Abolishion of driving licence counterpart 01/01/2015

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby triquet » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Off to France tomorrow and will need to take all the bumf with me lest the Bold Gendarmes pounce ...
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Zebedee » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:31 pm

MGF wrote:The IAM or RoSPA may have a legitimate interest in points but they can probably access this information, with the consent of the driver, from DVLA.

I genuinely don't understand why the IAM or RoSPA need to know this info. They're charities, not the police. It isn't their responsibility to monitor points on people's licenses; that's the Government's job via the DVSA.

As long as someone has a valid license, I'd argue that the IAM and RoADAR should enable him or her to learn advanced driving. Leave monitoring points on driving licenses to the police and DVSA.

What's more, if someone has a lot of points, then he or she might particularly benefit from becoming a better driver through the IAM or RoSPA. People with points on their license could stand to benefit most from advanced training.
Zebedee

Postby trashbat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:01 am

They used to care but don't any more.

The reason seems to have been that people would join the IAM etc as an attempt at creating evidence to get them out of a ban.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby superplum » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:31 am

trashbat wrote:They used to care but don't any more.

The reason seems to have been that people would join the IAM etc as an attempt at creating evidence to get them out of a ban.

It was always the policy that you had to inform the parent organisation of any motoring "misdemeanors" so they could consider whether the individual remained worthy to be a member. Training is a different matter: that responsibility rests with the local groups. It is not unknown for individuals to request advanced training so that this excuse can be used as a mitigating factor during possible sentencing. My group recently had an elderly advanced driver apply for membership and refresher training; he already had 3 points and also had 3 outstanding NIPs for speeding in a 30mph (home village). We declined tp provide training until the NIP's actions had been completed. The comment was "OK, I understand, I thought I would try anyway"!
:shock:
superplum

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:38 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:
I obtained a plastic card driving licence a few years ago on reaching the age of 70 (mind you, the photograph shows a most unsavoury looking character!), and it lives in the filing cabinet, together with the paper bit, so they remain clean and tidy, and I know where to find them if necessary.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

The trouble with that, Dave, is that when the rozzers stop you for driving at 1000 m.p.h. on the A171, You have to make a special trip to Whitby nick to produce it, with the concomitant difficulty/cost of parking. :)

I would probably walk there, and find it closed, most likely. Pah, part-timers! :roll:
TripleS

Postby true blue » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm told that one of my father's friends put his paper driving licence through the washing machine by mistake. It came out clean - in every sense of the word! Apparently the ink used for endorsements was less permanent than that used for the rest of the license!

I've used my paper counterpart for hiring a car abroad, to show my employer and for IAM/RoSPA tests. Ditching the paper counterpart seems a sensible move along with electronic-only tax discs.
true blue

Postby triquet » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Up until the age of 70 I did not have a plastic card, I just used the paper counterpart. You are quite OK using this until having to renew at 70. I used the scruffy paper to hire cars incl abroad on a regular basis without problem.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby MGF » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 am

Zebedee wrote:
MGF wrote:The IAM or RoSPA may have a legitimate interest in points but they can probably access this information, with the consent of the driver, from DVLA.

I genuinely don't understand why the IAM or RoSPA need to know this info. They're charities, not the police. It isn't their responsibility to monitor points on people's licenses; that's the Government's job via the DVSA.

If the organisation doesn't want members or associates with a certain amount of points on their licence or to attach conditions to membership then that would be a legitmate interest. Joining is voluntary. Whether such conditions should apply is another matter.
MGF

Postby superplum » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Zebedee wrote: I genuinely don't understand why the IAM or RoSPA need to know this info. They're charities, not the police. It isn't their responsibility to monitor points on people's licenses; that's the Government's job via the DVSA.

As long as someone has a valid license, I'd argue that the IAM and RoADAR should enable him or her to learn advanced driving. Leave monitoring points on driving licenses to the police and DVSA.

Missed this bit earlier; why has "DVSA" got to be involved?

Oh dear, have I now become pedantic?
:twisted:
superplum

Postby martine » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 pm

superplum wrote:My group recently had an elderly advanced driver apply for membership and refresher training; he already had 3 points and also had 3 outstanding NIPs for speeding in a 30mph (home village). We declined tp provide training until the NIP's actions had been completed. The comment was "OK, I understand, I thought I would try anyway"!

That seems a little harsh - isn't it just as likely the driver genuinely wants to improve their observation and control - isn't this just the sort of driver we should be encouraging?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Rick101 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 pm

About time.

I keep my photocard attached to my paper with masking tape (removes easily). There is no point keeping the handy card sized part in you wallet apart from ID as as a licence it isn't valid without the paper. So present both, or neither.

I also tend to keep a colour photocopy in the glovebox of all my cars along with copies of V5, MOT and insurance certificate. I started the practice after a few trips abroad and figured it was worthwhile continuing.
Rick101

Postby superplum » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:40 pm

martine wrote:
superplum wrote:My group recently had an elderly advanced driver apply for membership and refresher training; he already had 3 points and also had 3 outstanding NIPs for speeding in a 30mph (home village). We declined tp provide training until the NIP's actions had been completed. The comment was "OK, I understand, I thought I would try anyway"!

That seems a little harsh - isn't it just as likely the driver genuinely wants to improve their observation and control - isn't this just the sort of driver we should be encouraging?

Not if you know the full story which, of course, will not be included here. Suffice it to say that he had achieved RoSPA Gold somewhere and knew the system - blaming the speed limiter didn't help his case. However, as per my original comment, training was withheld only until NIP action was completed. Still waiting to hear but 12 points......
:|
superplum

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Gosh, my wife and I don't have these new fangled photo type licences. Just the one piece pink thing.

Eta, surely by now, a Mod on this most pedantic of 'sites would have spotted and edited the thread title?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Standard Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

It's easier to find the DVLA record on the computer with the DL number than name and date of birth, I carry the card part but not the counterpart I'd not believe it anyway and reference the computer anyhow before taking any action.

There are some companies who examine the licences of approved drivers to check for points for insurance purposes so I'm not sure how they will continue to ensure employees have 6 or less points etc. I suppose you could get them to sign a declaration if they lie it's fraud or misconduct so you can sack them more easily if that suits in future I suppose.
Standard Dave

Postby michael769 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:18 am

The DVLA is trialling an online lookup service for employers and the like.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum