ROSPA Diploma

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby tonyjarman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi everyone.
I am due to take my ROSPA Diploma in a few weeks. I was just wondering if anyone has taken it recently, I haven't a clue what to expect. Any advice welcome.
tonyjarman

Postby sussex2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 am

The date on my diploma is in roman numerals and it is set in a wax tablet :D so you will understand it wasn't recent.
However If I can help in any way please ask.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Ralge » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 pm

The basics (assuming the course hasn't changed in 7 (VII ?) years:
- 5-day course
- days 1-4 mostly on road, 2 trainees to 1 trainer
- day 5 = test day

On-road, get driving, assessing, training and developing to Gold standard absolutely nailed on.
- take turns to drive (normally a hire car), to sit and assess/develop your trainer (in various role plays) and fellow trainee (from memory, playing him/herself), give feedback ... The best of trainers excel at role play and throw in both obvious, blatant and very subtle "faults".
Test day involves:
- giving a presentation on a topic from a number of topics given to you. (E.g. Cornering, joining a motorway - ALL must reference IPSGA, naturally.
- a theory test (it isn't all multiple choice in that it demands free-typed, structured answers so you have to know HC AND RC - skim reading them won't work!)
- vehicle check talk-through and a drive to Gold standard with the examiner looking on, trainer in the back just observing.
- two role play drives by the trainer (who has not worked with you all week): one typically as a sales rep, say, and the other as someone who is close to taking a Gold test (examiner sits in the back).
Tough? Hopefully, yes but I learned an awful lot in that week and, as I have written before, I really "got" Advanced driving as a result of it.
Good luck.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm

You didn't say - bike or car Dip?
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Return to General Car Chat Forum