towing and weight/licence requirement

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Joe 90 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:30 pm

As a sailer I decided to get a trailer so I can take my boat to various events around the UK, as the boat and trailer combined don't weigh over 750kg and my car comes in at 1.2 tonnes will I be able to tow without having to take a further test.
Was also wondering if there are any restrictions on the length of the trailer which I am allowed to tow and whether im only allowed a single axled trailer or a double.

Joe
Whatever you say I am, that's what im not.
Joe 90

Postby Angus » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Depending on your car & engine, 750kg shouldn't be a problem. For example, the S-Max will tow 1100kg with the 2 litre petrol & 1750 kg with the 2 litre diesel. It may need to be a braked trailer though.

As to length, ever seen a glider being towed down the motorway? )long white box 50 foot long

Single/twin axle depends upon the weight of your boat - single should be enough for a boat.

The IAM do a trailer/caravan test

Angus
Angus

Postby jont » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Angus wrote:As to length, ever seen a glider being towed down the motorway? )long white box 50 foot long

Well, not quite 50ft! The trailers are usually about 8m long. In my less clever days I have towed a glider behind a 205 :shock: :oops: (I spent 3 years gliding so looked into trailer law quite a bit).

If the trailer Max authorised mass is under 750kg (and this should be stamped on the trailer somewhere), there are no special licence requirements. Only other requirement is that it's not heavier than the plated limit for the car. The usual advice is that the trailer should be <85% of the empty weight of the car.

IIRC there are some obscure regulations that basically mean while a glider trailer with glider in can legally be towed (it's an indivisible load), the trailer empty can't. That may be gliding club myth though.

The only other caveat is that some breakdown companies restrict the size of trailer they will cover if you need recovering. It may be worth checking the details in your policy.

HTH,

Jon
jont

Postby Joe 90 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:04 pm

Ok, thanks for the replys you two, much apreciated.

Joe
Whatever you say I am, that's what im not.
Joe 90

Return to General Car Chat Forum