A question.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Sun May 10, 2015 6:18 pm

waremark wrote:Forget all aspects of cost. How high up the range would you want to go? Would you get more pleasure from a car which cost 10 times as much as your current one than you would from a car which cost only twice as much as your current one?

That's a good question. The car I really want always seems to be around twice the price of the one I end up settling for. On the other hand, if I went for the car twice the price, how long would it be before I got used to the extra performance/gadgets/size etc. and started looking at double the price again? Where would it end?

As I'm not a car enthusiast, I suspect that 10 times would put me in serious diminishing returns territory. I can't really see anything over £50K that would interest me, let alone £200K.
Silk

Postby jameslb101 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:38 pm

I love these hypothetical garage questions, and for me my choice is obvious (in fact I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it)...

Tesla Model S

Given I'm pretty uncertain about how my next 10 years will pan out, I'd need something with insanely low running costs, and the Model S will costs me virtually nothing to fuel. Is is also mechanically simple compared to an internal combustion engined car, so hopefully would cost less than anything of remotely comparable performance in maintenance costs.

Oh and they're fast, comfortable, well equipped, good looking and nice to drive.

jameslb101

Postby Angus » Sun May 10, 2015 10:11 pm

waremark wrote:
JamesAllport wrote:Alpina D3 Touring.

Alpina blue please with one of Alpina's "classic" (read questionable) two tone leather interiors.

James

How do you choose between that and a pure BMW offering?

Easily

Alpina don't fit run flats. And (tho' I'm not sure it applies to the D3) they do away with the 155 limiter
Angus

Postby akirk » Sun May 10, 2015 10:19 pm

jameslb101 wrote:I love these hypothetical garage questions, and for me my choice is obvious (in fact I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it)...

Tesla Model S

Given I'm pretty uncertain about how my next 10 years will pan out, I'd need something with insanely low running costs, and the Model S will costs me virtually nothing to fuel. Is is also mechanically simple compared to an internal combustion engined car, so hopefully would cost less than anything of remotely comparable performance in maintenance costs.

Oh and they're fast, comfortable, well equipped, good looking and nice to drive.

I would love one - but the range is just not there yet... I have no power to my drive (which due to rural weirdities is not directly connected to my house!) so recharging at home is difficult - and I regularly drive a trip which is beyond its capacity, and while there are chargers, it is just too much of a concern still that you might run out of fuel without an easy way of recharging...

but in 10 years time I would hope that may be transformed!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby waremark » Sun May 10, 2015 10:33 pm

On the Tesla, I would love one - but not as my only car. I would have to have a car which was suitable for long trips without range anxiety.

On the how expensive would you go question, I think it probably depends on your life style and circle of friends. I have not the remotest interest in owning a car beyond £200k, but I expect that if I had a private oil well and all my friends did too I would be at the front of the queue for a La Ferrari and a custom Rolls.
waremark

Postby revian » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am

waremark wrote: I have not the remotest interest in owning a car beyond £200k, but I expect that if I had a private oil well and all my friends did too I would be at the front of the queue for a La Ferrari and a custom Rolls.

Wow! Then at only £199,999.99 you could have mine. It's a snip...relatively speaking...and it's not been clocked... Runs like silk...
8)
Wirral
revian

Postby Garrison » Mon May 11, 2015 9:53 pm

akirk wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:I love these hypothetical garage questions, and for me my choice is obvious (in fact I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it)...

Tesla Model S

I would love one - but the range is just not there yet... I have no power to my drive (which due to rural weirdities is not directly connected to my house!) so recharging at home is difficult - and I regularly drive a trip which is beyond its capacity, and while there are chargers, it is just too much of a concern still that you might run out of fuel without an easy way of recharging...

but in 10 years time I would hope that may be transformed!

Alasdair

Even living in central London and can afford it, I would hesitate to buy a Tesla. The fast charge points in the car parks I have used are almost certainly full during the week and their owners / colleagues cannot be bothered to move their cars during the 12-15-hour working day. I'll be seriously annoyed if I drive on the basis I can charge at my destination and find that I can't.

If this is the kind of car you want, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV plug in diesel makes much more sense, especially you only pay c.£300 company car tax / benefits in kind a year for a new car. In fact, we have been considering if the 7-seat Outlander would be our perfect family car - but my wife doesn't like it ...
Garrison

Postby waremark » Tue May 12, 2015 12:10 am

revian wrote:
waremark wrote: I have not the remotest interest in owning a car beyond £200k, but I expect that if I had a private oil well and all my friends did too I would be at the front of the queue for a La Ferrari and a custom Rolls.

Wow! Then at only £199,999.99 you could have mine. It's a snip...relatively speaking...and it's not been clocked... Runs like silk...
8)

I often wish this forum had a 'like' - like Facebook.

And I never said I had £200k to spend on a car, just implied that I could imagine wanting to do so. Though actually I would prefer to spend my £200k on a fleet of cheaper cars, or indeed on a flying machine.
waremark

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Well, what if you got an unlimited budget, you could buy any car you like and it has to be your daily car.

However, after exactly a year, it had to go, doesn't matter how much you love it, it just has to go, and you won't get any money back for it. Also, you get to keep your current fleets, but all of them will disappear into storage, so you can't use any of your current cars.

What would you do?

Oh, and no swapping or selling early. Have to keep it, no matter how much you despise it.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Pontoneer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:53 am

For me , at least , it would be easy . My choice would be a Mercedes W113 'Pagoda' 230SL automatic , fully restored , have to think about the colour .

That car is an absolute classic but eminently practical and useable on a daily basis ; never mind 10 years , I know a couple of people who have had them from new , and I'd never want another car either .

I saw one the other day in University Avenue , Glasgow , top down , as I passed the other way in my R129 , also topless , and exchanged waves with the driver : what a stunning car in spotless white bodywork and red interior !
Pontoneer

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 am

revian wrote:

8)

Pah, I have an unclocked car that runs very pleasantly and economically (OK it doesn't run like silk, but then it hasn't got legs like 'im :lol: ), but it could be yours for a lot less than £200k - probably something like 99.8% less. :roll:
TripleS

Postby waremark » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 pm

TripleS wrote:
revian wrote:

8)

Pah, I have an unclocked car that runs very pleasantly and economically (OK it doesn't run like silk, but then it hasn't got legs like 'im :lol: ), but it could be yours for a lot less than £200k - probably something like 99.8% less. :roll:

So you are offering me your Cub for £400? I am quite happy with mine thanks (we both have CUB registrations). I could equally say that I haven't the remotest interest in owning a car which anyone would let me have for less than £500!
waremark

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:I have an unclocked car that runs very pleasantly and economically (OK it doesn't run like silk, but then it hasn't got legs like 'im :lol: ), but it could be yours for a lot less than £200k - probably something like 99.8% less. :roll:

So you are offering me your Cub for £400? I am quite happy with mine thanks (we both have CUB registrations). I could equally say that I haven't the remotest interest in owning a car which anyone would let me have for less than £500!

No, I didn't think you would be interested in such a low value car. 'Twasn't a serious offer anyhow, as I'd much prefer to keep it myself.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum