KSI's up

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:19 am

Silk wrote:
Horse wrote:The UK is one of the few (IIRC) countries to be ahead (ie below) the predicted curve.

Last time I said it, I got the usual (bad) jokes, but is there any evidence that favours countries that drive on the left as opposed to the right with regards to road safety?

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that it makes a difference. Something to do with the automatic tendency of right-handed humans to go to the left in the face of oncoming danger, or whatever.

Long time ago I read that most are right eye dominant, that meaning driving on the left would mean that dominance providing greater appreciation of vision to the right.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Silk » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:11 am

Horse wrote:Not heard anthing about that - I'll ask around.

A quick Google search seems to suggest that it's a common belief that driving on the left (in a left-hand drive country obviously :P ) is inherently safer.

It makes sense in so many ways. It's much better to use your left hand to operate the gear lever and handbrake, leaving your dominant hand on the wheel. It's also safer for cyclists (and motorcyclists?) who normally mount and dismount from the left, away from the traffic.
Silk

Postby bbllr87 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 am

WhoseGeneration wrote: most are right eye dominant

I am right-handed but left eye dominant, discovered on an archery range when no-one could find the arrows I had been shooting! :oops:
Anita.
IAM Member since 2004. Love driving with roof down, just not in traffic jams!
Crew member in Clipper 13-14 Round the World Yacht Race.
Check out my blog at http://anitasailsagain.com
bbllr87

Postby jont » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:58 pm

bbllr87 wrote:....
WhoseGeneration wrote: most are right eye dominant

I am right-handed but left eye dominant, discovered on an archery range when no-one could find the arrows I had been shooting! :oops:

I'm ambi-sinister (equally crap with both). I write right-handed, throw, catch and shoot left handed (which is a PITA with a RH rifle), and play squash both-handed :lol:
jont

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum