Latest IAM poll (open to all)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Interesting questions about speed...

http://www.iam.org.uk/media-and-research/research/poll
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby akirk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

starts well with a preconception in the summary
and then questions based around a set of assumptions
wonder who is sponsoring / behind the survey?

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 pm

akirk wrote:starts well with a preconception in the summary

Alasdair

Tell me more?

The IAM survey's are done by the IAM itself and used to generate press releases and shape policy.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:48 pm

martine wrote:The IAM survey's

The IAM survey's what?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:

The IAM survey's what?

Aaarrgh...sorry - I'm normally good at those.
martine

Postby akirk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:25 pm

martine wrote:
akirk wrote:starts well with a preconception in the summary

Alasdair

Tell me more?

The IAM surveys are done by the IAM itself and used to generate press releases and shape policy.

Just the way the wording is phrased - there is I think an art in how you phrase questions so that they are open and find out what people really think - rather than having a bias in how they come across... e.g. talking about speed limits - there is an assumption in the available options - if you really want to find out views you shouldn't start from one stance, but allow any option as a reply - so for example it might be that the respondent's view is to raise motorway speed limits to 90 or to 100, or unlimited a la Germany... but there isn't an option to answer in that way...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Kimosabe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:34 pm

What a waste of time. What's preventing 'Brake!' from posting a link to that survey on their facebook page and their members filling it in as badged IAM members?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Done but why no ex IAM member option at the start?
That'd be another example of why IAM HQ is not thinking enough.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby akirk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Kimosabe wrote:What a waste of time. What's preventing 'Brake!' from posting a link to that survey on their facebook page and their members filling it in as badged IAM members?

exactly - without understanding the starting position of the person filling it in / knowing the honesty with which it is completed then it is meaningless - like so many online surveys, yet we seem to run our country based on such skewed opinions!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 pm

akirk wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:What a waste of time. What's preventing 'Brake!' from posting a link to that survey on their facebook page and their members filling it in as badged IAM members?

exactly - without understanding the starting position of the person filling it in / knowing the honesty with which it is completed then it is meaningless - like so many online surveys, yet we seem to run our country based on such skewed opinions!

Alasdair

It's a snapshot of opinion - agreed it's not precise but I wouldn't dismiss it so readily. Also if you have too many options it dilutes the message...eg you could have 5 mph increments from 0 - 200mph but I'm not sure it would be relevant. There was a serious proposal recently to increase the limit from 70 to 80 but that seems to have been shelved - hence the 'skewed' question.
martine

Postby akirk » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:53 pm

I suspect it depends on the motive/ purpose behind the survey - if it is simply to be able to say - the limit should have been raised / it was wise not to - then it works - but the starting paragraph implies that enforcement (e.g. of speed) is a safety measure - which suggests that the survey is starting from a position of one perspective, and not necessarily a correct one...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby revian » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:56 pm

The IAM survey's what?

' The IAM survey is'...

Just odd philosophical presentation...' I think therefore I am' variant... :?
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:49 am

revian wrote:

The IAM survey's what?

' The IAM survey is'...

No - "the IAM surveys are...", in this case :D
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:10 pm

akirk wrote:I suspect it depends on the motive/ purpose behind the survey - if it is simply to be able to say - the limit should have been raised / it was wise not to - then it works - but the starting paragraph implies that enforcement (e.g. of speed) is a safety measure - which suggests that the survey is starting from a position of one perspective, and not necessarily a correct one...

Alasdair

I think we're all crediting the IAM with more clout and nouse than it has. Even so, imagine what it's like to know that the survey data you're using to inform policy, is next to useless under even mild scrutiny? Either that or they're being naieve or worse, delusional. Never the less, there'll soon be an army of observers unquestioningly quoting the results of this survey like a gospel. I know the IAM know this but hey, why not add to the nebulous galaxy of stats we're all told we to need to know about. 108% of me believes that. :lol:

There's big business to be made from offering four hour long 'courses' in place of three points and a £100 fine. Maybe the IAM are considering this market with a view to expanding their interests.

Must dash, just remembered that I couldn't care less.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby sussex2 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
akirk wrote:I suspect it depends on the motive/ purpose behind the survey - if it is simply to be able to say - the limit should have been raised / it was wise not to - then it works - but the starting paragraph implies that enforcement (e.g. of speed) is a safety measure - which suggests that the survey is starting from a position of one perspective, and not necessarily a correct one...

Alasdair

I think we're all crediting the IAM with more clout and nouse than it has. Even so, imagine what it's like to know that the survey data you're using to inform policy, is next to useless under even mild scrutiny? Either that or they're being naieve or worse, delusional. Never the less, there'll soon be an army of observers unquestioningly quoting the results of this survey like a gospel. I know the IAM know this but hey, why not add to the nebulous galaxy of stats we're all told we to need to know about. 108% of me believes that. :lol:

There's big business to be made from offering four hour long 'courses' in place of three points and a £100 fine. Maybe the IAM are considering this market with a view to expanding their interests.

Must dash, just remembered that I couldn't care less.

Couldn't have phrased it better and have thought that for a long time.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum