Was I in the wrong?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Gareth wrote:I would say it is clear you made an error of judgement,

Did I say anything, anywhere, that implied that I thought I didn't make a mistake?

I took the thread title to mean you were asking. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby akirk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Did I say anything, anywhere, that implied that I thought I didn't make a mistake? Because if I did, then I do apologise, but that wasn't intended, as I do think I made a mistake.

I read it that your parents thought it was fine, but you weren't sure - a good attitude to question it...

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The delay, however, was unnecessarily long. It was like 6 seconds, and the distance between lights was maybe 30 metres, which leads me to wonder if perhaps they'd put in an extra long delay for the purpose of allowing traffic to join, because I'd waited for quite a while before going.

I think there was an assumption here, I suspect that you will never make that mistake again! :)

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Indeed, and I'm not sure why I took any other course of action, but there we go.
I'm lucky that I was able to recover from it, rather than ending up in a lump of metal in a hospital.

I suspect that at the speeds concerned you may have been fine, but it wouldn't have been happy!

have a read of this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... art-01.pdf
and become an expert on road works and traffic lights!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:28 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Gareth wrote:Could see, or could infer?
Likewise. Sometimes you can see the reflected glow of the red traffic lights, other times not.

I saw the reflection of a red glow off the traffic cones in front of the lights that weren't being washed out by the headlights of the cars waiting.

Bingo! :lol:

I've sometimes suggested that when sitting stationary at a traffic holdup, headlights ought to be switched off, so that those facing them (especially if on the move), are not distracted by unnecessary glare, but I seldom get any support for the idea. :(
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 pm

TripleS wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Gareth wrote:Could see, or could infer?
Likewise. Sometimes you can see the reflected glow of the red traffic lights, other times not.

I saw the reflection of a red glow off the traffic cones in front of the lights that weren't being washed out by the headlights of the cars waiting.

Bingo! :lol:

I've sometimes suggested that when sitting stationary at a traffic holdup, headlights ought to be switched off, so that those facing them (especially if on the move), are not distracted by unnecessary glare, but I seldom get any support for the idea. :(

I'd be quite happy to do that, unless I had Xenons, then I wouldn't subject them to that kind of strain.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Ancient » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 am

TripleS wrote:I've sometimes suggested that when sitting stationary at a traffic holdup, headlights ought to be switched off, so that those facing them (especially if on the move), are not distracted by unnecessary glare, but I seldom get any support for the idea. :(

Agreed, also when pulling into a passing place on a single lane road to alow oncoming to proceed it is polite and safer to switch down to sidelights (once you are certain you have been seen :wink: ).
Ancient

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
TripleS wrote:I've sometimes suggested that when sitting stationary at a traffic holdup, headlights ought to be switched off, so that those facing them (especially if on the move), are not distracted by unnecessary glare, but I seldom get any support for the idea. :(

I'd be quite happy to do that, unless I had Xenons, then I wouldn't subject them to that kind of strain.

Likewise; with normal headlights I'll do this but I'm loathe to turn off xenon headlamps unless I know they'll stay off for at least a couple of minutes. My alternative approach is to try to position the car such that the dipped beam is pointed more to the left than usual.
Gareth

Postby akirk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01 pm

do dipped beams really affect people that much? with the intensity of full beam which is rarely dipped in time, dipped beam seems by comparison to be a gentle soft glow :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 pm

maybe I am lucky that it doesn't seem to affect me with dipped lights - can't say I have ever seen anyone turn them down to sidelights - interesting
akirk

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 am

akirk wrote:do dipped beams really affect people that much?

It's much more noticeable if a car is stopped on the wrong side of the road, and can also be significant if stopped just before a crest.

At certain times dipped beams can hide less bright road users such as cyclists or walkers, just as sometimes a car travelling on sidelights can be made much less obvious by a car following on dipped beam.
Gareth

Postby Ancient » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:17 am

mefoster wrote:
akirk wrote:do dipped beams really affect people that much? with the intensity of full beam which is rarely dipped in time, dipped beam seems by comparison to be a gentle soft glow :)

The point is the contrast between the light and the impenetrable pool of darkness beyond.

This.
It is simply the way human eyes work and why 'more light' is not the same as 'able to see more'. With a car approaching (or stopped) on a narrow road, the light from its dipped beams will exceed the light originating from my headlights and reflected from dull objects (such as pedestrians or the back door of the stopped car) and so hide them. The only choices are to put more light out there (light wars) dazzling the other driver or to slow right down and creep past.

A couple of months ago the dipped beams of an oncoming bus on a Welsh A road completely obscured a pedestrian standing in the road despite her "hi-viz" jacket. Had I assumed it was clear I would have driven straight over her (instead I was able to give her a lift into town).
Ancient

Postby akirk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 pm

okay - but if you are talking about an oncoming bus - surely you are not turning your lights onto sidelights for every oncoming vehicle? that is already the difference between full beam and dipped... - on that theory you should be turning your lights off! to maximise visibility - not sure that is logical :)

will have to check this out - can't see any issue around these country lanes driving with dipped headlights - I can see rabbits / foxes / deer / cyclists / etc.

mmm not convinced yet that I need to be turning my headlights off while driving in the dark - sounds dangerous

Alasdair
akirk

Postby triquet » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:21 pm

A few years ago I was working in Egypt, and the locals preferred driving without lights at night as"they didn't like being dazzled (Insh'allah)" :shock:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Ancient » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

akirk wrote:okay - but if you are talking about an oncoming bus - surely you are not turning your lights onto sidelights for every oncoming vehicle? that is already the difference between full beam and dipped... - on that theory you should be turning your lights off! to maximise visibility - not sure that is logical :)

will have to check this out - can't see any issue around these country lanes driving with dipped headlights - I can see rabbits / foxes / deer / cyclists / etc.

mmm not convinced yet that I need to be turning my headlights off while driving in the dark - sounds dangerous

Alasdair

No, that was simply an illustration of how dipped can cause dark areas hiding important information (and people :D ). As I said, I'll turn down to sidelights wherever I am stopped to let someone else pass in the other direction (once I am confident that they have seen me), (also in well-lit restricted roads when in streams of moving traffic but that's another discussion (which I think we've already had)).

From my observation I use full beam more than most drivers nowadays too. I am frankly shocked at the number of drivers who will happily drive at NSL on dipped beam - it simply doesn't cast far enough ahead to see the road is clear. Obviously with oncoming in the path of main, dip is required but then their beam is lighting the road ahead as well. On duals main usefully lights the edge of the road on RH bends but is not used by most. I vary my lighting according to circumstance whilst most just switch on the lights and drive in the apparent assumption that everything will get out of their way.
Ancient

Postby akirk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:59 pm

thank you - interesting, will def. have to experiment - and agree lots around here with too much light permanently on!

bit of a hassle on mine though as it lives on auto-lights, so will have to play with options...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Ancient » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Yep, mine has auto-light option too; I tried this when I first got it but couldn't ever be sure what it had 'automatically' chosen to do was what I needed in the circumstances. Now I choose the options I want (auto is between side and headlight positions and simply gets switched through). I get the impression too that many think their DRLs are automatic when they are not, leading to so many driving on DRLs and no rear lights in poor visibility (and even after dark).
Ancient

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum