Thin end of the wedge?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Ancient » Fri May 01, 2015 2:50 pm

jont wrote:Google at least has a commercial interest in keeping our private data to itself.

A commercial interest in not selling our private information? Excuse me whilst I roll around laughing!

trashbat ... errr, yeah :)
Ancient

Postby jont » Fri May 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Ancient wrote:
jont wrote:Google at least has a commercial interest in keeping our private data to itself.

A commercial interest in not selling our private information? Excuse me whilst I roll around laughing!

trashbat ... errr, yeah :)

I guess it depends what you mean. It's not selling the information directly, but using the information to place advertising. If it sold the information itself, advertisers wouldn't need to keep going back to google.
jont

Postby chrisl » Fri May 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I expect opposing the technology will be a fruitless task as the benefits seem to speak for themselves and there is a certain inevitability once a thing becomes possible. The target should be getting some stringent controls over the use of the data collected, effectively ring-fencing the data to make it unlawful for it to be used for purposes other than the primary function of the device, and to ensure it is securely deleted within a controlled time-frame.
chrisl

Postby Ancient » Fri May 01, 2015 4:10 pm

jont, advertising information is not the only information the T&Cs allows it to gather. It can turn on your microphone and camera at any time and use the information gathered and any personal data (including ids and passwords) at any time for any purpose.

Frankly I am surprised that other companies even allow these on their premises; or not that surprised as I doubt the management read the T&Cs either (or realise what they mean).
Ancient

Postby jont » Fri May 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Ancient wrote:jont, advertising information is not the only information the T&Cs allows it to gather. It can turn on your microphone and camera at any time and use the information gathered and any personal data (including ids and passwords) at any time for any purpose.

Frankly I am surprised that other companies even allow these on their premises; or not that surprised as I doubt the management read the T&Cs either (or realise what they mean).

Allow what? Computers? :shock:
jont

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri May 01, 2015 8:22 pm

StressedDave wrote: Vote carefully next week...

In my dreams I have a scenario where none vote. Because, thanks to the development of digital technology, the politicians are slowly removing the point of being Human, which, at heart is, to slightly simplify, sex 'n drugs 'n rock and roll.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Sat May 02, 2015 4:53 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
StressedDave wrote: Vote carefully next week...

In my dreams I have a scenario where none vote. Because, thanks to the development of digital technology, the politicians are slowly removing the point of being Human, which, at heart is, to slightly simplify, sex 'n drugs 'n rock and roll.

Don't do drugs, and I'll keep quiet about the sex (lest I get JC going :lol: ), but I used to like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnTS39cL50

Thought for the day:

The invention of the silicon chip is clearly the worst disaster to befall mankind, spectacularly knocking the internal combustion engine from its perch. It should have been a wonderful development, and done us an immense amount of good, but unfortunately our ability to develop new technologies is far outstripping our ability to use them wisely.
TripleS

Postby Ancient » Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am

jont wrote:Allow what? Computers? :shock:

Allow devices with built-in software whose T&Cs give permission to use any information gathered for any purposes. Not so long ago it was forbidden to take cameras or recording devices into sensitive work premises; now these devices are normalised and the control of when they are recording is not even with the device 'owner' (apart of course from the off switch, which is seldom used).
Ancient

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum