Fiat Panda

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 am

fungus wrote:Lack of funds has always been a problem for teenagers, even back in the late sixties when I bought my first vehicle, an A35 van that was only six years old, but was a complete banger that would break down fairly frequently, and would take virtually every penny I earned to keep it on the road, and that was using parts from a scrap yard, and doing the repairs myself, which admittedly was much easier in those days.

Things haven't altered, one of my pupils told me that a years insurance on his 1L Citroen Saxo was £5K. :shock: :shock: :shock:

There is also more for you to spend your money on today. As you said, you had to pay off your phone, and it seems that some of these things are expensive. Being technophobic, I only use the most basic, cheapest phone I can find on pay as you go.

The most annoying thing is, that was only £300ish! The other half was spent on new glasses and sunglasses! Why, oh, why does prescription stuff have to cost so much -.-
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:56 am

Bit late now but getting a prescription and a look at frames (quietly jot down codes!) on the high street and then buying them online usually saves you about half.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm

trashbat wrote:Bit late now but getting a prescription and a look at frames (quietly jot down codes!) on the high street and then buying them online usually saves you about half.

Well, I'm not sure I would've saved much money anyway, the sunglasses were the most expensive by far.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 pm

<plug> glasses direct</plug>. Google em :wink:

Wait until they have a 2 for 1 offer. 2 pairs for under 30 quid (tints cost more, but not obscenely so)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby trashbat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:56 pm

I use Selectspecs myself, similar kind of affair.
trashbat

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 pm

To be quite honest, I'd rather get glasses from boots anyway, as they apparently add on the anti-glare coating on and the scratch-resistant coating on them for free on both pairs.

That's a good plan actually.

Instead of selling products cheaply and offering other things as paid-for extras, sell the product for a higher price, and claim that the other things are free!
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:36 pm

You get all that for free too.

Seriously, half the price, since running a high street operation has massive overheads.

My previous pairs came from Dollonds, now Boots, but when they wanted about £500 for two pairs, despite being on offer, I thought sod it. Exact same thing from the Internet instead amd they're fine. I also bought a test pair for £16 which were also OK but the paint wore off quite quickly.
trashbat

Postby Silk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:40 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:To be quite honest, I'd rather get glasses from boots anyway, as they apparently add on the anti-glare coating on and the scratch-resistant coating on them for free on both pairs.

Boots are a complete rip-of. You can get exactly the same thing in Asda for around half the price. Most lenses come with a standard scratch-resistant anti-reflection coating these days. There are better brands and better coatings but, unless you have varifocals, which do vary according to brand, you're unlikely to notice any difference between brands of lenses and there is even less difference between coatings - the better ones will have anti-smudge and hydrophobic properties). I used to work for Essilor many years ago (one of the market leaders in spectacle lenses and only a 5 minute walk from where I live) so I have some idea of how the industry works and where your money goes (mainly in the pocket of the optician).

I get a boots voucher free from work, but it was still cheaper to go to Asda - I made sure I asked for Essilor lenses (they'll do any brand you want as long as you ask for them) and their best anti-reflection/hard coat (Crizal). Even Boots don't necessarily fit premium lenses and coatings as standard, you have to ask.

For the same pair of glasses that would have cost around £450 from Boots can be had from Asda for less than £200. You just have to do your homework and know what to ask for.
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:18 pm

The other thing that doesn't help is I haven't the faintest idea what my prescription is.

Anyway, I'm the kind of person who usually hangs on to glasses for a very long time, so I think my £190 sunglasses will last me the next 6 years at the very least :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:The other thing that doesn't help is I haven't the faintest idea what my prescription is.

The optician who did your original eye test should have it. If not, it can be obtained from your glasses.

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Anyway, I'm the kind of person who usually hangs on to glasses for a very long time, so I think my £190 sunglasses will last me the next 6 years at the very least :mrgreen:

£190!? WTF?
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:The other thing that doesn't help is I haven't the faintest idea what my prescription is.

The optician who did your original eye test should have it. If not, it can be obtained from your glasses.

There are some numbers on my glasses...

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Anyway, I'm the kind of person who usually hangs on to glasses for a very long time, so I think my £190 sunglasses will last me the next 6 years at the very least :mrgreen:

£190!? WTF?

I have an expensive taste.

And anyway, all the cheaper glasses didn't give me enough eye coverage, they still left gaps above and below the eye which the sun could get in through.
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 am

numbers on glasses are usually a frame code
any eye test should end in the optician giving you a presecription which will say things like -3.25 / -2.75 etc. showing each eye separately...
any optician who doesn't can be asked for it - it is your presecription, not theirs!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby trashbat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 am

There might be a model code but numbers on glasses tell you the dimensions.

The only other thing you need, and won't get from an optician as they're not obliged to tell you, is the pupillary distance - distance between your pupils. You can measure this yourself though, or again it can be calculated from existing glasses.
trashbat

Postby akirk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 am

I didn't realise that - interesting, thank you

Alasdair
akirk

Postby MGF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

trashbat wrote:Bit late now but getting a prescription and a look at frames (quietly jot down codes!) on the high street and then buying them online usually saves you about half.

Freeloader.
MGF

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum