Aircon - what is it with people?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 pm

I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen over the last few days with all the windows down and the occupants gasping for air in aircon equipped cars. I mean, would these people consider leaving the fridge door open in order to keep the contents cool?

I know my mother-in-law doesn't like to use it because she was told it uses too much petrol, but then she's really dumb when it comes to this kind of thing, so she has an excuse - in reality, she doesn't use it because she doesn't know how to turn it on.

And don't get me started on shops with the aircon running and all the doors open. I very often make a point of closing them if they're not wedged open. I often get some shop assistant complaining that they need them open because it's hot. Of course it it, you fool. You're letting all the heat in!
Silk

Postby Grahar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:00 pm

There is some merit in having windows down though this maybe not why some people do it. In my pre-convertible days I used to drive with the windows down in the summer on slower roads. Firstly I like the fresh air, secondly I like the breeze and it makes me feel more connected to the outdoors. Also it means you can hear whats going on around more clearly. I used the aircon more at higher speeds. Also on short hops if the car has been sitting in the heat for a while opening the windows is initially more effective at cooling the interior down.

I sometimes drive with the aircon on and with the roof down when I am driving in very hot weather abroad as this gives me the best of both worlds. It particularly comes in handy if you are in town and there is no breeze. I better keep out of your way or you might make me put the roof up at gun point!
Grahar

Postby michael769 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 am

Aircon dries the air out and this can be quite unpleasant for folks who wear some kinds of contact lens.

It is also well known that AC increases fuel consumption more than having a window open does (I have never noticed nuch of a difference myself).

Aircon also has a habit of stopping working and is expensive to repair.

And some folks just like to feel the breeze on a hit sunny day.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:12 pm

I tend to open windows at speeds below 30mph, and shut the windows and use air con when above 30.

It used to be said in earlier editions of the DSAs Driving the Essential Skills, to close the windows and use the cars blower, as the open windows increased drag, and increased fuel consumption. Personally I've not noticed a difference, not that I monitor fuel consumption that keenly. My personal opinion is that the authorities will say what is politicaly correct at the time.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Grahar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Using the fan on high speed to cool a car urban situations detracts from safety and reduces the driver's ability to concentrate. Ever noticed the wave of calm that descends when you switch the fan off from high speed when it has been necessary (to prevent misting up) whilst negotiating/pulling out at a busy junction when it is raining hard and visibility is poor?! :D
Grahar

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Grahar wrote:Using the fan on high speed to cool a car urban situations detracts from safety and reduces the driver's ability to concentrate. Ever noticed the wave of calm that descends when you switch the fan off from high speed when it has been necessary (to prevent misting up) whilst negotiating/pulling out at a busy junction when it is raining hard and visibility is poor?! :D

I think that may be because they have a tendency to be rather noisy at high speeds. This may cause people to feel more agitated. I don't know the psychology behind it, but I do see what you mean.

It's the same thing where you're happier to trundle along doing 4 mph when listening to something soothing on the radio, and yet, listening to punk rock encourages you to drive at 149,638 mph everywhere and get angry at every single person who doesn't drive any faster than 149,637 mph.

I find, even from the passenger seat, that I seem to be a bit more prone to being annoyed when someone cuts up my parents when Lady Gaga is playing on the radio compared to when The Beatles is playing.
(Having said that, Justine Bieber seems to drive me into a state of incandescent fury whenever she comes on the radio, but I suspect this may be related to the extremely poor quality of noise produced by her :wink: :mrgreen:)

I also find that I'm much more relaxed when I take my hearing aids out and I cannot hear a thing. I think this is because it causes me to become a bit more observant, and use my eyes just a little bit more. Whenever I do this, I find I'm able to predict when people are going to do stupid things much more accurately, and this may be because I therefore recognise the subtle signals given off by cars before they do something, i.e. the very slight shift to the white lines then returning to the centre of their lane before they change lanes being a classic case in point.
TheInsanity1234

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I also find that I'm much more relaxed when I take my hearing aids out and I cannot hear a thing. I think this is because it causes me to become a bit more observant, and use my eyes just a little bit more. Whenever I do this, I find I'm able to predict when people are going to do stupid things much more accurately, and this may be because I therefore recognise the subtle signals given off by cars before they do something, i.e. the very slight shift to the white lines then returning to the centre of their lane before they change lanes being a classic case in point.

This seems to be the case with people who are profoundly deaf. My wifes late uncle was profoundly deaf and only had one eye, but his observation was way better than most people with full hearing and eyesight.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby sussex2 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Insanity
You have perception beyond your years.
When you eventually get a licence I've no doubt at all you will be a valuable member of the more educated driving community.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby PeterE » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Silk wrote:I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen over the last few days with all the windows down and the occupants gasping for air in aircon equipped cars. I mean, would these people consider leaving the fridge door open in order to keep the contents cool?

Maybe their aircon is broken?

michael769 wrote:Aircon dries the air out and this can be quite unpleasant for folks who wear some kinds of contact lens.

Most contact lens wearers seem cope with it.

I hope I never end up buying a used car from someone who has refused to use the aircon on principle...
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:31 pm

chriskay wrote:You just like to have something to moan about, don't you, Silk?

At least that's one thing I have in common with most people on this forum. :wink:

Besides, it's not a moan. It's gone way beyond that. :evil:
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

fungus wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I also find that I'm much more relaxed when I take my hearing aids out and I cannot hear a thing. I think this is because it causes me to become a bit more observant, and use my eyes just a little bit more. Whenever I do this, I find I'm able to predict when people are going to do stupid things much more accurately, and this may be because I therefore recognise the subtle signals given off by cars before they do something, i.e. the very slight shift to the white lines then returning to the centre of their lane before they change lanes being a classic case in point.

This seems to be the case with people who are profoundly deaf. My wifes late uncle was profoundly deaf and only had one eye, but his observation was way better than most people with full hearing and eyesight.

It's definitely an psychological thing, the fact I'm aware of my disabilities make me more careful in day to day life, whereas people who have functioning organs probably just take them for granted, so they get a bit lazy and just assume they will definitely see any obstruction, because both their eyes are working perfectly.

sussex2 wrote:Insanity
When you eventually get a licence I've no doubt at all you will be a valuable member of the more educated driving community.

Isn't that just a polite way of telling me I'm already an old git? :lol: :mrgreen:
I do hope so too :)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Grahar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm

PeterE wrote:
Silk wrote:I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen over the last few days with all the windows down and the occupants gasping for air in aircon equipped cars. I mean, would these people consider leaving the fridge door open in order to keep the contents cool?

Maybe their aircon is broken?

michael769 wrote:Aircon dries the air out and this can be quite unpleasant for folks who wear some kinds of contact lens.

Most contact lens wearers seem cope with it.

I hope I never end up buying a used car from someone who has refused to use the aircon on principle...

I can confirm as a contact lens wearer that on long trips in a car with aircon it does accelerate drying them out. I wear ultra soft dailies with very high water content (the most costly you can buy) and even they begin to get dry by the end of the day without being exposed to aircon.
Grahar

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Aye, but he might then feel a bit out of place here. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am

As others have said, at lower speeds it allows me to feel the breeze, which is more pleasant than the dry air-conditioned air. It also allows more connection to the outside and easier interaction with other road users which can be helpful at low speeds. A smile or a thank-you is far less effective and friendly from behind glass; this contributes to a safer road environment.
Also my car's handbook says it is best to open windows to assist the air-con on particularly hot days, especially if the car has been sat in the sun. Perhaps Silk, you need to check your car handbook :) ?
Ancient

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

TripleS wrote:

Aye, but he might then feel a bit out of place here. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I hope you meant that in the way I'm taking it ;)
TheInsanity1234

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum