A Ka question.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote: If I get a Ka...

... people will laugh at you. :lol:
Silk

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 pm

I did notice, but can quite understand why others didn't. If you look at if for more than 2 seconds you end up wanting to vomit! There was a Pink Streetka special edition, originally to celebrate the Thunderbirds movie, where Lady P's Rolls was made by Ford. Now I need the bucket, I'm feeling nauseous.
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Silk wrote:

Says the man who drives a Peugeot 308... a car with less street credibility than a man wearing a pink leotard and matching tutu whilst doing chicken impressions in Trafalgar Square. :wink:
Gromit37

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:42 pm

akirk wrote:it is :) but I was more thinking of the colour matching - besides they are both small pink convertibles :D

Alasdair

There's a problem with small and pink?
That'd only be if one was concerned with what others might think. So, why would one be concerned with that?
I doubt our Insane one would be concerned about what others might think. Seems to me he's one who knows his own mind as regards what others might think about any choice he might make.
He's just asking about a specific model of car and whether that might be a good choice as a first car in terms of running it and what might be any pitfalls.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby akirk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:54 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
akirk wrote:it is :) but I was more thinking of the colour matching - besides they are both small pink convertibles :D

Alasdair

That'd only be if one was concerned with what others might think. So, why would one be concerned with that?
I doubt our Insane one would be concerned about what others might think. Seems to me he's one who knows his own mind as regards what others might think about any choice he might make.
He's just asking about a specific model of car and whether that might be a good choice as a first car in terms of running it and what might be any pitfalls.

no problem at all (speaking as one who has owned a bright banana yellow small convertible in the past! - and a Gold range rover - line up to share your jokes!) - it was a little bit of humour :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Silk wrote:

Please, sir.

This is where being deaf comes in handy, I won't hear the gales of laughter as I chug down the street (and I'll need them to help the engine push the car down the street! ;))

Think of it as me doing a social service, there will be more laughter, and the world shall be a brighter place! :mrgreen:

(anyway, I do not care, for I am quite happy with who I am, and the world shall turn, regardless of what vehicle I proceed in)

WhoseGeneration wrote:

Alasdair

I might get a small and pink one, might be a tad cheaper since nobody else'll want 'em! ;)

akirk wrote:no problem at all (speaking as one who has owned a bright banana yellow small convertible in the past! - and a Gold range rover - line up to share your jokes!) - it was a little bit of humour :D

Alasdair

A man after my own heart! :D
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:12 pm

akirk wrote:no problem at all (speaking as one who has owned a bright banana yellow small convertible in the past! - and a Gold range rover - line up to share your jokes!) - it was a little bit of humour :D
Alasdair

Fair enough but what's the Forum view, from those of us older and more experienced, to Ka or not to Ka?
WhoseGeneration

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:....nudging 100k miles when the coolant hose fell off and threw the coolant everywhere a few months ago. It was still drive-able, but the heater and all the blowers were packed up, which meant it was dangerous to drive as you couldn't demist the windscreen on the move!

But she says that was the first major failure they had with their Ka ...

That's hardly a "major failure". A hose, which should probably have been replaced years before, perished and split. Routine inspections and regular maintenance would almost certainly have prevented that from happening. In days gone by, savvy motorists would probably have carried a spare in the car with them, but hoses are made of sterner stuff (like Kevlar) these days, and the DIY spirit of car owners is weaker.

Well, I personally think the coolant hose coming off isn't a major failure either, but it was the fall out effects of it that caused the car to be gotten rid of.

If it was a case it came off and poured coolant on to the road while it was stationary, it wouldn't be an issue, just clip it back on and fill it up with more coolant and off you go.

But the issue is the fact it somehow messed up the controls for fans and whatnot, which turned a simple job into a major case of replacing many bits in the engine bay.
TheInsanity1234

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:But the issue is the fact it somehow messed up the controls for fans and whatnot, which turned a simple job into a major case of replacing many bits in the engine bay.

Hearsay about one example is never a reason to discount that model. Look on any forum about any model, you'd never buy anything.
In this thread you've had pointers to the basic problems with the previous generation Ka, now it's up to you to decide whether or not to persue that choice.
One tip, learn about maintenance, especially preventative maintenance. Modern cars are pretty good but they are not, despite how most treat them, just white goods.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:44 am

Ignore any naysayers. Most manufacturers tend to roll out new models every 7 years or so. The original Ka lasted double that, and the numbers sold were huge. Ignore the quirky looks and any derisory comments... I hated the things until I drove one. Those post 2002 Duratec Kas are pretty reliable, and easy to fix. The biggest problem, by a big margin, is rust. The later KA models had body coloured bumpers which made them look much better, and buy a mid range model or above to get air con. And don't buy a pink one :wink:
Gromit37

Postby Silk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:09 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:This is where being deaf comes in handy, I won't hear the gales of laughter as I chug down the street

As a great philosopher once said, "Just because you can't hear them laughing, doesn't mean they're not". ;-)
Silk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:46 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:But the issue is the fact it somehow messed up the controls for fans and whatnot, which turned a simple job into a major case of replacing many bits in the engine bay.

Hearsay about one example is never a reason to discount that model. Look on any forum about any model, you'd never buy anything.
In this thread you've had pointers to the basic problems with the previous generation Ka, now it's up to you to decide whether or not to persue that choice.
One tip, learn about maintenance, especially preventative maintenance. Modern cars are pretty good but they are not, despite how most treat them, just white goods.

I never intended to make it seem like I'd discount the Ka based on what happened to her!

I didn't make it clear that hers was a particularly ratty example which caused us to wonder in amazement every time it passed an MOT with basic servicing! :P

Apparently it started on the spot every time it was asked to, except for one occasion where it had a flat battery (was flat due to age, it was the original battery and a particularly cold frost killed it0.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
Silk wrote:

Says the man who drives a Peugeot 308... a car with less street credibility than a man wearing a pink leotard and matching tutu whilst doing chicken impressions in Trafalgar Square. :wink:

I'll have you know some of the best drivers drive Peugeots. John C also drives one. :wink:
Silk

Postby TripleS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:27 pm

Silk wrote:I'll have you know some of the best drivers drive Peugeots....

OTOH you can find some real ratbags in Pugs. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave - an Advanced ratbag.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:32 pm

TripleS wrote:
Silk wrote:I'll have you know some of the best drivers drive Peugeots....

OTOH you can find some real ratbags in Pugs. :lol:

Oh yes. :D
Silk

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum