Another excuse not to pay out....

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 pm

A Minister of Religion has had her car insurance voided because of stickers:

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... story.html

When I first heard this I though it was because they obstructed her view.....

We'd better start declaring our IAM badges.....
Angus

Postby akirk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm

can't imagine that a decent lawyer would have any trouble winning such a case against an insurance company... if needed

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Well, I am all for freedom of speech and having the right to share your opinions and that, but this does make me chuckle :lol:

Fervently Christian vicar broke a rule or two ;)
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Though this 'christian vicar' (sic!) wouldn't put things on his car like that.. (Not a disagreement about what was said just the way of saying it) I couldn't believe that the insurance company counted this as a modification!

Yup hide your IAM badge... National Trust sticker... Car parking pass... :roll:

Totally bonkers... Idiocy or economy drive?

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby Angus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:12 pm

There was another "dodge" in the news recently

A driver blacked out at the wheel (for the first time) and hit another car head on. The driver's insurers (Co-op)refused to pay out because as he had never blacked out before he wasn't negligent and therefore the Co-op weren't liable.
Angus

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:25 pm

akirk wrote:can't imagine that a decent lawyer would have any trouble winning such a case against an insurance company...

Not when you've got God on your side! :D
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby MGF » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:15 am

Angus wrote:There was another "dodge" in the news recently

A driver blacked out at the wheel (for the first time) and hit another car head on. The driver's insurers (Co-op)refused to pay out because as he had never blacked out before he wasn't negligent and therefore the Co-op weren't liable.

To the third party or the insured? No liability to the third party without fault. Shouldn't make any difference to the insured.
MGF

Postby Angus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 pm

MGF wrote:
Angus wrote:There was another "dodge" in the news recently

To the third party or the insured? No liability to the third party without fault. Shouldn't make any difference to the insured.

To the third party, whose car was written off (her insurers paid, less the excess) and was unable to work for some months
Angus

Postby michael769 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Angus wrote:
To the third party, whose car was written off (her insurers paid, less the excess) and was unable to work for some months

Then the refusal was quite correct. Third party cover only ever pays out when the insured driver is negligent.

As for the first example - according to the article linked in the OP her policy was not voided. The insurers appear to have accepted that it had not been made adequately clear to the insured that stickers should have been declared, and the policy was continued.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby onlinegenie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 am

Calling this a modification is ridiculous. The only possible justification I can think of for voiding her policy is all the religious hatred about at the moment - her car might be a target for vandalism by extremist non-Christian groups (avoiding naming any such groups - I'm not a UKIP supporter!).
onlinegenie

Postby trashbat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:34 am

It's not ridiculous.

In a particular light, it's going to an insurer and saying, 'hello, here I am, a quiet churchgoing individual with a plain and boring car', when actually what you should have said was, 'hello, here I am, in my obvious, signwritten car that says PRAISE BE TO THE LORDY LORD all over it'.

Something of a different risk profile, and it doesn't require any kind of extremist groups either. Unless, say, misbehaving teenagers count as one.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

trashbat wrote:It's not ridiculous.

In a particular light, it's going to an insurer and saying, 'hello, here I am, a quiet churchgoing individual with a plain and boring car', when actually what you should have said was, 'hello, here I am, in my obvious, signwritten car that says PRAISE BE TO THE LORDY LORD all over it'.

Something of a different risk profile, and it doesn't require any kind of extremist groups either. Unless, say, misbehaving teenagers count as one.

Really.....? How do a few innocent (non-motoring related) words stuck on a car significantly change the risk profile of the driver? Bear in mind the claim doesn't relate to vandalism or driver behaviour, just the theft of what I guess was her CAT.
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby trashbat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:57 am

The claim isn't necessarily relevant if they wouldn't have insured her in the first place. Also, the risk profile concerns more than her driving or indeed any active behaviour on her part.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby Gareth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am

Andy wrote:How do a few innocent (non-motoring related) words stuck on a car significantly change the risk profile of the driver?

The non-motoring words displayed in large format make the car stand out, so while the risk profile of the driver isn't altered the risk profile of the car is.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Andy wrote: Really.....? How do a few innocent (non-motoring related) words stuck on a car significantly change the risk profile of the driver?

I don't know.

But I do know that I'm extra wary of cars displaying 'CND' stickers, or those little curved 'fish' emblems.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum