Advanced Driving Facebook and Twitter Pages

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:06 pm

richie349 wrote:I've met people before who want to set up a site, stick some google ads on it, then largely walk away.

This is an exceedingly dismissive comment about someone who put a huge amount of effort into creating the wesbite, and who then used a small number of adverts to help towards the running costs. It's not as if Darren charges you or anyone else to use the forum which, incidentally, doesn't have adverts on it.

If you want to create additional content for the main site I'm sure Darren would be grateful for appropriate contributory articles.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby dombooth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Gareth wrote:
If you want to create additional content for the main site I'm sure Darren would be grateful for appropriate contributory articles.

If I can't get 1 link changed, I do wonder sometimes. :roll:

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:21 pm

richie349 wrote:
mefoster wrote:
richie349 wrote:To avoid getting into trouble with the moderators or site owner, how about using the Facebook page to bounce some ideas around, see what people want, then decide ifam alternative site is the answer?

I won't be using the Facebook page to bounce anything around because I don't have a Facebook account and have zero intention of creating one. Any move to "social media" would be the final nail in the coffin of ADUK for me. It's barely breathing now but Facebook would finish it off.

You must all do what you feel you must do.

You miserable bugger! So you acknowledge the site is dying but you're closed to alternative suggestions. Nice one.

There's nothing miserable about wanting to stay away from Facebook.
Silk

Postby richie349 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Gareth wrote:
richie349 wrote:I've met people before who want to set up a site, stick some google ads on it, then largely walk away.

This is an exceedingly dismissive comment about someone who put a huge amount of effort into creating the wesbite, and who then used a small number of adverts to help towards the running costs. It's not as if Darren charges you or anyone else to use the forum which, incidentally, doesn't have adverts on it.

Effort? That'll be why the site hasn't been modernised for several years. As for creating content for Darren, I can't work with someone who doesn't respond promptly to communications.
richie349

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:20 pm

mefoster wrote:The site is dying because many of the people on it don't seem to be able to discuss anything without either getting bogged down in over-analytical pointless minutiae,

The threads which attract most interest are the hoary chestnuts - speed, steering etc. What would you like us to discuss?
waremark

Postby trashbat » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:21 pm

You could also look at it in exactly the opposite way, and state that of late it's mostly made up of pessimistic navel-gazing (the irony of writing this is not lost on me), barely disguised interpersonal complaints, and isn't integrating new people. I doubt you intended it but you've effectively just told someone their views aren't as valid because they're a new member.

Your gripe about Facebook is legitimate. So is the other poster's interest in developing the site. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't know whether I've been here long enough to have a valid comment :wink: but the amount of activity seems roughly in line with the average over my membership, and so although it may not be in rude health, I don't think the site is dying any more than it was when I signed up. It's not like the nearest alternative is a hive of activity.

Honestly? I wish I hadn't had cause to write any of the above. For the first time, I quite dislike the thrust of some recent posts and it leads me to question, again for the first time, whether I keep up my own activity, but then what good would that do. And some might think the same about my own posts, of course.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby martine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:30 pm

trashbat wrote:...the amount of activity seems roughly in line with the average over my membership, and so although it may not be in rude health, I don't think the site is dying any more than it was when I signed up. It's not like the nearest alternative is a hive of activity.

My feelings entirely and the more 'forthright' (some would say impolite or even aggressive) posts are actually only centred around a tiny proportion of contributors.

Was it Insanity1234 who only recently posted how friendly and welcoming he found ADUK in comparison to some other motoring sites.

I think it's easy to lose perspective about the forum 'dying' and how some members find it unwelcoming.

Best thing is, we have an ADUK driving day coming up soon... :D :D :D

Talking about driving on an internet forum is only a poor second to actually doing it. Perhaps some of the bored / disgruntled (or just unsettled) should come along so we can get to meet each other in a friendly environment

I can guarantee you will be welcomed and I'm sure we will all benefit.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Indeed it was me.

I wish to just point out that I don't think this forum is dying.

Mainly because the last 3 days or so, I've seen the highest rate of posting than I've seen for the whole duration of my membership of this website :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 pm

waremark wrote:
mefoster wrote:The site is dying because many of the people on it don't seem to be able to discuss anything without either getting bogged down in over-analytical pointless minutiae,

The threads which attract most interest are the hoary chestnuts - speed, steering etc. What would you like us to discuss?

Have you not noticed that the more controversial and confrontational the thread, the more traffic it gets? Doesn't that tell you something?
Silk

Postby martine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Silk wrote:...Have you not noticed that the more controversial and confrontational the thread, the more traffic it gets?

Only up to a point but some people come across as being controversial just for the sake of it...which gets pretty tiresome after a while. I know some members here have blocked others username so they don't even see their posts.

Personally I much prefer genuine and well argued debates about driving topics...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:46 pm

...and personal views are what counts when it comes to moderating. :)

So called controversial posts might also be posts that don't fit with others' agendas.
MGF

Postby richie349 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 am

As the thread starter, I think it's probably about time this conversation was wrapped up and we all move on. If others want to continue it afterwards, then so be it, but here are my final thoughts:

1) There is clearly an issue with this site, otherwise questions such as "Are you lurking?" and "is this site dying?" would never have been posed.

2) In my opinion the problem is two-fold. It's partly that the site appears uninspiring, bland and static, and as such, is no6t appealing to new users. It's also partly due to the fact that limited types of discussions keep reoccurring, and threads sometimes degenerate into derogatory remarks towards other members.

3) Since the owner of ADUK is not actively involved, and does not readily respond to correspondence, revamping this site is not likely to be viable. The best course of action is therefore to migrate elsewhere.

4) As other members have suggested, popular social media sites with their huge member databases would seem an obvious place to move to. Doing so would expose the Advanced Driving online community to a wealth of prospective new members, and with that, bring fresh perspectives, and new topics for discussion.

I stand by my earlier promise of not using this forum as a platform to publicise alternative sites, and there will not include the URL of the previously mentioned Facebook page here. However, if anyone needs help in finding it, please feel free to send me a private message.
richie349

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:56 am

richie349 wrote: As the thread starter, I think it's probably about time this conversation was wrapped up and we all move on. If others want to continue it afterwards, then so be it, but here are my final thoughts:

1) There is clearly an issue with this site, otherwise questions such as "Are you lurking?" and "is this site dying?" would never have been posed.

I started the 'lurking' thread simply to ask how many people read but don't post. The answer was 'several' - ICBA to go and count, so if you want a more accurate answer, feel free to.

So simply using numbers of active posters and threads as a guide for how well the site is used and valued would be unwise.

Edit: FWIW, I use this forum, have had my own blog (now dormant), have contributed to the RoDAR bike blog (when it was still going), use LinkedIn (am an active member of several groups), and regularly contribute to 3 other forums* (English, not Latin, thanks for asking :) ).

* NB every one has quiet spells, and they often cover repeat topics - when you get a niche (advanced) within a sector (motoring) then that's bound to happen.

I think it should be my decision whether or not to sign up to Fb and T, despite them both being free.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum