View your driving licence online

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 pm

You might be interested to take a look:

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Interesting and I take from this that we have in our licence an effective identity document.
I wonder why we cannot use this for travel around the EU? To carry a passport in addition seems unnecessary.
At least my details were correct; no gremlins hidden away.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm

That's interesting. Didn't know I could do that.

My license (folded paper with tears and holes; i'd still have my first green one if we hadn't moved) allows me to drive a 7.5t lorry, a Tractor, various vans with seats and trailers.... I wouldn't drive any of them without first being trained in how to. Makes me wonder who does drive on these entitlements and how. 28 years without claiming for a crash or having any points issued is pretty good going.

Could that link be posted as a sticky under the heading 'Driver Resources' somewhere?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby trashbat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Have a look at the end of this PH thread: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 23309&nmt=

I don't personally know anything about this, but it says C1E is actually C1+E, so no problem.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:34 pm

See I read the 'E' to mean that I was entitled to drive a 12 seater with or without a trailer, as an extension to the standard category.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby MGF » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 pm

sussex2 wrote:Interesting and I take from this that we have in our licence an effective identity document.
I wonder why we cannot use this for travel around the EU? To carry a passport in addition seems unnecessary.

A UK driving licence is not proof of UK nationality. Nationality is an essential element of a travel document. It is technically possible to add nationality to a UK national's driving licence but the UK has chosen not to issue ID cards.
MGF

Postby trashbat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:20 pm

How old's your paper licence (when did you last move house etc)? That's probably the differentiator.

Honestly though, if it's a matter of C1+E vs C1E, I'd be struggling to care. Especially given that the website is still in beta.
trashbat

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm

MGF wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Interesting and I take from this that we have in our licence an effective identity document.

A UK driving licence is not proof of UK nationality. Nationality is an essential element of a travel document. It is technically possible to add nationality to a UK national's driving licence but the UK has chosen not to issue ID cards.

Oh but it would be so much more easy if you travel a lot to just have one document.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby jont » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 pm

sussex2 wrote:
MGF wrote:

Oh but it would be so much more easy if you travel a lot to just have one document.

Better still if we joined Schengen :roll:
jont

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Indeed!
sussex2

Postby dombooth » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 am

I can view mine, but my dads doesn't work.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby trashbat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am

mefoster wrote:
trashbat wrote:How old's your paper licence (when did you last move house etc)? That's probably the differentiator.

The age of the paper licence makes no difference.

Yes it does.

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories
trashbat

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:29 pm

jont wrote:Better still if we joined Schengen :roll:

Really?

It's ok for the countries that are in effect simply continuations of one country. Our country is very different. The fact we speak English and have an international reputation for being a soft-touch, would mean we'd be swamped inside a week.
Silk

Postby jont » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Silk wrote:
jont wrote:Better still if we joined Schengen :roll:

Really?

It's ok for the countries that are in effect simply continuations of one country. Our country is very different. The fact we speak English and have an international reputation for being a soft-touch, would mean we'd be swamped inside a week.

No it wouldn't. Non-european travellers wouldn't be able to arrive any more easily than they can now. Travellers from Europe are permitted freedom of movement, so can come here already. It just saves all the mucking around with immigration when you've been to the mainland. And would mean the Borders Agency staff could get on with vetting people from outside Schengen so I don't have to spend so long in immigration queues when I get back from Europe. In all the various bits of travel I do, getting back home is usually the worst experience of the lot :evil:
jont

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:31 pm

This is the answer I got:

"You do not hold a current GB driving licence, a licence has been issued by another licensing authority"

So far as I know my license came from Swansea. Thoughts?
waremark

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum