Should I Buy a French Car?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby akirk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 pm

back on topic - perhaps you should watch tonight's top gear and its article on peugeot :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 pm

I escaped. The 308 wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure what the point of that particular bit of licence fee wastage was, really. I enjoyed the rest of the programme though.

My 308 (and JC's 207s and 208), have been enjoyed by some very good drivers and attracted few adverse comments (c.f. your post about the combination of a good driver and a bad or mundane car, in the other thread).
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby akirk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I escaped. The 308 wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure what the point of that particular bit of licence fee wastage was, really. I enjoyed the rest of the programme though.

My 308 (and JC's 207s and 208), have been enjoyed by some very good drivers and attracted few adverse comments (c.f. your post about the combination of a good driver and a bad or mundane car, in the other thread).

oh typical top gear messing around - I enjoyed it as a silly bit of slapstick, I am not sure anyone would see it as serious reportage :) enjoyed seeing James May drive into a ditch not far from me, and then seeing them messing around in Chipping Norton... and have heard that the 308 is quite good, but never driven one - if you ever come just north of Swindon, maybe we could have a drive together?

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Silk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I escaped. The 308 wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure what the point of that particular bit of licence fee wastage was, really. I enjoyed the rest of the programme though.

Well, I've gone and ordered it now, after negotiating a generous discount. :-)

To be honest, I think I drive worse in a more powerful car, so I've settled for a 1.6 120 BHP diesel and saved a bit of money into the bargain. My current A3 is 170 BHP and it's just to easy to thrash it all the time. :wink:
Silk

Postby pete g » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Blimey Steve ordered a Pug...
I must take some credit for getting you out of the Audi tunnel vision!
You should have got one of these; http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/peu ... th/verdict
Not as good as a Fiesta ST but you cant have it all...
Look fwd to bouncing around the West in it with you..

But back on the French car subject in general

Jont, last decent French a 306GTI? You seem to be forgetting around 15yrs worth of Clio hot hatches that were top of the class... I had 3 versions of them.
I also had 2 AXGTs that were a pre injection hoot, with limiter electronically done .... Have also a Scenic with 150k on it, still on the original exhaust!!
Had very few problems with any of them, the AX interiors somewhat flimsy but they weighed 720Kgs, less than Lotus S1 Elise... imagine that weight now, that's why they went so well with 90 brake!
A few minor electrical issues but far lass problems than I had with the M3CS I always promised myself but had to get rid after 10 months because it was unreliable and costing me fortune in various ways.

I have no particular axe to grind with any make/nationality, only perhaps the old dodgy far eastern ones but even those pretty good now... I just try to get what I like but always compare to the best in class recommended in the press that way you keep an open mind... Howabout a Cayman GT4, oops sorry all sold out....
Br1stol IAM Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.
pete g

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Ironically today while subjected to a diet of daytime TV, the original episode on which Richard Hammond reviewed the 406 (a silver estate identical to the one used on Sunday) was aired. Hammond used the 406 as a pace car for a race at Croft and was very complimentary about the handling. Jezza also made some positive remarks. Just shows what hypocrites they are when it comes to a bit of TV comedy.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:39 pm

pete g wrote:Blimey Steve ordered a Pug...
I must take some credit for getting you out of the Audi tunnel vision!

But, alas, not enough to convert me to the blue oval. :wink:

pete g wrote:You should have got one of these; http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/peu ... th/verdict.

I've heard that some scientists believe there are an infinite number of parallel universes with an infinite number of possible outcomes.

I'm going to correct that to infinity minus one, as it's impossible for a universe that has me driving one of those to exist. :shock:

I'm hoping to have the Pug for Cheddar. Although I'll still have the Audi for next week, if you know what I mean. ;-)
Silk

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 pm

In a word NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I have had a Citroen for about 5 years now, from new (well technically it sat under plastic in a dealer for the first year of it's life) with only 8 miles on the clock. Now, 86000 miles on, I'm less than impressed. It's never passed an mot first time: brakes (pads & discs) (front and rear), clutch (ok I'll let that one go due to mileage), steering bearings, wiper blade mechanism, spare wheel release winch, etc all needed repaired. The only plus I have for it is that it's got me some value for money from the AA of which I've been a member for some time.

I will never buy a french car again as I have regretted this one ever since purchasing it.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby pete g » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 am

Err yeah.. brakes wear out, cant be that bad if you kept for 86k miles thats 80k more than I kept my BM!

Steve, still impressed you went from rock like Audi to delicate Pug.. hope it goes well for you.. in your parallel universe... ;-)
Br1stol IAM Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.
pete g

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:01 am

pete g wrote:Err yeah.. brakes wear out, cant be that bad if you kept for 86k miles thats 80k more than I kept my BM!)

Yes, but I seem to recall it happened pretty early in its life although I can't remember exactly. Wear and tear aside, it has a some other minor irks (dodgy wiring to numberplate lights) and one of the things that annoys me most is that the clock just can't keep even close to the correct time. I know that it's not exactly a primary feature of the vehicle but one wonders if they can't get that right....
Not a patch on my Toyota which is 3 years older and fault free, albeit with much lower miles at the moment.
One more thing is that I really don't like the continental wiring of EVERYTHING switches off with the ignition but that's obviously more of a personal preference thing.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby gannet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:52 am

Slink_Pink wrote:
pete g wrote:Err yeah.. brakes wear out, cant be that bad if you kept for 86k miles thats 80k more than I kept my BM!)

Yes, but I seem to recall it happened pretty early in its life although I can't remember exactly. Wear and tear aside, it has a some other minor irks (dodgy wiring to numberplate lights) and one of the things that annoys me most is that the clock just can't keep even close to the correct time. I know that it's not exactly a primary feature of the vehicle but one wonders if they can't get that right....
Not a patch on my Toyota which is 3 years older and fault free, albeit with much lower miles at the moment.
One more thing is that I really don't like the continental wiring of EVERYTHING switches off with the ignition but that's obviously more of a personal preference thing.

which citroen?!

We must remember that every maker makes lemons ;) I've had 4 french cars (two pug 206s, 2 citroens - Saxo vtr & DS3) and nothing really out of the ordinary has gone wrong with them - certainly nothing that wasnt covered under warranty. In contrast the Alfa 147 was a nightmare, and the z4 was less than impressive - clutch after 30k, abs sensors changing, light lens' breaking - yes 2 :o etc...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jont » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 am

gannet wrote:We must remember that every maker makes lemons ;) I've had 4 french cars (two pug 206s, 2 citroens - Saxo vtr & DS3) and nothing really out of the ordinary has gone wrong with them - certainly nothing that wasnt covered under warranty. In contrast the Alfa 147 was a nightmare, and the z4 was less than impressive - clutch after 30k, abs sensors changing, light lens' breaking - yes 2 :o etc...

<nods> Have I ranted about our unreliable skoda before? :twisted: Then the 2 Lotuses I've had were both pretty reliable. I've had 6 pugs (mostly old), other than degenerative electrical gremlins, the mechanicals have been pretty reliable. BMW has been faultless <touches wood>
jont

Postby Garrison » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:32 pm

TripleS wrote:Yes, I expect so - at least for quite a long time - although personally I'm inclined to keep away from the top end of the speed range in the case of an engine that has clocked up a high mileage. it's just my natural conservatism, and maybe not strictly necessary.

I don't think you need to keep away from the top end due to high mileage. I think you meant badly maintained high mileage cars. My 2.0 non-turbo standard MR2 clocked an indicated 145 mph when it had 175,000 miles on the clock and it was still pulling - I think it would be c.135 mph true speed. It wasn't over heating or dropping oil pressure. It's now done 190k and I have no doubt it'll do that again.
Garrison

Postby Garrison » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Given a common issue with electrical issues, I wondered why French car don't follow Japanese built Toyota in the 90s and gold-plated every single electrical connectors and over-rate all the wiring and electrical components ...
Garrison

Postby Slink_Pink » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:20 pm

gannet wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:

which citroen?!

We must remember that every maker makes lemons ;) I've had 4 french cars (two pug 206s, 2 citroens - Saxo vtr & DS3) and nothing really out of the ordinary has gone wrong with them - certainly nothing that wasnt covered under warranty. In contrast the Alfa 147 was a nightmare, and the z4 was less than impressive - clutch after 30k, abs sensors changing, light lens' breaking - yes 2 :o etc...

It's a nemo multispace - half van half car. I'm not saying that it's without virtue but...
Slink_Pink

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum