Hard Hitting Video Launched

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Zebedee » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:22 am

I should think the police accident investigators are well aware of the impact of trauma on people's recall. Surely this sort of this is covered when an officer's trained in accident investigation?

Also, the driver pleaded guilty in this case.
Zebedee

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 pm

fungus wrote: The road was straight on approach to the junction, and the car driver should have seen the bike coming. Misjudging its' speed I would imagine is quite probable if it's travelling at near on the ton.

Similar . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Zebedee wrote:I should think the police accident investigators are well aware of the impact of trauma on people's recall. Surely this sort of this is covered when an officer's trained in accident investigation?

Also, the driver pleaded guilty in this case.

I have no idea what they're trained in or not but a guilty plea doesn't necessarily denote guilt and from what i've read about this case, it has been taken to mean that the driver doesn't recall seeing either the bike or the car coming towards them, which in turn doesn't necessarily mean they didn't see them but that they don't recall seeing them. That's what i'm curious about.

I just wonder how the drivers recall was tested to the point of certainty, even when a guilty plea was entered. How could they not have seen either the oncoming car, the bike or both from the position they were in? It's how they interpreted that information that matters and why they can't recall it.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:15 pm

The bike didn't look like it was doing anywhere near 100mph in the video, to me, at the point of collision. No doubt it's probably possible to work it out somehow, I don't know how. Just a feeling.

The car driver didn't look properly, he didn't even hesitate as he entered the protected right-turn lane.

The biker didn't take any precaution against numpty car drivers - losing speed, changing course, signalling ...

Numptiness on both sides. James, I hope you don't ever miss seeing a bike and live to reproach yourself...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:58 pm

I'll take that back. I'm being an idiot. You can actually see the speedo in the film - can't read the numbers but the cops could have. His speed didn't vary one jot as he approached the junction. You can see his throttle hand flex just before impact, almost looks like a gear change, but not borne out by the instruments or the sound.

In my defence I'd only watched it on my phone before now :oops:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum