M32 WTF?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Just noticed today. Now 40mph for the entire length of the elevated section (previously 60).

Some of us have been complaining for ages about the discrepancy between the 30 limit on Newfoundland Way and the 60 limit at the start of the M32.

What fool didn't get that we meant the non-motorway bit should should be raised?

This wouldn't have happened in Saddam Hussein's Iraq or Muammar Gaddfi's Libya, only in George Ferguson's Bristol. :twisted:
Silk

Postby MrToad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 pm

The Council don't have a say on the M32 itself - it's a Highways Agency issue: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Speed-limi ... story.html
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:27 am

Is there a special provision for HGVs on this section the photo shows a number of them in lane 3 :?:
exportmanuk

Postby martine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:10 am

exportmanuk wrote:Is there a special provision for HGVs on this section the photo shows a number of them in lane 3 :?:

Ha in typical local paper style the photo doesn't actually show the M32 which is 2 lanes each way for it's length. I've no idea why HGVs are in lane 3 though.

Let's hope the 40 limit IS only temporary as per article.

Silk: Finally, "I have in my hand a piece of paper..." that indicates the 30 limit at the start of the M32 outbound will finally be increased to 40 from the petrol station to the St. Paul's junction from March 2015. It's about 3 years since I first raised this with Bristol City Council. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:59 am

martine wrote:
exportmanuk wrote:Is there a special provision for HGVs on this section the photo shows a number of them in lane 3 :?:

Ha in typical local paper style the photo doesn't actually show the M32 which is 2 lanes each way for it's length. I've no idea why HGVs are in lane 3 though.

I never read any of the local rags, so missed this story. Only noticed on my way into Bristol yesterday morning.

martine wrote:Let's hope the 40 limit IS only temporary as per article.

What are the chances of this stretch losing its motorway status and coming under the control of Bristol City Council, I wonder?

martine wrote:Silk: Finally, "I have in my hand a piece of paper..." that indicates the 30 limit at the start of the M32 outbound will finally be increased to 40 from the petrol station to the St. Paul's junction from March 2015. It's about 3 years since I first raised this with Bristol City Council. :roll:

I'm aware that you've become involved with this. If what I think will happen happens, then I can see a continuous stretch of permanent 40 from the Garage to the end of the flyover, reducing to 30 over time. :(
Silk

Postby martine » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Silk wrote:If what I think will happen happens, then I can see a continuous stretch of permanent 40 from the Garage to the end of the flyover, reducing to 30 over time. :(

Yes for once, I think I agree with you... :evil:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:24 pm

What's up with you lot. These speed reductions are for your own safety. Remember, do what nanny wants, she'll keep you safe. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Silk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:39 pm

fungus wrote:What's up with you lot. These speed reductions are for your own safety. Remember, do what nanny wants, she'll keep you safe. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The aim is to get average speeds in the civilised world down to those of Dorset, which is currently around 25mph. :wink:
Last edited by Silk on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silk

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Silk wrote:
fungus wrote:What's up with you lot. These speed reductions are for your own safety. Remember, do what nanny wants, she'll keep you safe. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The aim is to get average journey times in the civilised world down to those of Dorset, which is currently around 25mph. :wink:

That would be nice. Checking my average recently, it was down to 17mph. Admittedly that was around Poole.

And less of Dorset not being civilised, we are perfectly civilised down here. Just off to fetch a pale of water from the well and light the candles, as it's getting too dark to see. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Never saw any enforcement of the 60 limit, and can't think where on the flyover section it would actually be feasible to position any.
jameslb101

Postby Silk » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:55 am

jameslb101 wrote:Never saw any enforcement of the 60 limit, and can't think where on the flyover section it would actually be feasible to position any.

They'll probably use SPECS. Pretty impossible to get traffic to stay anywhere near 40 otherwise.
Silk

Return to General Car Chat Forum