New M4 test drive!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Rick999 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am

I am actually after an M3 but as they are supposed to be very similar to drive I took the chance to try out the M4 instead. Prior to my test I was set on an M3 with a manual box and possibly the ceramic brakes, the M4 I tested was DCT and standard brakes, in white with the black option wheels.

First impressions were it looked much better in the flesh than in any photo's I had seen, although the M3 in the showroom (not available for demo) looked better although not in the black colour. The M4 had the orange interior which is not my cup of tea but I could live with it I had to, though I would choose black.

Now onto driving the thing... the salesman drove first and went through some of the plethora of option available via the i drive and we set off. The first thing I noticed was the sound, I actually liked it and it was certainly louder than I expected after hearing some other reviews. After a couple of miles we swapped and I got behind the wheel and had my first ever experience of a DCT 'box. In full auto first as we tootled out of the city towards some pretty narrow country roads I was impressed with how smooth it was and how good the ride was even in sport plus. Now off the gridlocked road into the country, a firm press on the gas and we are away, very good throttle response and fast smooth changes using the paddles.

I was really impressed with the HUD and hardly ever looked at the actual dials. The power was very progressive and there is a huge amount of torque available from low down the rev range, corners which would normally be taken in 2nd can be easily negotiated in 4th with immense speed on the exit. The rate at which the speed piles on is impressive although the car is deceptive as it feels so planted, you don't realise how quickly you are into 3 figures and how fast you are cornering as the available grip is superb. I had everything in sport plus and the traction was lovely, just the odd flash of the TC light on exits and great feel through the steering.

The brakes were really powerful and I never needed more than a light dab to scrub speed off and the body control on cornering and braking is lovely, no nose diving or roll here!

On the way back I tried it in comfort / efficiency mode and you can feel the difference right away, it is much softer and more relaxed for tootling around or town driving.

In conclusion.. very fast, great handling, the modes and DCT auto almost give you 2 cars in one.

If I had any criticism it would be that it flatters your driving and you need to be really pushing the car to feel that you are driving it, almost too good!

I am sure once you are used to it this would soon wear off as you try to explore the limits, though this would be difficult on the road without risking sharing a room with Rolf Harris.

Yes I will be buying one, but most likely still an M3, but I will be buying it with DCT and standard brakes. Delivery will be on July 1st 2015, a long way away yet I know, but it will be worth the wait, and there may even be some discount available then.

Simply superb :)

Poor phone photo...

Rick999

Postby gannet » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds like you had fun :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Rick999 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 am

gannet wrote:Sounds like you had fun :D

I certainly did, a very very capable car and I absolutely loved the HUD, it may seem like a gimmick but I thought it added hugely to the enjoyment. :twisted:
Rick999

Postby martine » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Nice one Rick. Sound like a very capable weapon...ahem...car.

Did you consider anything else...other manufacuters?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Rick999 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:51 pm

martine wrote:Nice one Rick. Sound like a very capable weapon...ahem...car.

Did you consider anything else...other manufacuters?

I have always hankered after an M3 and the new model has arrived just in time. I did consider the Mercedes A45 AMG but I think it is pricy for what you get, although a very fast motor. I need something which is practical as my partner is 12 weeks pregnant so things like Porsche's are out of the question, not that I really like the ones within my budget.

I looked a some of the Jaguar range but again I think I would always need to scratch the M car itch. :D
Rick999

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:14 pm

I had an E92 M3 with DCT - there are quite a few members of this forum who drove my car at one time or another. I greatly admired the DCT and its sheer brilliance gave me great pleasure. I have no doubt that a dual clutch gearbox simply does a better job than a manual - good performance as a full auto, instant changes available at the pull of a paddle, choice between ultra smooth changes including full throttle upchanges and more lively changes.

However, after having the car for a few years I found I was missing the challenge and satisfaction of using a manual - in a manual you have to make time for the changes, and get satisfaction when a change snicks in with the revs perfectly matched to the road speed. I have had the pleasure of driving manual and PDK 911's of various descriptions, and again I have found the manual ones more engaging. I am now enjoying having a conventional manual in my replacement car - although I spend more time driving an auto with flappy paddles.

So far as the brakes are concerned, do you intend to use the car for track days? If so, the carbon ceramics might be worth while. The standard brakes on the E92 were good for the road but not for the track.

So far as other aspects of the car are concerned, I have no doubt that it is immensely capable and usable - the previous one was both, and the new one will be more so. However, I feared that I might find it a little unengaging. I thought I might enjoy a manual 235 more - as part of my massive garage (see dream garage thread). I went for something completely different. What car are you coming from?
waremark

Postby Angus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 pm

I was going to suggest an Alpina B3, but in their current iterations it's less powerful.

However if you want practical it comes as an estate (sorry Touring)
Angus

Postby Rick999 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:38 pm

I may do the odd track day but not enough to justify over £6k on ceramics. The standard brakes are a decent upgrade over the E9x model and I'm sure they will be good enough for me. I have no need of an estate car and 4 doors will be practical enough for me. My current car is a work supplied Octavia 4x4 estate which is used for blue light duties. Not a great drive but does the job.
Rick999

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Angus wrote:I was going to suggest an Alpina B3, but in their current iterations it's less powerful.

However if you want practical it comes as an estate (sorry Touring)

The B3 performance is quoted as 0 - 100 kph in 4.2 seconds. Not exactly slow. In fact no slower than the M3. Now that the M3/M4 has moved to a turbo 3 litre I am not quite sure how much difference there is between the M car and the Alpina. The M car looks better.

The diesel Alpina has amazing performance - extraordinary for a diesel, pretty special for any car. Of all these versions if I was getting another subject to testing it would be the M4.

Coming from an Octavia, good though it is, I expect you will find the M3 pretty great.

On brakes, I have had E36/E46/E92. None had brakes which were up to track use. The E92 ones needed new disks after a track event (the manual stated that they were unsuitable for track use, to get BMW out of warranty claims). I hope they have finally fixed this traditional weak spot in M cars. When I saw that they had put carbon ceramics on the options list I feared that maybe they hadn't. However, I am sure you will have had feedback from early owners on M forums long before your car arrives.
waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:37 pm

The Autocar road test of the M4 was rather mouth-watering! Whatever spec you fix on, your M will be a great car.
waremark

Postby Rick999 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I've not seen that but I've read the review in EVO this month compared to a Carerra and GTR which was quite favourable especially as the M car is not a full blown sports car.
Rick999

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Rick999 wrote:. I need something which is practical as my partner is 12 weeks pregnant so things like Porsche's are out of the question, not that I really like the ones within my budget.

Congratulations!

However . . . is it likely that littl'un will be a regular passenger? If so, you might want to experiment with getting access to the rear seat - it can be really awkward lifting a child into the rear of a two-door car. I'd guess the boot is big enough for a buggy, though! :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Rick999 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Horse wrote:
Rick999 wrote:. I need something which is practical as my partner is 12 weeks pregnant so things like Porsche's are out of the question, not that I really like the ones within my budget.

Congratulations!

However . . . is it likely that littl'un will be a regular passenger? If so, you might want to experiment with getting access to the rear seat - it can be really awkward lifting a child into the rear of a two-door car. I'd guess the boot is big enough for a buggy, though! :)

that is why I am getting the M3 rather than the 2 door. :D
Rick999

Postby Angus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

waremark wrote: The B3 performance is quoted as 0 - 100 kph in 4.2 seconds. Not exactly slow. In fact no slower than the M3. Now that the M3/M4 has moved to a turbo 3 litre I am not quite sure how much difference there is between the M car and the Alpina. The M car looks better.

Probably the only main differences are the Alpina run on proper tyres, not run-flats and it isn't restricted to 155mph

waremark wrote: The diesel Alpina has amazing performance - extraordinary for a diesel, pretty special for any car.

They're putting the 3litre twin turbo diesel in now. Most of the D3s out there are the 2 litre diesel from the 123D tho'
Angus

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Rick999 wrote:
Horse wrote:

Congratulations!

that is why I am getting the M3 rather than the 2 door. :D

:roll: :lol: :oops: :D Sorry, I just saw the pic of the white one and presumed (you know what they say, "never presume, it makes a pres out of you and me").

To me, 'M4' is my daily commute. Now, if you'd said 'BMW R1200RT' I'd have had a better idea ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum