New M4 test drive!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:34 am

Angus wrote:
waremark wrote: The B3 performance is quoted as 0 - 100 kph in 4.2 seconds. Not exactly slow. In fact no slower than the M3. Now that the M3/M4 has moved to a turbo 3 litre I am not quite sure how much difference there is between the M car and the Alpina. The M car looks better.

Probably the only main differences are the Alpina run on proper tyres, not run-flats and it isn't restricted to 155mph

waremark wrote: The diesel Alpina has amazing performance - extraordinary for a diesel, pretty special for any car.

They're putting the 3litre twin turbo diesel in now. Most of the D3s out there are the 2 litre diesel from the 123D tho'

M cars have never used run flats. Actually, I am confident that the M is more different from a 335 than the B3. The new model D3 with the 6 cylinder is a very different car from the old model with the 123 engine.
waremark

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 am

When I drove Waremark's car I don't really remember the gear changes. I had no idea what kind of gearbox it was (I'm not much of a car geek, certainly where modern cars are concerned), just that I had to remember (in the dark) which hand to use to change up or down.

This kind of supports Waremark's comment that automated gearboxes become unengaging. You can operate them so easily, even with other things going on (like another forum member who shall remain nameless giving constant feedback in my left ear :mrgreen: ) that they become a secondary task, at a lower level of mental focus. In some ways this is a good thing because it allows more concentration for the road outside, but it's disappointing to those dinosaurs among us who like to feel engaged with the car. My one experience of a PDK 911 was the same - very fast, very easy to drive. To me, the latter is all wrong. It should be hard to drive, and demand respect. That way you'd be less likely to get into trouble early on.

JM2PW.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Rick999 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:When I drove Waremark's car I don't really remember the gear changes. I had no idea what kind of gearbox it was (I'm not much of a car geek, certainly where modern cars are concerned), just that I had to remember (in the dark) which hand to use to change up or down.

This kind of supports Waremark's comment that automated gearboxes become unengaging. You can operate them so easily, even with other things going on (like another forum member who shall remain nameless giving constant feedback in my left ear :mrgreen: ) that they become a secondary task, at a lower level of mental focus. In some ways this is a good thing because it allows more concentration for the road outside, but it's disappointing to those dinosaurs among us who like to feel engaged with the car. My one experience of a PDK 911 was the same - very fast, very easy to drive. To me, the latter is all wrong. It should be hard to drive, and demand respect. That way you'd be less likely to get into trouble early on.

JM2PW.

I guess the "engagement" level depends on the individuals personal preference. I have to admit that my initial thoughts were that I was going to buy a manual version but after driving it I have changed my mind. No doubt I will still enjoy driving manuals as I always have but this allows a different type of engagement for me.

It reminds me of Keith Code's (Twist of the wrist) analogy of the $1 of attention to spend and with less of the $ spent on all the things involved around manual gearchanges you can spend more on the other elements of the drive. I don't see this as dumbing it down in the slightest but more of a re appropriation of funds :wink:
Rick999

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum