Amateurs with a death wish?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:07 pm

martine wrote:
GJD wrote:Forum's not moderated enough, that's the problem. :)

Aaarrrrgh...I think I'll just let the 2 fight it out - preferably by private message.

Apologies, I've only seen this post after my reply. I'll stop replying on this thread now, since the facts about the project speak far more eloquently than I need to.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 pm

mefoster wrote:
richie349 wrote:... horse to drive another member away by being offensive?

Offensive? :roll: God forbid someone should ever say something *really* offensive on here.

:wink:
Silk

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:31 pm

mefoster wrote:
richie349 wrote:... horse to drive another member away by being offensive?

Offensive? :roll: God forbid someone should ever say something *really* offensive on here.

I mentioned 'safety smooth system speed' - but I think I got away with it.

(Before recommending 'safety smooth style' ;) )
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 am

richie349 wrote:
martine wrote:
richie349 wrote:...and ADUK is back to making derogatory remarks towards fellow members.

No not ADUK just 'Horse'.

And as a moderator, you'll allow horse to drive another member away by being offensive?

You really are struggling to keep up, richie349 - it was Martin that suggested your earlier comments were unkind, and I completely agreed. Just because certain groups of people haven't broken the land speed record doesn't mean their attempts, however serious or not, weren't or aren't valiant efforts.

So when horse mentioned this in light of your subsequent comments you go whining to Martin? Hmm ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:44 am

Horse didn't mention this though. He accused Rich of being "ill informed" because, in fact, NAE had done some test runs and put a female driver in for at least one of them. It seemed clear to me that Rich was referring to attempts to break the land speed record and not preparations for the same. Horse's criticism was misplaced and appeared to be a desperate attempt to criticise.
MGF

Postby Gareth » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

MGF wrote:He accused Rich of being "ill informed" ...

I would say he suggested richie349 may be ill informed rather than accused him of being so - there being many possible shades of grey when interpreting written comment.

In my mind suggesting that someone might not have a full grasp of a situation, in the manner put forward by horse, seems a fairly mild comment and I was surprised that richie349 interpreted it as an attempt to drive him away from this forum.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Guys can we stop what I can only describe as 'bickering'? In the scale of things I don't think 'ill-informed' is particularly offensive but it was unnecessary and not the way we try to do things here. Can I ask all the protagonists to leave it here please?

There have been too many posts here directed at individuals - we are a driving forum - lets focus on intelligent and respectful discussion of driving, cars, roads, law etc.

Please 8)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Must be the hot weather! :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Gareth wrote:

I would say he suggested richie349 may be ill informed rather than accused him of being so - there being many possible shades of grey when interpreting written comment.

In my mind suggesting that someone might not have a full grasp of a situation, in the manner put forward by horse, seems a fairly mild comment and I was surprised that richie349 interpreted it as an attempt to drive him away from this forum.

I'm happy with 'suggested' rather than 'accused'. Still reads as desperate and unnecessary to me.

Whilst we are splitting hairs I don't think Rich was claiming there was an attempt to drive him away from the forum. Just a suggestion that this might be the effect. :)

FWIW I think Rich overreacted but I don't see why we can't be a little more welcoming to newcomers so they can settle in and learn the house rules.
MGF

Postby richie349 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:54 pm

MGF wrote:
Gareth wrote:

I'm happy with 'suggested' rather than 'accused'. Still reads as desperate and unnecessary to me.

Whilst we are splitting hairs I don't think Rich was claiming there was an attempt to drive him away from the forum. Just a suggestion that this might be the effect. :)

FWIW I think Rich overreacted but I don't see why we can't be a little more welcoming to newcomers so they can settle in and learn the house rules.

That's it exactly. It just feels like there's often a critical edge to people's responses on here. It's a bit like the forum lies dormant, then someone comes forward and starts a topic, and quickly get shot down. Just look way how many posts there have been on this thread, but how few there were before it descended into an argument. That's not good...
richie349

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 pm

richie349 wrote:That's it exactly. It just feels like there's often a critical edge to people's responses on here. It's a bit like the forum lies dormant, then someone comes forward and starts a topic, and quickly get shot down. Just look way how many posts there have been on this thread, but how few there were before it descended into an argument. That's not good...

In other words, we all enjoy a jolly good battle. :wink:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:07 pm

richie349 wrote:It just feels like there's often a critical edge to people's responses on here. It's a bit like the forum lies dormant, then someone comes forward and starts a topic, and quickly get shot down. Just look way how many posts there have been on this thread, but how few there were before it descended into an argument. That's not good...

It's just a bit of fun. It's simply the online equivalent of a group of mates down the pub. The only difference is, it's not always easy to convey the spirit of a conversation in the same way as you can when face to face, so offense is often taken when none is meant. If people were to bear this in mind, I'm sure we'd all get along much better... no offence. ;-)
Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:16 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
richie349 wrote:That's it exactly. It just feels like there's often a critical edge to people's responses on here. It's a bit like the forum lies dormant, then someone comes forward and starts a topic, and quickly get shot down. Just look way how many posts there have been on this thread, but how few there were before it descended into an argument. That's not good...

Why is it that you get it, when some of those who are older, and supposedly wiser, don't?
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:56 am

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Why is it that you get it, when some of those who are older, and supposedly wiser, don't?

Because I can't abide political correctness.

Many a time, I've had people apologise for the fact I'm deaf.
All because they're concerned they might offend me.

*facepalm*
TheInsanity1234

Postby MGF » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:48 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:

Except when it's on Pistonheads. :wink:
MGF

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum