A question.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Wed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

StressedDave wrote:Ah yes... the owner was trying for classic Italian speedboat and seemed to end up with (IMVHO) Italian knocking-shop

/VOE? :lol:
jont

Postby Silk » Thu May 07, 2015 2:21 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:If you had an unlimited budget, and you could purchase any car you like, on one condition:
You have to own that one car, and nothing else for the next 10 years, and you would be running it on your normal wages and whatever, what would you get?

After careful consideration, I've decided to donate mine to Triple S as he's overdue a new car. There's no way I could contemplate owning a ten year old car.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Thu May 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Silk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:If you had an unlimited budget, and you could purchase any car you like, on one condition:
You have to own that one car, and nothing else for the next 10 years, and you would be running it on your normal wages and whatever, what would you get?

After careful consideration, I've decided to donate mine to TripleS as he's overdue a new car. There's no way I could contemplate owning a ten year old car.

Well that's most kind of you, Steve, but I'm hoping not to have to bother about acquiring another car. All being well the old 406 will survive another year or two (which will make it 17 years old), but if it doesn't we'll just be left with Eileen's car (which itself is 10 years old), and we'll share that.

Of course there was a time when the idea of having a new car was immensely appealing to me, but those days are long gone. In fact, I've only ever had two new cars - Austin-Healey Sprite Mark 1 and Mark 4; and I parted company with the Mark 4 Sprite when it was a year old, and bought a 3.8 Mark 2 Jaguar. That was six years old when I bought it, and I kept it for 32 years. A ten year old car is a young 'un to me. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu May 07, 2015 8:18 pm

I've yet to buy a new car, probably never will. I've had new company cars, but never bought one myself.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Silk » Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I've yet to buy a new car, probably never will. I've had new company cars, but never bought one myself.

I haven't bought a used car since about 1989. I may have to one day, but I may decide it's better to walk.
Silk

Postby gannet » Thu May 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I've yet to buy a new car, probably never will. I've had new company cars, but never bought one myself.

my personal history...

me:
Vauxhall Astra - 2nd hand used
Peugeot 206 xs - new
Alfa 147 - new
Peugeot 206 GTi - new
BMW Z4 - 2nd hand used
Citroen DS3 - dealer demo

mrs gannet:
Citroen Saxo vtr - 2nd hand used
Mazda 2 sport - new
MINI coupe - dealer demo - incoming...

so 4 new cars,
2 nearly new cars
and 4 a couple or more years old

best deals by far are the dealer demos, way to go for the gannet household :D

as for the OP's question, Probably a Boxster or Cayman, but really 10 years is a looong time :o
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jont » Fri May 08, 2015 6:12 am

Never bought new either. Best value has to be the Z4M. Previous owner absorbed >£1/mile depreciation, while it cost me <10p/mile :lol: Didn't even cost me much in servicing. (Just don't ask about petrol or tyres...). Actually, thinking about it, given the mileage I've now done in it, the 306 is even cheaper per mile (bought 18 months ago for just over £1k and it's done 15k miles since then).
jont

Postby TripleS » Fri May 08, 2015 7:03 am

Silk wrote:

I haven't bought a used car since about 1989. I may have to one day, but I may decide it's better to walk.

Aye, that'll be much better for you, especially when you're getting on a bit.

Actually, if I had to make a choice between having a garden or having a car, the car would be gone PDQ. The enjoyment of car ownership and usage ain't what it was, unfortunately.

Anyhow, we're now off to Scotland with the motorhome for a couple of weeks. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Silk » Fri May 08, 2015 8:08 am

TripleS wrote:Actually, if I had to make a choice between having a garden or having a car, the car would be gone PDQ. The enjoyment of car ownership and usage ain't what it was, unfortunately.

A garden? Are you mad? We have a gardener to do all that, otherwise it'd be tarmac. :shock: I've even thought about renting it out as an allotment. 8)

I'm going to disagree about car ownership. Cars are much nicer these days. When I was a kid, the hard shoulder was littered with cars with their bonnets open spewing out all kinds of crap, and a puddle of oil underneath. Even 20 years ago a car would be knackered before it went "round the clock".
Silk

Postby Garrison » Fri May 08, 2015 8:17 pm

jont wrote:Didn't even cost me much in servicing. (Just don't ask about petrol or tyres...)

Yes, because Alex and I got 13 mpg out of it in an afternoon (over 3/4 of a tank)

For me, a 991 Turbo S if I don't get to keep the cash on resale in 10 years time, 996 Turbo if I get to keep the cash on resale.

Check this 991 Turbo S' time around Anglesey - http://youtu.be/Uv8z7inZKpU
Garrison

Postby waremark » Sat May 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Garrison wrote:
jont wrote:Didn't even cost me much in servicing. (Just don't ask about petrol or tyres...)

Yes, because Alex and I got 13 mpg out of it in an afternoon (over 3/4 of a tank)

For me, a 991 Turbo S if I don't get to keep the cash on resale in 10 years time, 996 Turbo if I get to keep the cash on resale.

Check this 991 Turbo S' time around Anglesey - http://youtu.be/Uv8z7inZKpU

Good call
waremark

Postby waremark » Sat May 09, 2015 3:07 pm

jont wrote:Never bought new either. Best value has to be the Z4M. Previous owner absorbed >£1/mile depreciation, while it cost me <10p/mile :lol: Didn't even cost me much in servicing. (Just don't ask about petrol or tyres...). Actually, thinking about it, given the mileage I've now done in it, the 306 is even cheaper per mile (bought 18 months ago for just over £1k and it's done 15k miles since then).

I wanted to buy the Z4M. Slightly sorry I wasn't quicker off the mark.

My son's last car cost the first owner £10 per mile depreciation, and him virtually none. My choice of new or fairly nearly new depends on the specific market situation for each car.
waremark

Postby waremark » Sat May 09, 2015 3:10 pm

JamesAllport wrote:Alpina D3 Touring.

Alpina blue please with one of Alpina's "classic" (read questionable) two tone leather interiors.

James

How do you choose between that and a pure BMW offering?
waremark

Postby waremark » Sat May 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Silk wrote:

It's a very good question.

When I'm buying a car I'm always having to compromise and wishing I could get a higher spec or bigger model or some expensive option. With unlimited resources, I'm a bit stumped. It would probably be better if someone said I could spend twice as much on my next car.

Forget all aspects of cost. How high up the range would you want to go? Would you get more pleasure from a car which cost 10 times as much as your current one than you would from a car which cost only twice as much as your current one?
waremark

Postby JamesAllport » Sat May 09, 2015 3:41 pm

waremark wrote:
JamesAllport wrote:Alpina D3 Touring.

Alpina blue please with one of Alpina's "classic" (read questionable) two tone leather interiors.

James

How do you choose between that and a pure BMW offering?

A very fair question. I think, to pick up on your challenge to Silk, that I'd enjoy a 320d at least 90% as much as a D3 and, truth to tell, probably get 85% of that enjoyment from my current battered 2005 diesel Vauxhall. I love driving and the car plays second fiddle to that.

But I drove a D3 recently and was delighted by how cohesive it felt, how good the ride was, and how cool the Alpina turbine alloys are. So if I could I think that would seal the deal.

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum