Isle of Man?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 pm

It looks tempting as a place for driving but has anyone here 'had a go'? The mountain road (TT circuit) looks lovely and the lack of speed limits out of towns would be novel but what's the Isle of Man really like both as a place to drive and a place to stay?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 pm

martine wrote:It looks tempting as a place for driving but has anyone here 'had a go'? The mountain road (TT circuit) looks lovely and the lack of speed limits out of towns would be novel but what's the Isle of Man really like both as a place to drive and a place to stay?

SIDC used to have an annual trip over, for the reasons you state, don't know if they still do though.
Could be an idea for an ADUK holiday?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:13 am

I've not done the TT circuit - the only time I had transport while over there it was a rather dull Nissan Note, and there were 4 of us on a business trip. I've been many times on business, spent one or two weekends there as a result. As a whole, the island is quite a quiet place, not much to entertain apart from a few trams and miniature railways. Hotels are mainly a little tired (certainly in Douglas) and the whole island has a feel of being a couple of decades behind the mainland. At times this is charming, at others it's an irritation. The whole place is only 37 miles long so you will soon run out of roads to drive if that's all you're going for.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Angus » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:29 am

We've been over a couple of times - Anne has family over there.

The first time was during the Manx Grand Prix and we drove the TT course (in a 205 GTi :D )

There's a video on youtube of the first time the course was done in a road car at an average of 100mph (in a Rover 800 :lol: )

The rural roads are fun but there are often a large number of bikers over there. In my opinion it's not worth going just for the bits of road where the derestricted sign really does mean glf.
Angus

Postby martine » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:20 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
martine wrote:It looks tempting as a place for driving but has anyone here 'had a go'? The mountain road (TT circuit) looks lovely and the lack of speed limits out of towns would be novel but what's the Isle of Man really like both as a place to drive and a place to stay?

SIDC used to have an annual trip over, for the reasons you state, don't know if they still do though.
Could be an idea for an ADUK holiday?

Subaru International Drivers Club?

Yes I wonder if 'out of season' the ferries aren't are a more reasonable? Long weekend anyone?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:56 pm

martine wrote:Yes I wonder if 'out of season' the ferries aren't are a more reasonable? Long weekend anyone?

Thanks for volunteering. See you there!
jameslb101

Postby Carbon Based » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Heysham to Douglas return for about the price of a nice dinner out*.

*if you enjoy rather expensive restaurants.
Carbon Based

Postby Angus » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Liverpool to Douglas is usually [slightly] cheaper (and quicker)
Angus

Postby oxtondriver » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I went over last July for a long weekend for my brothers wedding.
I went for a drive round the TT circuit every morning at around 7am due to my 6 month old boy not sleeping very well in the hotel, so traffic was very light.
I found the roads challenging but lots of fun and good progress was made, however I didn't go as quickly as I could safely have due to having the little one on board.

One word of note watch out for the motorcyclist's they absolutely fly (no reason why they shouldn’t).
Travelling along the mountain section I was on a straight having just gone round a left hand bend and was looking to straight line the next bend as I had good vision to the front and had a good look in my mirrors and all was clear.
I was just starting to move over to the centre line and whoosh past comes a bike at god knows what speed.
It took me by surprise I can tell you. In all of my mirror checks there was no sign of any traffic catching from behind. The only thing I can assume is that due to his closing speed he was hidden by the bend I had just past when I checked my mirrors. It certainly made me think a bit more about my mirror work and about closing speeds of other vehicles.

But I would recommend it thoroughly I had a great time and would certainly go back.
oxtondriver

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:42 pm

I actually want to go to the IOM after I'm 17 and have my own car (and obviously have a full licence) because I want to visit the railways and have a nice jaunt around the TT circuit. (Would have to be in the off peak season, don't want any pesky motorcyclists getting in my way :lol:)
TheInsanity1234

Postby Rick101 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Been over twice on a bike and once in the car. Great place to visit, very scenic and some lovely roads to explore.

And of course The mountain if you fancy a blast. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpADZH ... XqnRr1J7bQ
Rick101

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:46 am

martine wrote:Yes I wonder if 'out of season' the ferries aren't are a more reasonable? Long weekend anyone?

They are, but the catermeran doesn't run in the winter, so the crossing is slower. Let me know if you decide to fix up a trip and I'll come and wave you off!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

martine wrote:Subaru International Drivers Club?

Nearly right, Subaru Impreza Drivers Club.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby MrToad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm

TT course isn't as long as you'd hope, but the bit over the mountain is pretty good. It was certainly hard to make myself stop for this picture:

Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby martine » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Awesome bit if kit there Mr. Toad!

(I mean the camera :wink: )
martine

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum