Clocking - What's the Problem?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:48 am

trashbat wrote:I don't actually believe that you have any strong opinions about clocking, so it begs the question, what's the point of this exercise?

You could always ask yourself, "why am I still here and why is this thread already on its third page?" :wink:

Just because something doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not interesting. I have to put up with endless tedious discussions on cornering, handling and incorrect steering methods. Do I complain? :D
Silk

Postby MGF » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Silk wrote:
In the end, if you don't want to risk buying a car you know little about, you buy a new one. That's why new cars cost more.

...and if you don't want to pay for depreciation in value of a new car buy a used one. :)
MGF

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 pm

MGF wrote:
Silk wrote:
In the end, if you don't want to risk buying a car you know little about, you buy a new one. That's why new cars cost more.

...and if you don't want to pay for depreciation in value of a new car buy a used one. :)

...and you take your chance that it hasn't been treated too badly by the previous owner/s.

On the other hand, you could always by a used car from a dealership - then you can get a year-old car with average mileage for the same price you can get it brand new online. :wink:

In reality, depreciation on new cars is a bit of a myth. I'm not going to waste time trying to explain why this is the case, it just is.
Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:20 pm

chriskay wrote:
Silk wrote: Be honest, does anyone on here really care what happens to their car when they sell it on as long as they get the best price?

We all want the best possible price when we sell a car, but maybe I SHOULD care if I've had it clocked and as a result the new owner is faced with a huge bill for a cambelt failure.
Silk wrote: I have to put up with endless tedious discussions on cornering, handling and incorrect steering methods.

No-one is forcing you to put up with them: you could always leave.

The irony. :D
Silk

Postby revian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Silk wrote:. I have to put up with endless tedious discussions on cornering, handling and incorrect steering methods. Do I complain? :D

I'm puzzled that this is a worthwhile alternative to the perceived problem... Still you've pulled it out to 3 pages!
What next...the benefits to the economy of slashing part-worn tyres? :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:56 pm

revian wrote:What next...the benefits to the economy of slashing part-worn tyres? :wink:

You're not taking this seriously. :wink:
Silk

Postby revian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Silk wrote:
revian wrote:What next...the benefits to the economy of slashing part-worn tyres? :wink:

You're not taking this seriously. :wink:

Dash it! You've found me out... :cry:
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 pm

chriskay wrote:We all want the best possible price when we sell a car, but maybe I SHOULD care if I've had it clocked and as a result the new owner is faced with a huge bill for a cambelt failure?

You'll probably be ok. :wink:
Silk

Postby waremark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:54 pm

I always offer cars I am selling to anyone I know - generally for the best offer I have had from elsewhere. I tell them that they cannot rely on the car being sound, but they can rely on hearing the truth about its history.

Makes me wonder why we don't have a market place on here - available only to those who have been members for a qualifying period of time.
waremark

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:39 am

waremark wrote:I always offer cars I am selling to anyone I know - generally for the best offer I have had from elsewhere. I tell them that they cannot rely on the car being sound, but they can rely on hearing the truth about its history.

Makes me wonder why we don't have a market place on here - available only to those who have been members for a qualifying period of time.

I'd be a bit reluctant to *sell* a car to a family member. If something goes wrong it's not worth the potential bad feeling - either I'd be expected to fix it or I'd feel obliged to. I'd give it away or nothing. I have no idea where my previous cars have ended up, and I'm happy for it to stay that way.
Silk

Postby MGF » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am

Silk wrote:
MGF wrote:
Silk wrote:

...and you take your chance that it hasn't been treated too badly by the previous owner/s.

I understand that. You wish to have the benefit of new car ownership (knowing its history) and deny future purchasers of the benefit of the depreciation in value of your car because of your high mileage by dishonestly misrepresenting the same.

The obvious objection to your point of view is that it is dishonest.

The question posed in the thread title is more appropriate for your parents when you were a child rather than a forum for adults where the consensus is likely to be that telling lies to get more money for something you are selling is unacceptable. Even if you feel that the market doesn't value your car fairly.
MGF

Postby MGF » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 am

waremark wrote:

...because Silk qualifies. :) Just because we have something in common doesn't mean we wont lie to each other.
MGF

Postby Silk » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 pm

MGF wrote:
waremark wrote:

...because Silk qualifies. :) Just because we have something in common doesn't mean we wont lie to each other.

That makes it 4 pages. Best leave it there I think. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.
Silk

Postby waremark » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 am

Wonder what Silk really thinks about this? Congrats on the 4 pages Silk.
waremark

Postby MGF » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am

Why would you trust a seller because they post on the same online forum as you do?
MGF

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum