The Open Road

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby triquet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Don't we all love a bit of open windy country NSL A road, preferably on a weekday afternoon when nobody is about?

And what do we actually get? A wet dark motorway, tiddling with rain, stop/go dense traffic ... trying to get across town avoiding the unlit cyclisti and the random buses ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby gannet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:08 pm

triquet wrote:Don't we all love a bit of open windy country NSL A road, preferably on a weekday afternoon when nobody is about?

And what do we actually get? A wet dark motorway, tiddling with rain, stop/go dense traffic ... trying to get across town avoiding the unlit cyclisti and the random buses ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

you don't have to use the motorways ;)

:D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jcochrane » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 pm

My usual thing is use the M25 to get round London and then stop in the first service area. Get out the iPhone, with TomTom on it, navigate to my destination using the option "windy roads, medium" Lovely. :D :D

TomTom on the iPhone is a must for all lovers of good driving roads. :wink:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby gannet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:52 pm

jcochrane wrote:My usual thing is use the M25 to get round London and then stop in the first service area. Get out the iPhone, with TomTom on it, navigate to my destination using the option "windy roads, medium" Lovely. :D :D

If only the Android version had the same option...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jcochrane » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

gannet wrote:
jcochrane wrote:My usual thing is use the M25 to get round London and then stop in the first service area. Get out the iPhone, with TomTom on it, navigate to my destination using the option "windy roads, medium" Lovely. :D :D

The windy roads option comes from the TomTom Rider. Created for the biker hence the option.
Get yourself an iPhone.
jcochrane

Postby Grahar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 pm

jcochrane wrote:
gannet wrote:

The windy roads option comes from the TomTom Rider. Created for the biker hence the option.
Get yourself an iPhone.

I'm off on holiday to Southern France and Lake Garda at the weekend to drive the N202 in Southern France, the Stelvio Pass and any other scenic windy routes I can find. I will be glad to escape the crowded roads in the South East of England!

I'll be relying on Tom Tom and prior Google maps research. I do yearn for the day when I can get online mobile internet abroad at a sensible cost so I can use Google maps in the car to find the best driving roads wherever I am.
Grahar

Postby TripleS » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 pm

On the other hand, if you live in North Yorkshire you don't need it. :P
TripleS

Postby jcochrane » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 pm

TripleS wrote:

On the other hand, if you live in North Yorkshire you don't need it. :P

So true. I've driven on some wonderful roads up there in a variety of cars. Scotland has some great roads but I particularly love North Yorkshire and Teesdale area. If only those roads could be transported to the South East I would be in heaven.
jcochrane

Postby Silk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 pm

triquet wrote:Don't we all love a bit of open windy country NSL A road, preferably on a weekday afternoon when nobody is about?

Should we only have to take pride in our driving on roads we like?

A good driver should be able to cope with any road in any conditions with equal ease.

Perhaps you could give some examples of how you dealt with the hazards you've described.
Silk

Postby triquet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:24 am

Silk wrote:
Should we only have to take pride in our driving on roads we like?

A good driver should be able to cope with any road in any conditions with equal ease.

Perhaps you could give some examples of how you dealt with the hazards you've described.

Patience. Try to avoid deadlines. Go with a clean windscreeen and headlights. Plenty of fuel on board and an empty bladder.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:44 pm

No need to gloat Dave.

Down here, around the Poole Bournemouth conurbation the roads are terrible, but head North of Wimborne Minster towards Cranborne, or up to Shaftesbury, and it's a different story. The C13 Shaftesbury to Blandford Forum is good, as is the A354 Blandfor Forum to Salisbury road, much better than the A31 and the A350 which are always busy. The A356 Dorchester to Crewkerne road isn't too bad either, apart from a couple of villages where there are 30mph limits.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:51 am

fungus wrote:No need to gloat Dave.

Down here, around the Poole Bournemouth conurbation the roads are terrible, but head North of Wimborne Minster towards Cranborne, or up to Shaftesbury, and it's a different story. The C13 Shaftesbury to Blandford Forum is good, as is the A354 Blandfor Forum to Salisbury road, much better than the A31 and the A350 which are always busy. The A356 Dorchester to Crewkerne road isn't too bad either, apart from a couple of villages where there are 30mph limits.

OK, sorry.

I imagine most of our counties have some extremely appealing roads for the enthusisast to enjoy, but North Yorkshire, being a rather large area, and fairly thinly populated, offers more than some of the others.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Grahar: don't know if this will help, but Google now allow downloading of maps for later use.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby PeterE » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Obviously you don't live in Derbyshire or East Cheshire :evil:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Silk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:00 pm

chriskay wrote:Triquet wasn't talking about pride in his driving, rather the pleasure to be obtained from a nice road.
:(

That depends on what you mean by a nice road. I like all kinds of roads, including those with heavy traffic - I enjoy the challenge. Just because some people don't like them, don't assume that means everyone.
Silk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum