Where Have all the Caravans Gone?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 am

TripleS wrote:Is it true that caravans do not have brakes? I thought they were fitted on the larger ones but I might be wrong. Maybe it is trailers above a certain size that have them.

No, caravans have overrun brakes, and it's almost all of them now. There are a few trailers that don't have brakes, but they're usually for light loads that are too big to pop into the back of your car.

Carbon Based wrote:This may be very much out of date but as a kid, the family caravan and various small to medium sized trailers had overrun brakes.

Certainly not out of date, it is still the case.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun May 03, 2015 11:30 am

It appears anything over 750kg must have brakes, so most caravans will have them. They're operated by a cable, it seems, and since there's no roadworthiness requirement for caravans, my bet is half of them don't work.

There's quite a nice explanation of the system here.

Apologies for my assumption. It doesn't really change my horror of caravans, having witnessed how quickly they turn into potentially lethal roadblocks.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 am

I do have to admit, you're perfectly right in the sense caravans can be allowed to deteriorate until death because there's no legal requirement.

It does make me slightly concerned every time my family goes on holiday with our caravan, because it gets left in storage for the autumn - spring seasons, then gets yanked out for summer if we want to use it. No servicing or checking, we just load it up and bugger off on holiday, then when we come back, the caravan goes back into storage and is left to its own devices for the next 9 months.

I would generally book it in for a check over once a year, but my parents are not the kind of people to do that, unfortunately.
TheInsanity1234

Postby revian » Sun May 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Silk wrote:
revian wrote:Let me know where you'll be so I can baulk you 8)

That's not the attitude I would expect from a Christian man. :shock: Well, come to think of it, it probably is. :wink:

Tough love mate for your own good.... It's not all tea and scones :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun May 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Death, or cake ...?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby revian » Sun May 03, 2015 4:54 pm

TripleS wrote:Is it true that caravans do not have brakes? I thought they were fitted on the larger ones but I might be wrong. Maybe it is trailers above a certain size that have them.

Reasonable brakes and a stabilising coupling. Loading needs to be right with enough downward weight on the tow bar. I've never had a problem as my caravan weighs only 700kg or thereabouts. It's just a high trailer.

I stick to the (lower)speed limits but could do 80 with brisk acceleration if allowed.. Occasionally surprising the car that assumes it can overtake with arrogance :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby akirk » Sun May 03, 2015 5:59 pm

towing at speed with modern cars is seldom a problem - I remember seeing off a transit up a dual carriageway hill - RR (5.0l) towing a farm trailer and 1950s trator - didn't even notice it on the back...

the issue is lateral movements and stopping - and there is very little in the car / hitch / caravan system designed to deal with that :)

interesting reading here:
http://www.lovesafety.com/caravans.html
In 2011 road traffic accidents were the casue of 18% of claims made by caravanners, whilst 33% of these incidents resulted from collisions with other road users, 9% were caused by detachment of the unit from the tow vehicle, 14% were caused by wheel loss, 33% as a result of tyre blow out and 9% as a result of a snaking incident, with the remainder being due to unidentified causes.

it does sound as though checking the wheels / tyres, and that the caravan is actually hitched would drop the stats down a long way :)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Silk » Sun May 03, 2015 6:38 pm

revian wrote:It's not all tea and scones :wink:

Isn't there something about God, or is that optional these days? :wink:
Silk

Postby revian » Mon May 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Silk wrote:

:D Have you been reading the Daily Mail again....now go and wash your hands.. :wink:
Wirral
revian

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 pm

revian wrote:...my caravan weighs only 700kg or thereabouts.

Gross? with all your provisions, gas bottles, bikes on the back ... ?

revian wrote: It's just a high trailer.
(my bold) - that being one of my points - sidewinds :shock: :shock:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 pm

revian wrote:
Silk wrote:

:D Have you been reading the Daily Mail again....now go and wash your hands.. :wink:

....but if a small boy resides in that household, you may need to wash the soap first. :lol:
TripleS

Postby revian » Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
revian wrote:...my caravan weighs only 700kg or thereabouts.

Gross? with all your provisions, gas bottles, bikes on the back ... ?

revian wrote: It's just a high trailer.
(my bold) - that being one of my points - sidewinds :shock: :shock:

Of course that's right... It's about an extra 100kg for the 'bits' but I also put things in the car instead. Bikes on the back? Sure fire way to, IMHO, create unhappy balance conditions.

High... Don travel in very high winds but then it's also lower that most. I'm a tad vertically challenged and don't need tower block air space inside.
Wirral
revian

Postby revian » Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

TripleS wrote:....but if a small boy resides in that household, you may need to wash the soap first. :lol:

Clearly at least one does. Is that what you are saying?

Fiddle ...there's me being unchristian again :wink: Must get back to tea and scones.
Wirral
revian

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum