Dave's diversions.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

OK, a couple of days ago I mentioned my intention to create some form of diversion from the ill-tempered contributions and rattiness that have afflicted one or two topics recently, so here it is.

It has nothing to do with driving or cars, and it will not interest everybody, but I find it enjoyable. Maybe you will too.

It is reassuring that in this day and age there are still young people coming along with natural talent and a willingness to put in the huge amount of effort required to produce this happy performance for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKWHMKvyAk

Anyhow, unless I'm advised that this is unwelcome, there will be more to follow, at reasonable intervals.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Great virtuosity, but not much soul.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby skodatezzer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Maybe a wee bit severe, Mr C-W. It's a young work (mind you, all of Mendelssohn's output could be so labelled, as he didn't live very long), and as such is more concerned with the fireworks than any profound examination of the human condition, such as you might find, say in Brahm's second concerto in B flat. I will grant you, however, that that is the fastest performance I've ever heard! Started to lose a bit of detail in the first movement, but actually liked the second slightly brisker than I'm used to - it can become mawkish if overdone - and the finale was tremendous fun, as it should be!

Now, let's have a row about whether or not we should religiously observe all NSL's :twisted: :twisted:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby trashbat » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:04 pm

It's alright I guess, but I like my performances to be centred about Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Ah, that's much better.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:37 am

trashbat wrote:It's alright I guess, but I like my performances to be centred about Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Ah, that's much better.

Umm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :shock: right......................

Nope, think I'll stick to good ol' Mendelssohn
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:19 am

Now that we've had a bit of response, I would like to explain a thing or two.

My purpose in starting this thread, which I did somewhat apprehensively, fearing that it might be unwelcome to ADUK, was merely to introduce a little pleasant diversion, and I was particularly moved to do this with the aim of lightening the tone following some recent, but fortunately shortlived, acrimony.

I was therefore hoping that my musical offerings would simply be received, and hopefully enjoyed; or at worst ignored completely by those to whom they are of no interest. What I really didn't want to find was that I had introduced another topic that would provide a basis for argument.

My own position is that I have been enjoying a fairly wide range of music from childhood, though I have no musical skills myself, nor do I feel qualified to judge the music, either in terms of what the composer created, or the quality of the performances. I simply decide for myself what pleases me and what doesn't, and I don't feel equipped to do more than that.

Obviously we have a massive choice of music available to us from existing recordings, but I think we should be thankful that young people like Yuja, and many others, are willing and able to put in the effort that enables them to bring the music to life for us. To me at least, they are a very valuable antidote to the frustrations of the modern world.

Anyhow, many thanks for the comments so far.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Sorry, Dave, but if you introduce a topic in a kind of "listen to this, you'll enjoy it" way, I don't think it's all that surprising if some people say "actually, Dave, I didn't enjoy it much". There's no personal animosity in this, just a contrasting opinion. Personally I got bored with both yours and Rob's videos in less than 2 minutes each. That doesn't mean each doesn't have artistic merit, simply that I didn't enjoy them. I've never been a fan of enduring stuff I don't particularly enjoy, just for my edification. I'd rather go and find something I do...

Keep posting, no doubt we'll agree we both enjoy the same thing sooner or later.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote: . Personally I got bored with both yours and Rob's videos in less than 2 minutes each. That doesn't mean each doesn't have artistic merit

Here you go, then, almost exactly two minutes:

[Foal was one of the massive chorus :) ]
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby revian » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:09 pm

It's fine Dave... I have eclectic tastes.. or does that make me faddy?

My preferences are fairly mood-driven... something good one day might not fit the next day.

It's nearly Christmas... so I offer one of our Youth Groups offerings... not too serious :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjYZI2Bvbg#t=208

You'll be snowed in soon anyway....
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Sorry, Dave, but if you introduce a topic in a kind of "listen to this, you'll enjoy it" way, I don't think it's all that surprising if some people say "actually, Dave, I didn't enjoy it much". There's no personal animosity in this, just a contrasting opinion. Personally I got bored with both yours and Rob's videos in less than 2 minutes each. That doesn't mean each doesn't have artistic merit, simply that I didn't enjoy them. I've never been a fan of enduring stuff I don't particularly enjoy, just for my edification. I'd rather go and find something I do...

Keep posting, no doubt we'll agree we both enjoy the same thing sooner or later.

Hiya, Nick, and thanks for your reply.

I didn't mean to introduce this by insisting that you "listen to this, you'll enjoy it"; it was more a case of "here's something that I enjoy, and I hope you will too", but if you don't like it I hope it will not be dismissed as worthless.

As for Yuja, well I've now seen/heard a few of her performances, and I like most of them, but there's one or two that I've found disappointing. Anyhow, I think I'm in love again. 8)

Oh, by the way, Eileen knows all about Yuja and me, and there's no problem: she seems to have concluded that it's just me going through an odd phase, and the relationship isn't going to go anywhere. :lol:
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm

skodatezzer wrote:Maybe a wee bit severe, Mr C-W. It's a young work (mind you, all of Mendelssohn's output could be so labelled, as he didn't live very long), and as such is more concerned with the fireworks than any profound examination of the human condition, such as you might find, say in Brahm's second concerto in B flat. I will grant you, however, that that is the fastest performance I've ever heard! Started to lose a bit of detail in the first movement, but actually liked the second slightly brisker than I'm used to - it can become mawkish if overdone - and the finale was tremendous fun, as it should be!

Now, let's have a row about whether or not we should religiously observe all NSL's :twisted: :twisted:

You're getting no row from me on that: we shouldn't! 8)

As for the music: that's the only performance I've ever heard. In fact I wasn't aware that Mendelssohn had written any piano concertos until about a month ago, nor had I heard of YW until a few weeks ago.

As seems customary (I think) the middle movement is slow and gentle, which is fine, but what I really like in this case is the liveliness and optimism elsewhere, especially in the third movement.

At any rate, I hope we can conclude that most of the right noted were played, and in more or less the right order. :lol:
TripleS

Postby MGF » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:21 pm

TripleS wrote:...if you don't like it I hope it will not be dismissed as worthless.

As is often the case with speed limits. :)
MGF

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 pm

It's Art, we each respond in our own way to all the Arts.
Here's one from me, a performance that moves me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROruo8G7Yo

Even better performance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3S4XckG5LQ

Further edit, I could reference many performances across all music genres that move me.
However, it's just my response. Art criticism is only that, one person's response.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Wow.

Am I the only one here who would much rather listen to something such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Wow.

Am I the only one here who would much rather listen to something such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Do we have to choose? 'Queen' already posted.. Sort of... 8)
Wirral
revian

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum