View your driving licence online

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 am

mefoster wrote:
waremark wrote:This is the answer I got:

"You do not hold a current GB driving licence, a licence has been issued by another licensing authority"

So far as I know my license came from Swansea. Thoughts?

Did you originally pass your test in another country and exchange their licence for a UK one?

Harrogate, UK, 1972
waremark

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I am not concerned about it.

I recall reading that we will soon have a new card license type which does not require a paper counterpart. Can anyone provide more information about this?
waremark

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:09 pm

mefoster wrote:
waremark wrote:I am not concerned about it.

I recall reading that we will soon have a new card license type which does not require a paper counterpart. Can anyone provide more information about this?

That would, and does, worry me. If the data held online are incorrect, how are they going to issue a new licence correctly? The threads linked earlier contain many examples of categories missing where the DVLA response boils down to, "tough, you have to re-take your test at your own expense". OK, it's anecdotal but there are enough of them reported independently that they can't all be wrong.

Well I have just checked my details and they appear OK. In addition to cars I can still drive tractors etc. and any motorbike with or without a sidecar (better known as a motorcycle combination to us older folk.) I'm not sure how I would feel though in riding one of these 1000cc+ bikes, the power would not worry me (I would rather enjoy it, perhaps too much :D) but the weight of them would. If it toppled over I doubt I could pick it back up again. :lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby MGF » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:47 pm

My photocard licence has the categories on it. What benefit is there in having them printed on a counterpart?
MGF

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Glad to see my details are as expected - including 7.5T, which I've used in the past and may conceivably use again.

I too was a little surprised by having a provisional licence for any motorbike. I did pass a hazard test a few years ago with the view to completing the full bike test but circumstances changed and it dropped from my interest. I thought there was a car park based "drive round the cones" and a limit of 500cc - is that no longer the case?
Carbon Based

Postby trashbat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:25 pm

That (passing CBT or greater) is the provision, is it not?

If that weren't the case, how would you ever do Direct Access?
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:26 pm

jcochrane wrote:In addition to cars I can still drive tractors etc. and any motorbike with or without a sidecar (better known as a motorcycle combination to us older folk.) I'm not sure how I would feel though in riding one of these 1000cc+ bikes, the power would not worry me (I would rather enjoy it, perhaps too much :D) but the weight of them would. If it toppled over I doubt I could pick it back up again. :lol:

Many years ago, looking at the categories on my licence, I seem to recall it said I could drive things like 'heavy locomotive' and 'light locomotive' (though I never knew what they were), and various other things, most of which were of no interest to me.

Hey, I wonder if it's now OK for me to drive a medium sized saloon car. Maybe I should settle for that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 pm

TripleS wrote:
jcochrane wrote:In addition to cars I can still drive tractors etc. and any motorbike with or without a sidecar (better known as a motorcycle combination to us older folk.) I'm not sure how I would feel though in riding one of these 1000cc+ bikes, the power would not worry me (I would rather enjoy it, perhaps too much :D) but the weight of them would. If it toppled over I doubt I could pick it back up again. :lol:

Many years ago, looking at the categories on my licence, I seem to recall it said I could drive things like 'heavy locomotive' and 'light locomotive' (though I never knew what they were), and various other things, most of which were of no interest to me.

Hey, I wonder if it's now OK for me to drive a medium sized saloon car. Maybe I should settle for that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Heavy locomotive and light locomotive are possibly steam traction engines.

The heavy ones would probably be the ones designed for heavy work and pulling large loads around the place etc.

The light ones would probably be for operating small machines and work with light loads.

Well, that's my guess :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

TripleS wrote:Hey, I wonder if it's now OK for me to drive a medium sized saloon car.

Not when you have an estate car. ;-)
Silk

Postby TripleS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:Hey, I wonder if it's now OK for me to drive a medium sized saloon car.

Not when you have an estate car. ;-)

I don't have an estate car.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum