Bavaria/Austria in October

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby FenlandFox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 pm

We’re going on a driving holiday in the last week of October, starting in Nuremburg but also heading over the Bavarian Alps into Austria. A couple of things if any of you have been…..

a) Any recommendations for good roads around Bavaria and the Austrian/Swiss border?

b) Should we take the winter tyres option? Annoyingly, if we went a week later they would be routinely fitted but for the week we are going we would have to pay a rather steep ‘winterization’ fee. We don’t want to be overly restricted, but at the same time it would be annoying to pay extra and not see a hint of snow! What can we expect? Snow free? Snow in the passes? Snow everywhere?!!!!

Thanks! :-)
FenlandFox

Postby 8 Ball » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 am

No need for expensive winterisation is you are not going out there regularly. For October you will be OK on summer tyres. Even if there is snow the authorities are efficient and will have it cleared pretty quickly. I always take Snowsocks just in case. They are quick and easy to fit and can get you out of an untreated car park or up a short incline onto tarmac. I've been caught out with snowfall even in June.

As regards roads you don't say if you want a scenic drive to your destination, or use the autobahn and then go for a sporty drive when you get there. If the former I can recommend the road 11 south of Munich which parallels the A93. Then to Garmisch and into Austria via the Fern Pass. If the latter there are several interesting routes I have done. West of Innsbruck head south for Solden and over the Timmeljoch Pass (toll) into Italy, across to Vipiteno and back via the Brenner Autobahn. A shorter round trip in the same area is to take the minor mountain road from Oetz via Kuhtai and back to Innsbruck. Further west from St Anton am Arlberg there is a pleasant mountain loop over the Arlberg Pass (not the tunnel) west towards Bludenz and back on the 188 via Schruns, Gaschurn, Galtur and Ischgl. The ultimate is the Stelvio Pass. South from J144 of the A12 near Landeck into Italy on the S40 and S41 to Santa Maria, over the pass and back via the S40. I have heard it said that the Stelvio is better than one of mankinds favourite pleasures, and it lasts longer too.

I cannot offer any suggestions for Switzerland, I have not driven there for years. I don't mind paying for a 10 day Motorway Vignette in Austria, but I'm too tight to buy an annual Motorway pass for Switzerland for only a couple of days use.

You may already be aware but Nuremberg and Munich have clean air zone, and you need an Umwelt Plackette (Environmental Disc) to drive in the city centres. If you Google it beware of the rip-off sites that charge up to 30 Euros for this. I got mine from a Berlin site for about 5 Euros. You can if you've got plenty of time buy them out there from a TUV station.

Enjoy your trip
8 Ball

Postby FenlandFox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for your reply and driving route suggestions. Plans are definitely in progress... :-)
FenlandFox

Postby MiniCooperJ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:08 pm

I don't think you'll have an issue with snow at that time but like someone else said, if there is snow it will be dealt with pretty efficiently, as with everything in Germany. But it's quite early for snow.
Will you miss Oktoberfest? That's definitely an experience, in fact Munich itself is a lovely place to visit if you get a chance.
MiniCooperJ

Return to General Car Chat Forum