Intelligent Speed Adaptation...coming to a car near you...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:58 am

I'm tempted to write to the ASA and complain about the name. Blind compliance with a number on a stick is anything but "intelligent" :twisted:
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 pm

All this is going to do is just give people another excuse they can use to get out of speeding fines, and fail.

"Oh sorry officer, I didn't realise I was speeding, my car is supposed to read signs and make sure I'm not speeding"

"Well, as the driver, you're supposed to make sure you're not speeding"

"oh"
TheInsanity1234

Postby jont » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:All this is going to do is just give people another excuse they can use to get out of speeding fines, and fail.

"Oh sorry officer, I didn't realise I was speeding, my car is supposed to read signs and make sure I'm not speeding"

"oh"

The quote from Ford in a BBC article recently said something along the lines of "it /will/ help people avoid speeding fines, and it /may/ improve road safety" :roll: Clearly they know what's most important to their customers.
jont

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:04 pm

jont wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:All this is going to do is just give people another excuse they can use to get out of speeding fines, and fail.

"oh"

The quote from Ford in a BBC article recently said something along the lines of "it /will/ help people avoid speeding fines, and it /may/ improve road safety" :roll: Clearly they know what's most important to their customers.

I can see how it might help improve road safety, as it will help people look at the speedometer less, and look at the road more.

But still, it could also encourage people to pay less attention to the roads as they don't have to worry about speeding either.
TheInsanity1234

Postby sussex2 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:53 am

I stand to be corrected but believe that the majority of signs in the UK cannot be 'read' by these systems; whereas on the mainland most can.
If that is the case it will be next to useless until the present situation changes.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby jont » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:38 am

sussex2 wrote:I stand to be corrected but believe that the majority of signs in the UK cannot be 'read' by these systems; whereas on the mainland most can.
If that is the case it will be next to useless until the present situation changes.

I'm looking at all the opportunities to "hack" these so called intelligent systems with roadside signs. For example can you cause a denial of service by making the car think there's a pedestrian about to run into the road?
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... SjrgZTF8n1
jont

Postby akirk » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:16 am

it will be a dream come true for local speed campaigners...

traffic too fast in your village - just paint a 10mph sign, prop it in your garden and watch all the traffic slow down :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TripleS » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 am

It's gone very quiet around here. Are you all busy gardening? :wink:
TripleS

Postby akirk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 am

StressedDave wrote:Nope, just trundling around very slowly as the ISA is only reading the first digit of the speed limit signs :wink:

be thankful it is not reading only the second digit - you would be stuck an awfully long time :D
Alasdair
akirk

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum