Abolishion of driving licence counterpart 01/01/2015

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:11 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Gosh, my wife and I don't have these new fangled photo type licences. Just the one piece pink thing.

Too much information. :shock:
Silk

Postby Rick101 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 am

Standard Dave wrote:
There are some companies who examine the licences of approved drivers to check for points for insurance purposes so I'm not sure how they will continue to ensure employees have 6 or less points etc. I suppose you could get them to sign a declaration if they lie it's fraud or misconduct so you can sack them more easily if that suits in future I suppose.

My company (Network Rail) has recently issued documents for you to sign that will allow their contracted company to access licence records and manage the fitness of staff to drive.
I'd guess with the timings it's down to the changes at DVLA.

One another point, what systems are there for insurers to check points history over 5 years? Mine (correctly) aren't showing on DVLA systems as they are now 4.5 years old,
Rick101

Postby MGF » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Endorsements are counted as convictions for the purposes of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Under the Act your endorsement is 'spent' after 5 years and you are not obliged to disclose it (subject to exceptions and insurers are not one of them). It is also unlawful to ask you to disclose it.

...Or do you mean upto 5 years?
MGF

Postby Rick101 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm

I mean endorsements of 3.5 and 4.5 years.

After 3 years they are invalid but stay on paper licence.

As the paper licence is going, will they still be on the database?

They certainly aren't after 4 years as mine are not showing.

What's to stop someone forgetting that they had points 3 or 4 years ago if there is no record of them with DVLA?
Rick101

Postby MGF » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm

I see. I don't think a record remains but your declaration of points in the first three years probably remains on the insurer's databases. Maybe they refer to these data if you make a claim.
MGF

Postby Ralge » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Rick101 wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:
There are some companies who examine the licences of approved drivers to check for points for insurance purposes so I'm not sure how they will continue to ensure employees have 6 or less points etc. I suppose you could get them to sign a declaration if they lie it's fraud or misconduct so you can sack them more easily if that suits in future I suppose.

My company (Network Rail) has recently issued documents for you to sign that will allow their contracted company to access licence records and manage the fitness of staff to drive.
I'd guess with the timings it's down to the changes at DVLA.

One another point, what systems are there for insurers to check points history over 5 years? Mine (correctly) aren't showing on DVLA systems as they are now 4.5 years old,

Getting the driver to sign the mandate for a third party company to check your licence periodically is quite common - over the years I have signed more than a few of these for my paymasters and clients to be able to check the status of my licence.
Depending on the monies being charged the frequency and level of detail of checks can vary.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby michael769 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:27 am

Rick101 wrote:
As the paper licence is going, will they still be on the database?

They certainly aren't after 4 years as mine are not showing.

They remain in the DVLA database forever and can certainly be retrieved via the PNC as with any spent convictions. However they will not be revealed to anyone (other than via PNC queries or to the courts) after the 4 year mark (11 for drink driving endorsements).

Insurers have access to declared (to insurers) endorsements via Insurance Hunter and CIFAS until they are spent.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Rick101 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 am

Good info thanks.

Can I assume Insurance Hunter and CIFAS are a shared database insurers use?
Rick101

Postby michael769 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

Rick101 wrote:Good info thanks.

Can I assume Insurance Hunter and CIFAS are a shared database insurers use?

Yeah. Insurance Hunter, CIFAS.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby MGF » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

I would be surprised if it is correct that spent endorsements remain on DVLA's records forever. They are not comparable to spent convictions, as the latter are only spent in terms of disclosure.
MGF

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:10 pm

MGF wrote:I see. I don't think a record remains but your declaration of points in the first three years probably remains on the insurer's databases. Maybe they refer to these data if you make a claim.

Hmm. Is it "these data" or "this data?"

I take data to be a collective term meaning information, so I tend to think that "this data" is more correct - or at least it is in my somewhat warped mind. :lol:
TripleS

Postby MGF » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Either will do but I went for the more pretentious version because I was referring to more than one insurer's database. Unfortunately I typed insurer's rather than insurers'.
MGF

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 pm

TripleS wrote:Hmm. Is it "these data" or "this data?"

It's "these data". The singular is datum - it means "something given".

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:46 pm

kfae8959 wrote:

David

Loadacrap.

If I have a memory stick that contains 2GB of data, I can use it to copy this data onto a computer. No one would say "copy these data", unless they were a pompous prat trying, and failing, to be clever.

In modern usage, and in this context, data simply means an amount of information.
Silk

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Silk wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:

David

Loadacrap.

If I have a memory stick that contains 2GB of data, I can use it to copy this data onto a computer. No one would say "copy these data", unless they were a pompous prat trying, and failing, to be clever.

In modern usage, and in this context, data simply means an amount of information.

It's very easy to settle this. Just look it up in a good dictionary. Of course no one has to accept the dictionary definitions if they don't wish to. :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum