A wet question.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:03 pm

So, it was raining, and the parents and my sister took her boyfriend to Oxford to be dropped off, and on the way back, I noticed that my dad would drive slowly through puddles, and only if he absolutely had to, most of the time, he would shift to the centre of the road if there was no approaching traffic to avoid the puddles on the edge of the road.

This is not unusual for him, he has always been cautious about puddles.

What I did notice was that a lot of people around us, those in huge 4x4's and titchy little hatchbacks were a lot more relaxed about driving through puddles, and seemed to just blast through on the left, regardless.

I was just wondering what your views were on puddles, do you just go through them and make big splashes, or do you avoid them like the plague?

I should mention that the roads we were driving on were mostly countryside roads so no pedestrians were harmed by the other drivers :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Pedestrians aside, you prefer not to go through puddles at high speed for two main reasons:

1. You don't know what's in there. Could be a pothole or other debris.

2. It has a decelerating effect that normally only applies to one side of the car, and thus has a noticeable steering input. Usually if you're holding the steering wheel properly, this isn't something that's immensely difficult to deal with, but it's still significant

Then there's stuff like not wanting to immerse bits of car in dirty water, and whatever else, but those are probably the main reasons.

I will always avoid them if safe to do so.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby daz6215 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Remember dont use cruise during a downpour!
daz6215

Postby michael769 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Puddles can hide just about anything so you don't want to go through them if you can avoid it.

Just last year I encountered what looked like a shallow puddle across the road, but I also noticed a bit of stone at the side of the road which set off alarm bells, so I slowed to a crawl (even more than I normally would), this was lucky as my car gave quite a lurch when it hit a hidden crater. Just round the next bend were two cars both with shredded tires.

I'll only hit one if I have to, and even then if pedestrians are about I'll only do it slowly and as far from them as I can.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Intriguing.

Another question for all of you:

Would you succumb to the childish enjoyment of making a big splash when going through a puddle every now and then?

Or are you all far too mature and responsible to do such a thing? :lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:48 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Intriguing.

Would you succumb to the childish enjoyment of making a big splash when going through a puddle every now and then?

Only when passing a cyclist. :lol:
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Silk wrote:Only when passing a cyclist. :lol:

:shock:

:lol:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 pm

For the same reason you don't know what's under the water, there could be a pot hole which might be several inches deep.

I've been working on a safety briefing for off road trained emergency service drivers on driving through flood water. In heavy rain or due to damage you can lose drain grates and manhole covers into the sewer below, you could easily drop a wheel into one of those holes which would disable most road vehicles and 4x4s.
Standard Dave

Postby michael769 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am

Indeed - and if the water gets thrown over the engine and into the air intake you'll have more to worry about that a broken wheel.

Breaking something that can cost upwards of £20,000 is not my idea of fun.....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 am

Silk wrote:

You are Emma Way and I claim my £5.00.
onlinegenie

Postby Mike H » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:35 pm

To reiterate the point many above have made, my original (police) AD mentor always told me "every puddle hides a mine shaft".

It's always stayed with me and is why I still avoid puddles to this day.
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby fungus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:46 pm

I always avoid them if I can, or else I slow right down, for the same reasons given by others, but I notice many drivers just plough on regardless. :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 pm

fungus wrote:I always avoid them if I can, or else I slow right down, for the same reasons given by others, but I notice many drivers just plough on regardless. :roll:

I notice that more drivers around here in Berkshire just plough on through puddles than in Essex.

Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that people around here tend to be of the wealthy, but mechanically unsympathetic folk who are unsympathetic because they know they can afford to buy a replacement. Also, cars around here tend to be viewed as a tool to get from A to B, however, in Essex, I notice that people are much more protective of their cars, and I think it's because most cars in Essex tend to be status symbols (which may be why cars more than 3 years old are relatively uncommon in Essex, whereas there are plenty of 5+ year old Range Rovers around here) and also, most cars are often leased or company cars, where any damage can affect the lease or company car policy, whereas most cars around Berkshire seem to be owned outright so any damage isn't that important. (Hence why a few of these aforementioned Range Rovers have dents in their bumpers and scratches covering them :lol:)
TheInsanity1234

Postby 04smallmj » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Silk wrote:

I presume by "cyclist", you mean someone like this? http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... ol-011.jpg
04smallmj

Postby Nicola » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 pm

I avoid puddles because Bluebell gets very upset if her underneath gets wet :D
Seriously - same as everyone else - you don't know what's underneath. I drove into a snow filled puddle years ago (before I understood such things) and my tyre burst :shock:
Nicola

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum