Abolishion of driving licence counterpart 01/01/2015

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ce-changes

What to do with your paper counterpart from January 2015

If you don’t think you’ll need it, then you may destroy it. You should not destroy the counterpart before 1 January 2015.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ROG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:09 am

How will tutors/observers check the points?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Zebedee » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 am

Yes, why would an observer/tutor need to check how many points an associate has? As long as the associate has a valid driving licence, the number of points isn't the business of an observer. It's only the business of the insurance company and authorities like the police.
Zebedee

Postby MGF » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 am

The IAM or RoSPA may have a legitimate interest in points but they can probably access this information, with the consent of the driver, from DVLA.
MGF

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am

What will happen when you hire a car?
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby MGF » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 am

Hire co. contacts DVLA for driver record.
MGF

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Said this to my parents.

Their first response was "about time!"

Apparently they're fed up with the fragility of the paper counterpart, which has to be protected from absolutely everything, for fear of it getting torn, damaged, etc. But as soon as you have to take it out to present to a policeman, it gets damaged and torn anyway. :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Hehe mine (which is my ONLY licence) resembles a very old and well-used handkerchief that's been mended with Sellotape, which has fallen off, and been replaced with more Sellotape ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby triquet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Hehe mine (which is my ONLY licence) resembles a very old and well-used handkerchief that's been mended with Sellotape, which has fallen off, and been replaced with more Sellotape ...

I had one of those until last year when anno domini forced me to have one of those plasticy things as well ... :D
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby fungus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Hehe mine (which is my ONLY licence) resembles a very old and well-used handkerchief that's been mended with Sellotape, which has fallen off, and been replaced with more Sellotape ...

Likewise.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Said this to my parents.

Apparently they're fed up with the fragility of the paper counterpart, which has to be protected from absolutely everything, for fear of it getting torn, damaged, etc. But as soon as you have to take it out to present to a policeman, it gets damaged and torn anyway. :lol:

It is only the licence that should be given to any policeman. To hand over the counterpart could influence his judgement and make any prosecution invalid.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby michael769 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I would imagine that some staff will continue to insist on the counterpart for a few months until their employers finally get round to briefing them about the change. So I'd advise hanging onto it for a wee while - just in case.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:12 pm

mefoster wrote:
sussex2 wrote:

It is only the licence that should be given to any policeman. To hand over the counterpart could influence his judgement and make any prosecution invalid.

I don't believe that's true. A police officer can only offer a fixed-penalty at the side of the road if the 3 points (or whatever) would not put you over the 12 point limit. If it would or if they don't know then they must refer for summons in the normal way.

Doubtless someone will correct me if that is wrong.

Well, I genuinely have no idea whether they've actually taken it out of the plastic thing (though my dad would've had to take it out to send to the rozzers for his 3 points), whatever. I meant to just say it seems to enjoy disintegrating for no apparent reason.
TheInsanity1234

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 am

chriskay wrote:What are your parents doing that they have to produce the counterpart? Mine has never left my wallet since I first got it several years ago.

I have had to show mine at track days. I always take it when hiring but don't generally get asked for it.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:02 am

chriskay wrote:

What are your parents doing that they have to produce the counterpart? Mine has never left my wallet since I first got it several years ago.

I obtained a plastic card driving licence a few years ago on reaching the age of 70 (mind you, the photograph shows a most unsavoury looking character!), and it lives in the filing cabinet, together with the paper bit, so they remain clean and tidy, and I know where to find them if necessary.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum