Aircon - what is it with people?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Insanity
You have perception beyond your years.
When you eventually get a licence I've no doubt at all you will be a valuable member of the more educated driving community.

Aye, but he might then feel a bit out of place here. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I hope you meant that in the way I'm taking it ;)

Let's assume I did. That's easiest for the simple mind; like mine. 8)
TripleS

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

Ancient wrote:As others have said, at lower speeds it allows me to feel the breeze, which is more pleasant than the dry air-conditioned air.

Not when it's pushing 30 degrees outside. The dry air thing is a bit overplayed. When you cool air, it's simple physics (or chemistry) that the air can't hold as much moisture. It's the same when it's frosty outside. As long as it's set correctly (climate control helps here - I'd never buy a car with manual aircon for this reason) you will get a mix of air in the cabin. I keep mine set at no lower than 20 degrees, and it keeps things cool without turning the interior into a fridge.
Ancient wrote:It also allows more connection to the outside and easier interaction with other road users which can be helpful at low speeds. A smile or a thank-you is far less effective and friendly from behind glass; this contributes to a safer road environment.

Really? I'd be interested in how you're giving courtesy signals if you require there to be no glass in between. What do you do when it's minus 10 outside?
Ancient wrote:Also my car's handbook says it is best to open windows to assist the air-con on particularly hot days, especially if the car has been sat in the sun.

If the car's been left out in the sun then, even if it's above 30 degrees outside, it could still be even hotter inside. In this case, then it's a good idea to allow the air inside to drop sufficiently by opening the windows. Common sense really. Once the equilibrium has been reached, then you can turn the aircon on and close the windows.
Ancient wrote:Perhaps Silk, you need to check your car handbook :) ?

What does yours say? Do you even have aircon?
Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 am

Grahar wrote:Using the fan on high speed to cool a car urban situations detracts from safety and reduces the driver's ability to concentrate.

As long as the aircon is set correctly, it's almost silent.

Grahar wrote:Ever noticed the wave of calm that descends when you switch the fan off from high speed when it has been necessary (to prevent misting up) whilst negotiating/pulling out at a busy junction when it is raining hard and visibility is poor?! :D

Does your car have aircon? Does it work? Have you read the manual?

I have mine on all year round and it's barely audible. Certainly a lot less so than a car without it trying, and usually failing, to achieve the same result using the fan alone.
Silk

Postby Ancient » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:As others have said, at lower speeds it allows me to feel the breeze, which is more pleasant than the dry air-conditioned air.

Not when it's pushing 30 degrees outside. The dry air thing is a bit overplayed. When you cool air, it's simple physics (or chemistry) that the air can't hold as much moisture. It's the same when it's frosty outside. As long as it's set correctly (climate control helps here - I'd never buy a car with manual aircon for this reason) you will get a mix of air in the cabin. I keep mine set at no lower than 20 degrees, and it keeps things cool without turning the interior into a fridge.
Personally I find it more comfortable to be adapted to the outside environment than to continually be in and out of an air-conditioned environment and re-adapting to the heat when outside. Driving in southern California I rarely used the air-con for exactly that reason. I disagree about 'the dry air thing' being overplayed, indeed I find it can be physically painful when cool dry air hits my eyes.
For the "simple physics (or chemistry)" see below.
I also dislike constant temperature settings; they are boring. Far better the variation of a natural environment.
Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:It also allows more connection to the outside and easier interaction with other road users which can be helpful at low speeds. A smile or a thank-you is far less effective and friendly from behind glass; this contributes to a safer road environment.

Really? I'd be interested in how you're giving courtesy signals if you require there to be no glass in between. What do you do when it's minus 10 outside?
At low speeds it is perfectly safe to give courtesy signals verbally. A "thank you" and a smile perhaps to s pedestrian who has moved to the side and got their dog under obvious control; an "I'll wait here" to a horse rider; even a wave out of the window at low speed sacrifces less control than changing gear :shock: . Of course these are non-standard :oops: , but a thinking driver 8) understands when they can be safely used.
At minus 10 I of course wear appropriate clothing for the conditions, and do not rely on the artifical in-car environment (a reliance which kills people in places where it is regularly minus 10 and colder).
Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:Also my car's handbook says it is best to open windows to assist the air-con on particularly hot days, especially if the car has been sat in the sun.

If the car's been left out in the sun then, even if it's above 30 degrees outside, it could still be even hotter inside. In this case, then it's a good idea to allow the air inside to drop sufficiently by opening the windows. Common sense really. Once the equilibrium has been reached, then you can turn the aircon on and close the windows.

Indeed and it is often not possible to leave a working car anywhere other than in the sun. For those whose motoring consists of driving out of and back to their dream garage, the story might be different; but in the real world air conditioning frequently needs the assistance of having open windows. Air flow also helps. "Once the equilibrium has been reached", you can (as you say) choose to use the air-con - or not; the choice being entirely that of the vehicle's occupants.
Silk wrote:
Ancient wrote:Perhaps Silk, you need to check your car handbook :) ?

What does yours say?
Mine says "It is recommended to open the windows or doors of a vehicle for which the interior has been strongly heated through the effect of direct sunlight in order to allow the heated air to escape"; of course it is poor grammer and punctuation but the message is clear: Aircon needs help by opening the windows.
It also says "If the cooling system is switched on, the temperature and air humidity drops in the vehicle" (my italics). Humidity is moisture held by the air, expressed percentage of the maximum moisture that can be held at a given temperature. Reducing the humidity therefore makes the air drier than it would otherwise be at that temperature. This is achieved by condensing the moiture out of the air before it is taken into the car and maintained at the required internal temperature, hence the condensation drips outside your vehicle.
Silk wrote:Do you even have aircon?

Oh! You cheeky monkey you :P !
Ancient

Postby gannet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:27 pm

whatever happened to personal choice... It's my car and all that, if I want the air con on with the windows down so what?

same argument to drivers of convertible cars in sunny weather with the roof up, they've paid the premium for the choice...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Grahar » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Silk wrote:
As long as the aircon is set correctly, it's almost silent.

You are correct, but there are times when it is necessary - mostly if the car has been sitting in the sun.

Silk wrote:Does your car have aircon? Does it work? Have you read the manual?

Yes, yes and yes! :roll: Certainly in the circumstances I describe (particularly if the car has been sitting around in the damp) a high fan speed is crucial initially to prevent further misting up. In a convertible with a cloth roof that accumulates damp, it is more the case. I have yet to drive a hardtop car that hasn't required a high fan speed to combat misting up when setting of in cold and/or damp weather.

Silk wrote:I have mine on all year round and it's barely audible. Certainly a lot less so than a car without it trying, and usually failing, to achieve the same result using the fan alone.

Have you never had to use the fan on high-speed whilst driving? Ever?!
Last edited by Grahar on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahar

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Basic aircon, not climate, use it or lose it.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

gannet wrote:whatever happened to personal choice... It's my car and all that, if I want the air con on with the windows down so what?

That's what I'm asking. What is it with you? :?:

gannet wrote:same argument to drivers of convertible cars in sunny weather with the roof up, they've paid the premium for the choice...

I don't get the point of convertibles. But I'll save that one for another day. :wink:
Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Grahar wrote:Have you never had to use the fan on high-speed whilst driving? Ever?!

It goes a bit wild for a minute or so if the car has been standing in the sun for any great length of time but, once it settles down, it's virtually inaudible. The CC takes care of everything - all I do is set the temperature and forget it. That's what most people do, if they have any sense.
Silk

Postby gannet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Silk wrote:
gannet wrote:whatever happened to personal choice... It's my car and all that, if I want the air con on with the windows down so what?

That's what I'm asking. What is it with you? :?:

nowt wrong with me, you seem to want to attack alternative ways of thinking though?

gannet wrote:same argument to drivers of convertible cars in sunny weather with the roof up, they've paid the premium for the choice...

Silk wrote:I don't get the point of convertibles. But I'll save that one for another day. :wink:

Please do ;)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm

[quote="Silk"}

I don't get the point of convertibles. But I'll save that one for another day. :wink:[/quote]

Oh dear, way back, my convertible had a lot of point. Hot summer, hood down, none of the current ways of enforcement and a blonde in the passenger seat, on the way to the beach.

Where's the fun gone?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Grahar » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Silk wrote:
Grahar wrote:Have you never had to use the fan on high-speed whilst driving? Ever?!

It goes a bit wild for a minute or so if the car has been standing in the sun for any great length of time but, once it settles down, it's virtually inaudible. The CC takes care of everything - all I do is set the temperature and forget it. That's what most people do, if they have any sense.

When I have ever said that I use the fan on high for prolonged periods of time/or unnecessarily? I was merely pointing out the effects a high fan speed can have on a driver. I find that I use it on high for about 3-8 minutes on average (in cold and/or damp weather) and if I use it for any longer it would be because I need to i.e. I have tried turning it down and found that condensation forms again.
Grahar

Postby Grahar » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Silk wrote:I don't get the point of convertibles. But I'll save that one for another day. :wink:

It's unspeakably obvious isn't it? They are enjoyable. Maybe not to you, but to other people they are. I would have thought that if you use just the slightest bit of imagination you could work out what sensory enjoyment you could get from a convertible.

For example, do you not enjoy the breeze on your skin on a summer's day?
Do you not enjoy hearing and smelling some of the countryside?
Would you not enjoy a bigger panorama of scenery whist you were driving?

This may not be possible all the time, but to some the small compromises are worth it.

Do you really think none of these things might be vaguely appealing to other drivers?

I accept that some people wouldn't take any or much pleasure from these things, but that's fine with me!
Grahar

Postby Silk » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Oh dear, way back, my convertible had a lot of point. Hot summer, hood down, none of the current ways of enforcement and a blonde in the passenger seat, on the way to the beach.

Where's the fun gone?

Each to their own. I'm sure having a sports car could help to make up for shortcomings in the looks department when attempting to attract members of the opposite (or even same) sex. Unless, of course, they'd prefer to travel in air-conditioned luxury.

Personally, due to having long hair, open top cars can present something of a problem. Once I get the wind in my hair, I have trouble getting it back out again. :wink:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Silk wrote:....due to having long hair, open top cars can present something of a problem. Once I get the wind in my hair, I have trouble getting it back out again. :wink:

My 'thatched roof' is no longer sufficiently extensive for that to be a problem. :cry:
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum