French Overtaking

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 am

Hi everybody.

Just returned from a holiday in France. I noticed that French drivers have a tendency to overtake those who keep to a legal speed a few feet before an "end of town" sign that signals an increased speed limit. I dread to think what the consequences would be if the law-abiding driver decided to accelerate without checking the mirror as he reached the sign. I can't help feeling it takes a special kind of stupidity to overtake someone who is just about to enter a stretch of road with a higher speed limit. I think I'm right in saying it's only ever been done to me once in this country - by a police car.
onlinegenie

Postby martine » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:05 am

Oh it's happened to me in the UK many times.

Any other observations about driving in France - I'm driving down to Bordeaux next month.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby michael769 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am

martine wrote:Oh it's happened to me in the UK many times.

And me. It's a risk that is specifically mentioned in Roadcraft if I recall.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby triquet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am

French people drive very fast at 1210 as they go home for lunch and even faster at 1355 going back from lunch.

French people signal completely randomly at roundabouts and dribble round the outside even if going right round.

It is harvest time and on back roads you will meet agricultural vehicles. Driving on back roads in a RHD car, your limit point is a bit close on RH bends as you are driving in the gutter.

Fill up at supermarkets. They are considerably cheaper, particularly if you have a diesel wagon. Service areas on motorways are few and far between.
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby gannet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:18 am

had it happen to me many times here also...

erm, I've also done it myself - but only if I have prior knowledge of how that car has behaved in that situation previously. ie, I'm confident that they aren't on the ball and going to give it the beans at the sign. I of course wait for the end of town sign and not before though...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Ancient » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 am

It's the 'not waiting until the NSL' (or other increase) sign that's irritating though, especially when (as so often) the overtaker in unable to drive progressively through upcoming bends or even hit a change slope without significantly dropping speed.
Ho-hum, swings and roundabouts: If there is shortly another village the 30 sign in that will be ignored by the overtaker and they'll be long gone by the next NSL.
Ancient

Postby Mike H » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Absolutely as above.

Happened to me (again) earlier this week. What really gets to me though is the fact that they will then often be travelling at 50 in the NSL. I'll execute an overtake and be long gone, only for a repeat performance in the next village. :roll:
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby trashbat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Particularly in the French context, what makes you think that the sign has anything to do with it? i.e. that they wouldn't have overtaken you at the higher limit anyway.

Being overtaken when travelling at the speed limit on B roads is rare in this country. It's not in France, IME.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:16 pm

trashbat wrote:Particularly in the French context, what makes you think that the sign has anything to do with it? i.e. that they wouldn't have overtaken you at the higher limit anyway.

I'm sure they would, trashbat, but I'm referring to several occasions where drivers stayed right behind me through a town then overtook a few feet before the higher speed limit sign.

Interesting to see that it's happened to other members in this country. I wonder if it's a regional thing?
onlinegenie

Postby fungus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Happens a lot here, and it's made worse because there's often a queue built up behind you if you keep to 40.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.78318 ... z7Barg!2e0
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Reason to be overtaken in France:

Lunchtime.
driving infront of anyone.
blind bends.
Lack of care for you or anybody else.
Lack of appreciation for foreign drivers.
Being a Parisian on holiday.
Needing to stop or turn off shortly after overtaking someone.

It's often not personal, just cultural. France is a big and beautiful place, so try taking the backwaters occasionally.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Return to General Car Chat Forum