Driver Education

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Interesting US blog...

http://www.drivingintherealworld.com/journal/2014/7/7/25-ways-to-a-dream-drivers-education-program.html

When I first read it, I thought she was suggesting a TV program but I think it's just her ideas for a training course.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Seems marvellous.

I completely agree with all of them, especially the point about GPS systems.

I have an inbuilt sense of navigation, and I can work out which way is roughly north and use the environment to help me navigate from here to there.

My father, and sister, both completely lack this ability. They observe the sat-nav religiously, which means they get frustrated when they miss turnings, which leads to them missing hazards as they're focused on where they need to go.

Me and my mother, navigating is a natural thing for us, meaning if the sat-nav tells us to go somewhere and we can see it's busy, we both could happily bypass it using the signs and looking for landmarks etc. Father and sister will just follow the sat-nav and complain about the traffic, and when asked why didn't they just go a different way, they will reply with "The sat-nav told me to go this way!"

This was perfectly demonstrated when we were coming back from Legoland last week, as we left the resort, we turned left, following the signs for the M4 through Windsor, which was the route the sat-nav told us to go (recommended route too, so every one else was going that way too). Terrible jams, with the M4 becoming blocked due to a fire etc.

If my dad turned right, which is what my inbuilt navigation system told me to do, then I strongly suspect that 3.5 hour journey would have been no more than 2 hours.
TheInsanity1234

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:35 pm

martine wrote:...but I think it's just her ideas for a training course.

Thanks, Martin - yes, "drivers' ed" is American for driving lessons, but because the age at which you're allowed to drive in the US is below the age at which many people leave school, the classes are often delivered through schools.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm

kfae8959 wrote:

Thanks, Martin - yes, "drivers' ed" is American for driving lessons, but because the age at which you're allowed to drive in the US is below the age at which many people leave school, the classes are often delivered through schools.

David

I heard recently that one US state permits driving at age 14.5 yrs.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Horse wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:

David

I heard recently that one US state permits driving at age 14.5 yrs.

I think Texas allows permits at 15, and North Carolina issues permits at 14.5
TheInsanity1234

Postby triquet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:56 am

The proposed driver education program is excellent, and it's a great shame we don't have anything like it this side of the Pond. The only problem is that it would be expensive to implement, take some time to go through and ... a lot of people just want to be drive as a means of transport. They are not interested in the niceties of driving and would glaze over or lose interest if presented with too great a syllabus. Or just give up. Or drive without a license.

Yes yes yes, I know that everything on the list is highly desirable and some is downright essential, but ... I'm not being Devil's Advocate (or am I?). Just pointing out that there might be some potential problems.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby savvy driver » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am

Great idea and would really improve the way people interact on our streets.
We do have further compulsory driver education for professionsl drivers of HGVs and PCVs. The CPC courses 35 hours over 5 years https://www.gov.uk/driver-certificate-o ... c/overview

Something akin to this would benefit all drivers (though wouldn't make many very happy)
savvy driver

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 pm

savvy driver wrote:Something akin to this would benefit all drivers (though wouldn't make many very happy)

Exactly, but it could be an electoral disaster to the party that suggests it.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:07 pm

fungus wrote:
savvy driver wrote:Something akin to this would benefit all drivers (though wouldn't make many very happy)

So why not get all-party agreement? Everyone knows really, it makes sense - so if all party's were committed (bit like Trident - ooooo controversial) then it could be made law. I think there are decreasing returns on road engineering, ever lower speed limits, more restriction...driver education is the only way to go!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm

martine wrote:
fungus wrote:

So why not get all-party agreement? Everyone knows really, it makes sense - so if all party's were committed (bit like Trident - ooooo controversial) then it could be made law. I think there are decreasing returns on road engineering, ever lower speed limits, more restriction...driver education is the only way to go!

But then parties can't form a consensus on dealing with obesity, legalising drugs or assisted dying. So sorting out driving standards has got sod all chance. And you'd have to have an MP prepared to stick their head above the parapet to champion it too.
jont

Postby superplum » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 pm

jont wrote: And you'd have to have an MP prepared to stick their head above the parapet to champion it too.

Ed Balls?

:lol:
superplum

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm

superplum wrote:
jont wrote: And you'd have to have an MP prepared to stick their head above the parapet to champion it too.

Ed Balls?

His name gets me into the titters every time, not sure I could take him seriously if he was the one to champion it :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
superplum wrote:

Ed Balls?

His name gets me into the titters every time, not sure I could take him seriously if he was the one to champion it :mrgreen:

Completely off topic but.....

The principal flute of, I believe, the Halle Orchestra, in the 1930's was called Ernest Ball. After a concert directed by Sir Thomas Beecham, in which the flautist had performed a beautifully executed extended solo passage, the conductor, while congratulating him, requested his name.

"Ball, Sir Thomas"

"Dear me" replied the maestro, "how singular!"
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Return to General Car Chat Forum