Confiscated Cars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TimmiAndi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:37 pm

I watched a police patrol programme last night where uninsured cars were confiscated as drivers didn't have insurance. The power's been available to police for about 8 years and I wondered how many have been impounded in that time but I can't find any figures - the DoT site doesn't have any, nor ONS.

Are the figs available?
TimmiAndi

Postby martine » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Haven't got a clue and it's quite possible the figures aren't collated nationally. Why do you ask?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Nigel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:04 pm

The cars are then returned after paying recovery and storage costs, assuming the cars worth the cost then if not it's scrapped, do not think the figures are kept as they serve no purpose
Nigel

Postby TimmiAndi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm a member of a district council and quickly found the govt collects figures on just about everything. I suppose the only way is to contact all police forces individually which is far too much hassle for idle curiosity.
TimmiAndi

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:23 pm

TimmiAndi wrote:I'm a member of a district council and quickly found the govt collects figures on just about everything. I suppose the only way is to contact all police forces individually which is far too much hassle for idle curiosity.

You raise an interesting point, in that Government is, usually, quick to release figures that would support its "fight against crime" and the figures you ask about would, I have thought, be relevant.
A suggestion to you, contact a local journalist, either print or, preferably BBC and, with a credible reason for your concern, ask them to investigate. "The BBC can reveal that..."
That assuming no compromising of your position of course.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby michael769 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:54 am

More than 1,100,000 siezed since 2005, more than 140,000 a year:

http://stayinsured.askmid.com/seized-infographic.html

A quick Google search revealed news reporting the 1,000,000 milestone during August 2012.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:07 pm

The vehicle has to be insured prior to return as well to a driver with a current valid driving licence.

Removal is not an alternative to prosecution so each driver stopped will be issued with a 6 point £200 ticket for no insurance or reported for summons to court for driving without insurance.

I know that forces collate figures so I assume they can be aquired under freedom of information if they aren't routinely published by some forces.
Standard Dave

Return to General Car Chat Forum