Satnavs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby skodatezzer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:09 pm

I've just finished a frustrating hour on the 'phone to the TomTom helpline, the upshot of which is that my Go Live 540 is banjaxed, and it's too old to be repaired. Should qualify that a bit - banjaxed as in will no longer be able too receive live services, but is actually at present working as regards where are we, route planning etc.
So, if I want my live services back, I'll need to buy a new one. But, I'm told that the latest TomToms won't let you you upload .itn files, so you can't load routes for ADUK driving days etc. Advice and wise counsel from the forum please. New TomTom for everyday and keep the old'un for driving days? Or what about a new Garmin, about which I know nothing? :roll:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby martine » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 pm

It's true...all recent (2 years...ish) tomtoms don't do itineraries - so as you suggested I keep my ageing tomtom for ADUK days but use my lovely but frustrating newer 'Live' one for everyday use.

There are loads of complaints on the tomtom forum but no sign of them relenting. It seems it's something to do with changing the underlying operating system to stop people hacking into it and as a result they left this important (for some) feature off either on purpose or by accident.

Can't speak for Garmin.

PS...a lot of new tomtoms come with free map updates for life - keep a lookout as some don't or are old stock.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi

Check out the tyre website I think certain of the present TT devices will support ITNs and traffic if you export from tyre to the tomtom.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/
exportmanuk

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Keeping the old TomTom for loading up routes and getting a nice new for everyday use is the way I went.

It is now possible though, thanks to firmware updates since I bought it, with my new TomTom GO6000 to plan and save routes directly on the device. A little bit more work but planning and saving routes on the device is very easy and if for any reason, like a road closure. you deviate from the saved route it is very simple to cut out waypoints. Far easier than any other device I've used.

Initially I did purchase a Garmen to replace the old TomTom but was not happy when I found that to get live traffic I had to link to an android phone, with extra data costs to pay on the phone whilst linked. No such problem with my GO6000, live traffic connection is built into the device and costs nothing. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby martine » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

Check out the tyre website I think certain of the present TT devices will support ITNs and traffic if you export from tyre to the tomtom.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Not my understanding...I think it will export the route as tomtom 'points of interest' and doesn't actually do the routing between them automatically - as you reach each one you have to manually select the next. That option is only available on the paid-for version on tyre and has caused a lot of consternation as it doesn't do what they claim.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby skodatezzer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

The God-daughter, who is about 2 centuries ahead of me in matters technological, suggests a combination of old TomTom and new smartphone with GPS app.?
skodatezzer

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 pm

skodatezzer wrote:The God-daughter, who is about 2 centuries ahead of me in matters technological, suggests a combination of old TomTom and new smartphone with GPS app.?

Something to be said for that. I do have the TomTom app on the iPhone and it is very good but I do like the GO6000 for its large 6inch screen.
jcochrane

Postby gannet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 pm

skodatezzer wrote:The God-daughter, who is about 2 centuries ahead of me in matters technological, suggests a combination of old TomTom and new smartphone with GPS app.?

this is what I do...

you'd need a smartphone though ;) Motorola Moto G is nice and not too expensive.

I have both copilot and TomTom on mine and go between them deciding which is best...

It IS possible with copilot to put the routes in but it's not straight forward and I always forget how to do it :oops:

so for ADUK days and the like I use my (probably older than your 540) TomTom One v1... and rely on the smartphone apps to get to and from them...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:00 pm

gannet wrote:you'd need a smartphone though ;) Motorola Moto G is nice and not too expensive.

I have both copilot and TomTom on mine and go between them deciding which is best...

How do these compare with Google Maps navigation? Could you use predefined routes with it?

Have you looked at things like Skobbler? Not sure if it can import routes though.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jameslb101 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm a bit of a convergence freak so use google maps on my iPhone 5 these days.

For custom routings (e.g. ADUK days) see here.

Also worth investing in a some Brodit Proclip hardware - I use the active mount (charges the phone when it's in the cradle) wired discreetly into a feed from the cigarette lighter.
jameslb101

Postby Silk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm

gannet wrote:

this is what I do...

you'd need a smartphone though ;) Motorola Moto G is nice and not too expensive.

It IS possible with copilot to put the routes in but it's not straight forward and I always forget how to do it :oops:

so for ADUK days and the like I use my (probably older than your 540) TomTom One v1... and rely on the smartphone apps to get to and from them...

I find CoPilot does the routes fine. You just have to work out where CoPilot stores its saved routes and copy yours into the same directory after first converting them using a utility such as ITN Convertor. It's not as hard as it sounds. It could still be a lot easier though.
Silk

Postby gannet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am

Gareth wrote:
gannet wrote:you'd need a smartphone though ;) Motorola Moto G is nice and not too expensive.

How do these compare with Google Maps navigation? Could you use predefined routes with it?

Have you looked at things like Skobbler? Not sure if it can import routes though.

Not looked at skobbler...

main advantage with TomTom and copilot over Google maps is the offline maps - yes I know you can tell google to downlaod beforehand - but that's the point beforehand or have a good (and plentiful) data connection/allowance.
-- Gannet.
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby gannet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 am

Silk wrote:
gannet wrote:

this is what I do...

I find CoPilot does the routes fine. You just have to work out where CoPilot stores its saved routes and copy yours into the same directory after first converting them using a utility such as ITN Convertor. It's not as hard as it sounds. It could still be a lot easier though.

that's what I always forget - where it stores them, it seemingly has two areas and it's never the first one I find... oh and remembering which version co-pilot to convert into in ITN Convertor...
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby skodatezzer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Was tending towards a GO6000 or 5000, until I receive an e-mail from the TomTom "service" team informing me that the £47.50 I paid for a year's live services, (which I can't use because my device is faulty, and in fact haven't received) is non refundable 'cos the purchase was of a download. In their generosity, they are offering me a 20% discount on another device, which would make it, in the case of a GO6000, only about £10 more expensive than buying the same item on Amazon. Wonder if I've got a case under the Sale of Goods Act. :twisted:
skodatezzer

Postby jcochrane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm

skodatezzer wrote:Was tending towards a GO6000 or 5000, until I receive an e-mail from the TomTom "service" team informing me that the £47.50 I paid for a year's live services, (which I can't use because my device is faulty, and in fact haven't received) is non refundable 'cos the purchase was of a download. In their generosity, they are offering me a 20% discount on another device, which would make it, in the case of a GO6000, only about £10 more expensive than buying the same item on Amazon. Wonder if I've got a case under the Sale of Goods Act. :twisted:

Have you asked them about transferring the service? It may be just a case of signing in with the new devise with the old account. I seem to remember this can be done but there must be a month wait between each transfer. To stop people paying for one subscription and switching between two or more devices every few days.

Because I have three TomTom devices if I include the iPhone they have been able to sort out which account I wanted on which device. Something they can do from their end. When I ran into problems a year or so back.
jcochrane

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum