linked for years.

Re driving days, I'll run another Swindon day at the drop of a hat, provided it's soon. Much of the second half of the year I'm likely to be unavailable. Just let me know if there's interest. I dare say if I'm absent one of the local entrepreneurs (MrToad maybe) could be persuaded to handle things on the day.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Our Group has a Facebook page which I initially created when our website was down for a while.

I've linked it from my signature - although you can also get there from the website which has been linked for years.

As I posted earlier, I don't do Fb, apart from regularly checking a friend's page for the articles he posts.

https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSkills

I don't need to be an Fb'er to view it, but I do for yours. From an advertising PoV, is it worth opening it up for full viewing?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby martine » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Re driving days, I'll run another Swindon day at the drop of a hat, provided it's soon. Much of the second half of the year I'm likely to be unavailable. Just let me know if there's interest.

Yes please.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MrToad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:42 pm

martine wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Re driving days, I'll run another Swindon day at the drop of a hat, provided it's soon. Much of the second half of the year I'm likely to be unavailable. Just let me know if there's interest.

Yes please.

If you build it, they will come.
Do less, better.
MrToad

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum