Driverless Cars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I know that a lot of my technological gadgets like to go a bit funny, and lag at times.

Makes me wonder what would happen if a car started to lag.

Now you get into questions about real time software (and hardware), and soft real time vs hard real time problems. If your sat nav started to lag, would it really be the end of the world? On the other hand a slow air-bag isn't very useful :lol:
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm

jont wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I know that a lot of my technological gadgets like to go a bit funny, and lag at times.

Now you get into questions about real time software (and hardware), and soft real time vs hard real time problems. If your sat nav started to lag, would it really be the end of the world? On the other hand a slow air-bag isn't very useful :lol:

My sat-nav lagging would be the end of the world if it was piloting my car and decided to make me turn left after I went past the turning I wanted :lol:

The lagging airbag reminds me of various comedies where there is a car accident, but the airbag hasn't gone off, and one of the drivers gets annoyed, and bashes his fist on the dashboard, and causes the airbag to go off.

Would that be good in the real world? :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby jont » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
jont wrote:

My sat-nav lagging would be the end of the world if it was piloting my car and decided to make me turn left after I went past the turning I wanted :lol:

Only if the earth was flat :P
jont

Postby martine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm

jont wrote:Only if the earth was flat :P

What? :shock: You mean it isn't? Since when?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Yeah, I'll go for humans.

They may be crap, but at least they're predictably crap

The problem is though, they're not predictable.

As for driverless cars :roll: Not for me.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby superplum » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 pm

Will there be an "advanced" model that could overtake should the opportunity arise?

:shock:
superplum

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:17 pm

superplum wrote:Will there be an "advanced" model that could overtake should the opportunity arise?

You won't need to as all cars will be making maximum progress at all times.
Silk

Postby gannet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Silk wrote:
superplum wrote:Will there be an "advanced" model that could overtake should the opportunity arise?

bet there will be a slow, medium and fast setting though...

default will be slow (to please brake) ;)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Grahar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:22 pm

gannet wrote:
Silk wrote:

bet there will be a slow, medium and fast setting though...

default will be slow (to please brake) ;)

If fact if you read Brake's 'manifesto' they would like to see us all avoiding car use at all costs.
Grahar

Postby waremark » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I have little doubt that at some point autonomous cars will become an important part of the transport infrastructure, and that the autonomous cars will drive more safely than the human alternative. It is much more difficult to work out how we are going to make the transition from here to there. I expect it will be slow enough for me to continue to enjoy my driving for as long as I am up to it.
waremark

Postby Grahar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:36 pm

waremark wrote:I have little doubt that at some point autonomous cars will become an important part of the transport infrastructure, and that the autonomous cars will drive more safely than the human alternative. It is much more difficult to work out how we are going to make the transition from here to there. I expect it will be slow enough for me to continue to enjoy my driving for as long as I am up to it.

For how much longer will non-autonomous cars be allowed I wonder? :shock:
Grahar

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:55 am

That would be programmed out of UK models as by and large the population are not familiar with the context.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby triquet » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 am

The driverless car will however need to be programmed with Asimov's three laws of robotics, and probably a "golden rule of advanced driving". Assuming that the programmers can agree on what it is .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:50 pm

fungus wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Yeah, I'll go for humans.

They may be crap, but at least they're predictably crap

The problem is though, they're not predictable.

As for driverless cars :roll: Not for me.

Nor me.

I shall certainly never own one, and I'm not sure that I would want to travel in one.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:59 pm

waremark wrote:I have little doubt that at some point autonomous cars will become an important part of the transport infrastructure, and that the autonomous cars will drive more safely than the human alternative. It is much more difficult to work out how we are going to make the transition from here to there. I expect it will be slow enough for me to continue to enjoy my driving for as long as I am up to it.

...and I hope you are right about that, and that you are able to enjoy the sort of motoring you want; but the storm clouds are gathering, alas. From the viewpoint of the driving enthusiast, that is quite clear.

The future, for some of us at least, is gardening (amongst other non-transport related activities) and growing our own food. If you've got a reasonable amount of space and aspire to that sort of thing, that could work quite well. I'm hoping it will for me.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum